Recommendations for a Carrier Cage for a Lovebird

yoelleoy

Mar 6, 2017
Sweden
Parrots
"Jojo" Lovebird
So I recently noticed that the wooden carrier cage that my bird came in is starting to crack. I don't trust the carrier anymore and I do not wanna risk having the carrier cage just collapse mid travel. So I was looking for any recommendations for a good small cage that is suitable for a single lovebird. Preferably with the door on one of the walls instead of on the roof (I have no idea how one is supposed to put their bird in from the roof without grabbing them in a way they dislike)

reeb

Oct 23, 2017
Media
Albums
Cape Town, South Africa
Parrots
Berry (♀ Cockatiel) hatched June 2017
Opal (♂ Budgie) hatched 13 August 2017
Pearl (♀ Budgie) hatched 15 August 2017
+ an aviary of 16 other budgies! all hatched 2014-2017
I second that idea! You can also just get a small affordable cage. In South Africa they don’t usually sell/import dedicated travel cages (and they are quite expensive anyway), so I just got a $20-$30 small cage. This is definitely a great option for a small bird like a lovebird!

EDIT:

So for e.g. I use this for a single budgie. I did a bit of digging and found the picture I took of it in the pet shop. I bought some more comfortable non-plastic perches (and I immediately got rid of that terrible plastic swing haha), some better food containers, and it works perfectly as a travel cage as it has a handle. It only cost me R195 for the cage, or around $17! And probably only $3 for the extra bowls and perches.

a03564b2df399341c2d83e5c2c40cf8a.jpg

Last edited:

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
I'd just get one of those tiny "budgie cages", like what Reeb posted a pic of. $20 new, even cheaper from a thrift store or garage sale (be certain to thoroughly sterilize!).

OutlawedSpirit

Apr 12, 2016
Northern Illinois, USA
Parrots
Bo - DYH ~ Gus - CAG ~ Twitch - Linnie ~ Apple - Pineapple GCC ~ Goliath - Quaker ~ Squish - Peach face Lovebird
I would say either a small cat carrier, they are relatively easy to drill holes into to put a perch in the side so you could hang small food and water dishes on the front door if you wanted, or a small budgie cage as others have said.

I will say that I have found pretty cheap small budgie cages on Amazon that I used to buy when I bred parrotlets as travel cages to send them home in as I liked them better than some of the tiny travel cages I've seen other places. I will second the idea of using twist ties or cable ties to secure the cage though to ensure it stays together. I do that with any cage that folds down or isn't held together with bolts, however, as I tend to be overly paranoid.

OP
Y

yoelleoy

Mar 6, 2017
Sweden
Parrots
"Jojo" Lovebird
Thanks for the advice! I was also wondering, how does travelling with your bird work? Both for plane travels and for shorter train and boat travels. Should I keep him covered all the time? Do I bring him myself or have some kind of service help me deliver him?

Most Reactions