Really depressed after vet visit.

lplummer52

Apr 19, 2016
Indialantic, FL
Parrots
"Birdie". Sun Conure
Slept most of the day and keeps picking up leg where blood was drawn from toenail. He's been sitting on my chest for the last half hour acting like a baby chick. Sorta sitting on his tummy and flapping his wings and clucking. What s this? Spent a lot of time in his cage in the snugly today which he never does except at night. I'm not sure whether to be worried or not. I could feed him a sunflower seed, but I was read the riot act by the vet yesterday. I'm sorta sad because his whole personality changed in one day!

BIRDIGIRL

Jan 25, 2016
Mayo Ireland
Parrots
Rodney Blue Fronted Amazon
RIP Mr Biggles White Fronted Amazon , Elsa and Little Nellow the Lutino Budgies, Lady Primrose a Pied Budgie and English Budgies Houdini Popeye and Olive
Slept most of the day and keeps picking up leg where blood was drawn from toenail. He's been sitting on my chest for the last half hour acting like a baby chick. Sorta sitting on his tummy and flapping his wings and clucking. What s this? Spent a lot of time in his cage in the snugly today which he never does except at night. I'm not sure whether to be worried or not. I could feed him a sunflower seed, but I was read the riot act by the vet yesterday. I'm sorta sad because his whole personality changed in one day!
...was he treated for something at the vets...how did the blood get drawn from his toe nail was it clipped too short ? If so it could be sore. That may be why you see a change in his personality and why he is lifting up the leg. I think it would be no harm to offer him one sunflower seed or even two. Is he eating and drinking ? How old is he and is he deffinitely a boy.could he be a girl and nesting... it might help if you could post a video of his behaviour. Dont be depressed somebody here will very likely be able to tell you whats happening once they see his behaviour and why this sudden change of behaviour occurred and if its any help Im betting this behaviour wont last long and before you know it he will be back to himself again. Hang in there

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
macaw,LS2,congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,Hawkhead,yellowstrk lory,Blue frnt amazon,sun conure ,Yellow sided greencheek ,Goffin ,Rosebreasted Cockatoo,Greenwing Macaw,Blue and Gold Macaw,Nanday conure,Ecle
Hes looking to you for comfort though . Im sure the vet visit was very scary for him [and his toe hurts]. Be patient he will figure things out . Give him the sunflower seed :)

Brittany741

Feb 9, 2015
Atlanta, GA
Parrots
SI Eclectus (Ruby) - 11 / Eclectus (Wrangler) - 7 / Eclectus (Pinto) - 6 /
Red Sided Eclectus (Oliver) - 4 mos. /
White Bellied Caique (Dan) - 2 /
Foster Congo African Grey (Molly) - 6
I'm always sad to hear when blood is drawn from a toenail ��

He definitely needs mama right now and then a good night's sleep. His nail should feel better in a few days but in the mean time, be sure he is getting plenty of food and water. This would be a great time to offer his favorite fresh fruits and vegetables.

miloslave

May 17, 2010
South Africa - Cape Town
Parrots
Mustache Parakeet - Milo
CAG - Charlie
Hi there. Sometimes birdies act a bit differently after a new experience, almost like they need time to process. But mostly they bounce back pretty quickly. Give it a day or two and your baby should be back to its normal self. A sunflower seed will not hurt, but try to limit it to the absolute minimum.

Mom to Charlie and Milo

OP
lplummer52

lplummer52

Apr 19, 2016
Indialantic, FL
Parrots
"Birdie". Sun Conure
Okay everybody. First thanks for all the concern! He/she is only 7 months old and I was getting his first wellness check, plus,clipping toenails and a blood draw for DNA sexing. Aaaargh! I don't really care about the sex, but I thought I'd have this done so that if in the future "she" is egg bound, I'll have a clue. The vet visit was only about 15 minutes, but he's never been wrapped in a towel before or had his nails clipped or even been in the car since I brought him home from the breeder. I got him all used to the carrier a couple days beforehand, so he wasn't scared of that and went in willingly. The vet said stool sample was negative, heart and lungs were good, good weight, clear nose and eyes. I'd been having a few training sessions with him using sunflower seeds as treats, so that's what the vet saw in his stool. Something else he was sending in the blood sample for....some dreaded disease that parrots get. He said there were 12 or 13 other things he could test for, but I got the economy exam...HA! He's better this morning, but still holding that foot up when he doesn't need it. He's eating fine. He's confused because he's just learning to fly from place to place and can't get a good grip on some things, like my clothes. It's like what a cat must feel like if it's been de-clawed....ugh. Anyway, I feel better now and think he does too. :orange:

Sucre

Jan 16, 2016
Kentucky
Parrots
Sun conure, black capped conure, yellow sided conure, and a turquoise IRN
When we took our U2 to the vet for nail, beak and wing trim, he refused to look at us or make one sound for exactly 24 hours. If we would try to talk to him, he would turn his back on us. He pouted inside his cage and would not come out.

Almost exactly 24 hours later, I walked over to him and said "Poor Sucre. Are you in a better mood today?" He looked up at me and said "Life is not fair", and he was over it.

I think it's traumatic for them. Add the blood draw on top of everything else and he's entitled to pout and be babied for a few days. And give him the sunflower seed!

Most Reactions

Latest posts