Reaching our first couple of hurdles with Maui, suggestions?

KalieLovesBirds

Jul 30, 2015
Parrots
Ruby- 5 y.o. CAG;
Pharaoh, Emmy, and Sky-Quakers of unknown age;
Maui- 8 m.o. Catalina macaw
Hey all!

I wanted to start out by saying Maui is doing well. It has been a learning experience for both of us but he is stepping up on command and comes waddling to my arm when his name is called and he is on the floor. He is also attempting to mimic words in that cute broken macaw voice and I am excited for when the words become a little clearer. He is also picking up words from my grey as he is now attempting the word 'cracker.' I have yet to get some updated pictures of him posted, but they will be coming.

Any who, I am in need of some advice on a couple of things:
First of all, he LOVES when he gets to come out of his cage (as does just about any other bird), so much so that he actually jumps like a toucan from his perch to the cage door when he knows he is coming out and will step up perfectly when the door is opened. The problem is getting him back in to the cage. He can be out of the cage all day but once he has to go back, that is where a little bit of trouble starts. At first, he would go back in and step down onto his perch no problem. I am guessing this is due to the fact that it was a new environment in the beginning but he did adjust rather quickly. However, now when he is to go back in he either extends his neck as far as he can like a turtle so that his beak can grasp some part of the cage in the process or he waits until you get your arm in the cage and then runs up your arm so that your arm is in the cage so the door cannot be closed so that he can squeeze out. I am wondering how to break this behavior. I can grab and hold onto his beak when I go to put him in the cage so that he cannot grab the door or side of the cage but as soon as I get him into the cage he will not step down and either runs up my arm or holds onto my hand.

Secondly, he still doesn't fully understand the power in his beak and at times bites/grabs a little harder than is needed. I do not think he is testing his boundaries yet and I think it is more of just not knowing his power but I could be wrong. Regardless, None of us react to it because we do not want to 1. startle him and/or 2. give him a reaction that is going to reinforce it. What can we do to help keep the 'bite pressure' for lack of a better term, lower? Is grabbing and holding his beak gently but firmly at the same time and saying no appropriate?

Lastly, (and this isn't something that is an always occurring issue) in the beginning he was open to anyone and everyone holding him. Once in awhile though, there will be times where someone who hasn't been over in awhile comes over and approaches him he cowers on his perch (or the floor if he is walking around). Once in awhile he will lunge if he is on the ground but it is not followed by a bite, and again, this isn't something that is always occurring anytime a 'stranger' comes around. It is just occasionally. And sometimes the lunge is due to be startled. I am just wondering if there are any suggestions about this as while this isn't a major problem right now, I do not want it to progress into something major. I am guessing that figuring out ways to bring him around new people more often would help alleviate part of this problem and making sure that on the slight chance he does have the empty threat of a lunge, that they do not react.

Thank you guys!

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
First problem? This is pretty universal. Two suggestions on this one:

1. Some sort of favorite treat in the cage when he goes back, so he has an incentive/reward for being a good bird.

2. Two fingers on the beak to keep him from latching onto anything and set him down feet first before letting go of the beak. (Then be quick cuz the race is on.)

Second problem? BITE PRESSURE TRAIN THIS BIRD!!! Not optional with a macaw.

3. Just needs to be handled by more people. One of the things I used to do with my rehabs is take them to the park, and get them used to all sorts of strangers.... These are pair bond birds. If allowed to "pair up" with one person. They will. Then they start refusing to go to anyone who isn't their person... PAIR BOND BIRDS REQUIRE EXTRA SOCIALIZATION WORK.

OP
KalieLovesBirds

KalieLovesBirds

Jul 30, 2015
Parrots
Ruby- 5 y.o. CAG;
Pharaoh, Emmy, and Sky-Quakers of unknown age;
Maui- 8 m.o. Catalina macaw
thank you. We have been holding his beak while putting him back in the cage but will have to maneuver him on our hands in a way that we can get him to onto the perch instead of clinging to our arms.

As far as bite pressure training goes, I know bite pressure training is something you HAVE to do with any macaw, I've just never done it before. I will look into this in order to see the best way to approach this.

As far as bonding to only one person, he has bonded to all three of us equally. I know he needs to be well socialized with an abundance of people. My concern with taking him around people that are even strangers to me is that the mentality of many people today concerns me. While I do not think he would bite, and I have studied up on the behaviors and signals of a mac that is warning that I bite is coming, accidents do still happen.

Most Reactions