Red kites at Gigrin Farm

Jayyj

Apr 28, 2013
UK
Parrots
Alice - Galah cockatoo
Ok, this isn't parrot or pet related but I thought it might be of interest to some of you. It's an interesting success story as far as conservation goes and a great experience for an amateur photographer...

For those of you outside of Europe, red kites are our equivalent of turkey vultures: large soaring birds that primarily clean up carrion. Unfortunately in the UK a few hundred years of shooting, poisoning and habitat destruction pretty much drove the species out of the country and by the 1980s there were less than 20 surviving birds living in a colony in the middle of Wales.

At that point a group of local farmers began a campaign to protect them, laying out fresh meat so that the birds were guaranteed healthy food and would remain in an area they were safe from shotguns. Pretty soon the mid-Wales population was flourishing and the rescue effort inspired other projects to reintroduce the species elsewhere in the country. Today there are several thousand of them in the UK.

One of those original Welsh farmers eventually turned his kite feeding into a tourist attraction where you can watch from a hide whilst the birds come in for their dinner. It attracts over 100 birds including kites, buzzards, ravens and rooks and it must be one of the most spectacular things you can see in the bird world. I went over there this week with my camera and took these:

OP
Jayyj

Jayyj

Apr 28, 2013
UK
Parrots
Alice - Galah cockatoo
Some of the other visitors:

Buzzard keeping a close eye on things

Raven

A quizzical rook

Tempers fraying between kite, buzzard and the local crows

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Awesome photos, thanks for sharing! They look to be quite large birdies :eek:

In the 6th photo,the birdie in the middle of the shot,looks to be flyin' off with some nummys in his hand.

I would have loved being there with you,truly an awesome sight to see.

Jim

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
WOW! What an amazing sight that must have been! I wish I had been there with you as well, your pictures are breathtaking. Truly a wonderful thing they did for these birds, I love success stories.

OP
Jayyj

Jayyj

Apr 28, 2013
UK
Parrots
Alice - Galah cockatoo

In the 6th photo,the birdie in the middle of the shot,looks to be flyin' off with some nummys in his hand.

Jim

Thanks!

They're probably about the size of a turkey vulture and very delicately built so they hang in the sky on the slightest wind current, so yeah, they're pretty large - they dwarfed the couple of ravens that were hanging around! Buzzards are closely related to red tailed hawks but smaller and less agressive.

Their feeding approach is unusual: they snatch the food off the ground and eat it in flight rather than landing to eat like the corvids did, or carrying it away to eat at a rest post as most birds of prey would - I really wanted to get a photo of one eating but nothing I got was sharp enough focus. Gives me an excuse to go back again though...

OP
Jayyj

Jayyj

Apr 28, 2013
UK
Parrots
Alice - Galah cockatoo
WOW! What an amazing sight that must have been! I wish I had been there with you as well, your pictures are breathtaking. Truly a wonderful thing they did for these birds, I love success stories.

Thank you! I actually did two trips this week to see conservation projects for birds that were nearly wiped out - the other was an osprey project. In both cases it was incredible to see the work that people are prepared to put in to turn around the fortunes of the animals.

OutlawedSpirit

Apr 12, 2016
Northern Illinois, USA
Parrots
Bo - DYH ~ Gus - CAG ~ Twitch - Linnie ~ Apple - Pineapple GCC ~ Goliath - Quaker ~ Squish - Peach face Lovebird
Those are some awesome photographs. I have always been fascinated by birds of prey.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon

Jim

Thanks!

They're probably about the size of a turkey vulture and very delicately built so they hang in the sky on the slightest wind current, so yeah, they're pretty large - they dwarfed the couple of ravens that were hanging around! Buzzards are closely related to red tailed hawks but smaller and less agressive.

Their feeding approach is unusual: they snatch the food off the ground and eat it in flight rather than landing to eat like the corvids did, or carrying it away to eat at a rest post as most birds of prey would - I really wanted to get a photo of one eating but nothing I got was sharp enough focus. Gives me an excuse to go back again though...

Your statement that the buzzards being a closely related to red tailed hawks is clear. We have at least three families that use the Southeast corner of our home as high-speed turn training for their young every late Summer /Fall. The feather outline is a dead ringer.

Great pictures! Thanks for sharing!

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
"Their feeding approach is unusual: they snatch the food off the ground and eat it in flight rather than landing to eat like the corvids did, or carrying it away to eat at a rest post as most birds of prey would"

Chowing down on the "run"...errr...flight...like most of us here in the U.S.of.A lol.

Jim

Most Reactions