Red Fronted Macaw - Questions for Owners

Seagulls

Jul 29, 2013
Parrots
Leon - Blue-Fronted Amazon | Damian - Goffin's Cockatoo
I've been saving up for a macaw for a few months now, and while I initially picked out the Gentle Giant, the Green Wing... My family who would need to deal with the bird are very uncomfortable with that size. So, I was looking into the Red Fronted.

In my research into them I am getting the most conflicting descriptions of them, likely because they are relatively new macaws as pets. Some say they're like the Green Wing in temperament, others say they're nippy, even mean.

Having dealt with my share of abused and neglected birds, I am fine with nippy. I just want to know, from people that have dealt with these birds face to face, what their experience with the breed has been. (I also like the idea of the Red Front since its size is closer to that of my current birds, even if I'd never let them physically interact. A little bit of OCD!)

JJones1719

Mar 9, 2011
Media
MD
Parrots
7 Year old SI Eclectus named Guapo, I have a 6 year old GW Macaw named Neleno
Red fronted macaws are very rare and from what I have read about them their nature is to be gentle as they are very young but as they mature and with lots of interaction, they can make very good pets. Most Macaws can be hormonal as they mature and need their alone time.

The thing that you must remember no matter what macaw your are interested in, you only get back what you put into it.
It's very true that your gentle giants are the Hy and Green Wing Macaws. However, I do know some that are not so gentle.
The Hy and Green wing who are loving and gentle are just amazing and like no other Macaw you will ever meet.

Best of luck Joe

OP
S

Seagulls

Jul 29, 2013
Parrots
Leon - Blue-Fronted Amazon | Damian - Goffin's Cockatoo
Luckily, I know a breeder that does breed Red Fronts. It is sad that the way things are going, this beautiful breed might only be sustainable in captivity. ):

And honestly, I am fine with birds acting like birds. They're wild animals, they're not in my home to amuse me. They are lifelong room mates that want to eat all my food, and sometimes just don't want to be bothered. My interest in the supposedly docile types of macaws has been primarily for the benefit of those also living in the house.

I've had a macaw before. A poor thing that had been badly abused. His beak was all deformed (chronically), and needed trimmed up more often than I could get out of the house. So, now that macaw is with another member of the local Parrot Society. I miss that little bugger, though. Simply have to have another in my life. ^_^

noblemacaw

Sep 23, 2011
Parrots
Valentino - Red Fronted Macaw - Hatched August 12, 2012
I have wanted a RFM since 1997. Back then the price tag was way out of my reach. The local breeder that had them got out of birds and I put it out of my mind for years.

I found a breeder of RFM in 2011. I took the time to develop a relationship with the breeder and not only did she help me learn so much more about the RFM but she helped me though a very difficult time when my 17 year old Noble macaw died.

RFM's have a reputation of being very loud as babies but will mellow as they get older with the yelling. I have also had a second breeder recently tell me some people don't make it though the first year with a RFM. I visited my Noble macaw breeder whom I have known over 20 years and he describes the RFM as "very busy parrots that are like of giant conures."

My experience with my baby Valentino is as this. He was bred very very well by a RFM breeder that knows what she is doing. She has been working the the species for over 20 years and Valentino came to me very well adjusted and healthy. He was well socialized and for a baby his feathers were perfect condition.

He was not as loud as I thought he would be but in no way is he quiet either. I consider him to normally vocalize and never in the extreme. As a baby he did scream but he jabbered a lot. He like to talk a lot when he is in his cage during independent play time (I work out of my office about 6 to 7 hours a day so this is time Valentino is in his cage) One day when he was a little older than 5 months he started talking clearly. It was out of the blue. One day he just started talking and I really thought someone was downstairs so it kind of freaked me out. RFM are flock callers which is why they can be LOUD. Instead of screaming Valentino will call to me talking saying things like "MOMMA!", "COME HERE!", LOVE YOU!", of course he also will scream his calls but since he has begun talking he screams less.

I do not consider Valentino nippy but he will grab tiny amounts of skin in such a way I can't feel it until he tries to pull it. I describe it as pinching. Valentino is not a biter at all. He can nip pretty good but he has never used full pressure, ripped out flesh or any other horrible parrot biting scenarios.

One aspect of Valentino's character I had and still have a hard time with is his propensity to run up my chest and grab at my face with his beak. I don't care how tame a parrot is but I can't handle that behavior. He has grabbed my eyebrow, cheek, lip, nose, bridge of my nose. I cannot STAND when he does this and have taken GREAT EFFORT to train him that this is not acceptable. I am not another RFM who can withstand this behavior so I have taught him the command "gentle" and he understands it.

One more thing I think is normal for RFM is their love to hang off of you and nip at the clothes grabbing them and pulling the shirt. Valentino will hand from my ponytail (I have very long hair) and he will sing like a monkey squealing like a freak and bite at my hair. sometimes he will nip the back of my neck and I also hate that. If he does this behavior on my shoulder by shoving his head in the crook and shaking his head back and forth slapping me with his head he will sometimes grab my neck. I raise my shoulder to my ear and block him and shove him off commanding him to fly to his tree.

