Reason for flight feather shape?

MTG

May 22, 2019
Cambridgeshire, UK
Parrots
Quaker Parrot,
Congo African Grey
So I've noticed as my Quaker is moulting this year that his flight feathers all have (in varying degrees) a little protrusion or fin near the tip. I have done a preliminary Google search but can't find a clear answer as to what purpose these serve.

Does anybody here know? I'd love to know what they are for!
18a38f55f792f1cc1700befc9d317565.jpg
43d717a8ad1765dbd54a8f7f7b14fe53.jpg

Sent from my Mi MIX 3 using Tapatalk

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
As you have arranged the five feathers, the leading (cutting) edge is to the top with the trailing edge at the bottom of each feather.

The barb or lifting (alinement) segment of the feather helps keep the wing feather positioned and reduces the torque load on the base of the feather, which allows the muscle and bone structure to be lighter. Another way of looking at it is the barb supports the outer section of the feather, thus sharing the load with the next feather. In addition, in the down (compression stoke they assure alinement, which traps a greater volume of air. In the lifting motion of the wing, the barb allows air to flow in, which increases the volume of air that can be compressed during the next down stroke.

It is very important to understand that Birds are by design, flyers! Near everything supports flight.

OP
M

MTG

May 22, 2019
Cambridgeshire, UK
Parrots
Quaker Parrot,
Congo African Grey
Amazing.

That makes so much sense, thank you.

They really are amazing creatures.

cnyguy

Apr 23, 2010
Syracuse, NY
Parrots
Quaker parrot, Ralph
Those are called emarginate feathers, and several other kinds of birds have them, including some eagles.

Most Reactions