Red-Winged Parrot?

RodOutback

Nov 23, 2014
Folks,

I have spent my whole life under the belief that the Red-Winged Parrots we see in our garden, were Lorikeets?

Reading a bit more info this morning, I suspect the definition of a Lorikeet (tongue adapted for nectar??) EXCLUDES these parrots from being called a Lorikeet.

Am I right?

Attached are a couple of images of the bird I'm talking about. I think his scientific name is Aprosmictus erythropterus.

Are these parrots ever bred in captivity? I seem to be reading that they don't play nice with others, and I don't seem to find them mentioned much anywhere. So, I wondered if they do have a following.

There are a group of between 6 and 10 of these birds that appear in our homestead garden every few weeks, and usually hang around for a few days. I note they are usually around when the temp climbs above 40 degrees Celsius, as it did last week.

When we have some (of that mythical) green grass around, there is a small melon that grows wild; locally called a PaddyMelon. It is about the size of a large grape, and has a strong smell similar to a cucumber. Interior flesh seems to be much like a Lebanese cucumber, though it is far too bitter for me to try eating one...
I do recall some enterprising people have made jam from them.
However, the red-Wings seems to find them a great snack, and will spend days in the garden; munching their way through all they can find. One of the attached images from 2006 shows a male, holding one of the Paddymelons in one claw.

For those interested, there are a number of other Red-winged parrot images uploaded to my Photobucket site (link should be in my signature). Not the best of images; I have upgraded the camera a number of times since these images were taken, but for some reason, have neglected to update the Red-Wing photos.

Yesterday, we had a group of 16 Red-Tailed Black Cockatoos wheezing it up in one gum tree in the house yard, for a few hours.
Of course; as soon as I went to retrieve the camera from the car, they had places to be....sigh.

Bloody wildlife....

Attachments

• Red-Wing Lorikeet 2504 2006 011-01.jpg
    Red-Wing Lorikeet 2504 2006 011-01.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 249
  • Redwing Parrots 2211 2005 004-01.jpg
    Redwing Parrots 2211 2005 004-01.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 220
OP
R

RodOutback

Nov 23, 2014
Ooops.... Thought I'd included the image with the bird holding a paddymelon, but you can find it on the Photobucket site.

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
Try looking at Bourkes parakeets, though I'm not an aficionado, I'm also not sure that one or both of your birds are a true specie or hybrids.....

OP
R

RodOutback

Nov 23, 2014
Yeah.....I think I have explained myself wrong.

I know what species they are, and the latest bird book calls them 'Red-Winged Parrots', though I have mistakenly believed they were a type of lorikeet..
I think I had the correct species name in my initial post.
Definately not a 'Bourkes Parakeet', and definately not a hybrid. From the bird book, the pair in the photo are male and female. When the male takes flight, he is very pretty.

I was really trying to find out if people keep them in captivity at all, and what other parrots are of a similar type to these.

These birds in the photos arent caged; they are wild, and just visit my garden about once a week or so...

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
The common name is Crimson Winged parakeet :).

My avian vet had one for years until it died recently. Maybe they're more popular in aviary circles, than as pet birds, but I'm sure more so in Australia.

Mekaisto

Jan 8, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
Zookeeper who has worked with many bird species, and owner of a cheeky red-tailed black cockatoo (Ash)
Yep, they're actually not lorikeets, as they don't eat nectar, they eat seeds :)

They are found in captivity, although they have a bad habit of dropping dead from stress! VERY easily stressed, and hard to keep.

Most Reactions