Valentino also came to me fully flighted. I believe a RFM would not be very happy without the ability to fly. They fly so uniquely I think this is part of who they are and to clip them would take away part of personality. Yes he is confident and full of himself but I love that about him.

What I cannot live without in my RFM is how affectionate he is. When we are spending quiet time together he will become a pile of feathered mush. They call this the RFM meltdown. Without warning they will go limp with you and will roll on you. You better be prepared to catch them and never drop your RFM. When Valentino is on my chest lying on his side I always had my arm behind him so he will not roll off of me.

RFM are not for people without parrot experience. They are very unique parrots that I can appreciate the good and bad. I really love mine and do not regret my decision to get one.
100_2399_zpsedefa79a.jpg

Valentino is a pile of feathered mush in this picture. I really love this parrot very much. He will be 1 year old on August 12th. I know I will "make it though the first year" and he will be my companion for many many years.

Abigal7

Jun 17, 2012
United States of America/ Kansas
Parrots
Captain Jack (Hahn's macaw)

Clover (green cheek conure)
I have wanted a RFM since 1997. Back then the price tag was way out of my reach. The local breeder that had them got out of birds and I put it out of my mind for years.

I found a breeder of RFM in 2011. I took the time to develop a relationship with the breeder and not only did she help me learn so much more about the RFM but she helped me though a very difficult time when my 17 year old Noble macaw died.

RFM's have a reputation of being very loud as babies but will mellow as they get older with the yelling. I have also had a second breeder recently tell me some people don't make it though the first year with a RFM. I visited my Noble macaw breeder whom I have known over 20 years and he describes the RFM as "very busy parrots that are like of giant conures."

My experience with my baby Valentino is as this. He was bred very very well by a RFM breeder that knows what she is doing. She has been working the the species for over 20 years and Valentino came to me very well adjusted and healthy. He was well socialized and for a baby his feathers were perfect condition.

He was not as loud as I thought he would be but in no way is he quiet either. I consider him to normally vocalize and never in the extreme. As a baby he did scream but he jabbered a lot. He like to talk a lot when he is in his cage during independent play time (I work out of my office about 6 to 7 hours a day so this is time Valentino is in his cage) One day when he was a little older than 5 months he started talking clearly. It was out of the blue. One day he just started talking and I really thought someone was downstairs so it kind of freaked me out. RFM are flock callers which is why they can be LOUD. Instead of screaming Valentino will call to me talking saying things like "MOMMA!", "COME HERE!", LOVE YOU!", of course he also will scream his calls but since he has begun talking he screams less.

I do not consider Valentino nippy but he will grab tiny amounts of skin in such a way I can't feel it until he tries to pull it. I describe it as pinching. Valentino is not a biter at all. He can nip pretty good but he has never used full pressure, ripped out flesh or any other horrible parrot biting scenarios.

One aspect of Valentino's character I had and still have a hard time with is his propensity to run up my chest and grab at my face with his beak. I don't care how tame a parrot is but I can't handle that behavior. He has grabbed my eyebrow, cheek, lip, nose, bridge of my nose. I cannot STAND when he does this and have taken GREAT EFFORT to train him that this is not acceptable. I am not another RFM who can withstand this behavior so I have taught him the command "gentle" and he understands it.

One more thing I think is normal for RFM is their love to hang off of you and nip at the clothes grabbing them and pulling the shirt. Valentino will hand from my ponytail (I have very long hair) and he will sing like a monkey squealing like a freak and bite at my hair. sometimes he will nip the back of my neck and I also hate that. If he does this behavior on my shoulder by shoving his head in the crook and shaking his head back and forth slapping me with his head he will sometimes grab my neck. I raise my shoulder to my ear and block him and shove him off commanding him to fly to his tree.

Valentino also came to me fully flighted. I believe a RFM would not be very happy without the ability to fly. They fly so uniquely I think this is part of who they are and to clip them would take away part of personality. Yes he is confident and full of himself but I love that about him.

What I cannot live without in my RFM is how affectionate he is. When we are spending quiet time together he will become a pile of feathered mush. They call this the RFM meltdown. Without warning they will go limp with you and will roll on you. You better be prepared to catch them and never drop your RFM. When Valentino is on my chest lying on his side I always had my arm behind him so he will not roll off of me.

RFM are not for people without parrot experience. They are very unique parrots that I can appreciate the good and bad. I really love mine and do not regret my decision to get one.
100_2399_zpsedefa79a.jpg

Valentino is a pile of feathered mush in this picture. I really love this parrot very much. He will be 1 year old on August 12th. I know I will "make it though the first year" and he will be my companion for many many years.

Noblemacaw I enjoy reading your experience with Macaws. Captain Jack puts his beak over his foot or leg sometimes. He is focused on my face and glasses (he will put his beak on my face on glasses (but never bitten down roughly and never so far tried to bite me and make me bleed). He hangs downwards on my shirt if he sees something or if he sees buttons on my shirt. I guess this is just a macaw thing?

Most Reactions