Redoing bathroom.. Can't board?

LoveMyConlan

Mar 31, 2015
Media
Pennsylvania, USA
Parrots
Gcc- Conlan... Sun Conure- Mouse...Jenday- Kellan... RLA- Happy...B&G Macaw- Rhage
So in my area, Parrot boarding is hard to find. Especially for large birds.

We are redoing the upstairs bathroom (new shower, paint, ect). And even with the low/no VOC paint, I'm worried about my birds being back the hall from their.

Other than moving them downstairs with their air purifier and their heater, boarding is my only option.

My Conures and my Zon are staying at a friend's house. My Macaw is the one I'm having an issue with. His travel cage is a large wire dog crate, and whole he can movie around, turn, climb, and it's about another Half his size long, I don't think it's big enough for him to live in for a few days. And most places around that are bird safe/reputatible don't take large birds.

Any ideas? Do you think he'd be safe in the basement level room with his heater and air purifier? It's on the other end of the house downstairs with a closed door to the steps.

The issue is that the laundry room, which has the laundry shoot, is across the hall from the downstairs room, the shoot is attached to the upstairs bathroom. The shoot has a door.

We are painting, redoing the walls behind the shower, putting in a new bathtub, tile the walls, and new toilet and vanity. Also redoing the pipes behind the shower, which need soldered.

So.... Any suggestions?

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Warm air raises, while cool air falls!
Window fans can be placed to blow air out of a room!

With a two story home that has a basement. Commonly, the safest floor is the first floor. Lighter and warm things rise and heavier and cooler things fall.

Let me know if you need more detail.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
I'd call some pet stores....some will board.....a pet smart near me literally has an animal hotel. And if there is a independent pet shop they often times will board.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Get a good air purifier rated for 2-3X larger space than the bathroom that is also rated for filtering VOCs to use INSIDE the bathroom (running a dehumidifier will also help in drying the paint faster). Be warned, not all air purifiers are VOC rated and thus won't help in filtering out any paint fumes.

We "refinished" (i.e. apply this horrendously caustic smelling enamel/epoxy type stuff that would likely have been best left to professionals) to our bath/shower. Our bathroom has no window or ventilation and we're in a small condo. That stuff smelled like it could kill a human if you breathed the fumes without a gas mask. Oil based exterior paints don't hold a candle to how badly this stuff smelled. Even wearing a proper mask and goggles it was still burning my throat and eyes while I was applying it. We had to wear the VOC rated mask to use the bathroom until the stuff dried. Running (in the bathroom) the dehumidifier at 35% and the VOC rated air purifier on high in combination and keeping the bathroom door shut/towels jammed under the door to prevent the smell from seeping out, the odor was very faint by day 2 and completely gone within 3 days. That's a very caustic odor with no outside ventilation. The smell never seeped out into the rest of the condo and Kiwi was fine (we moved him into the office temporarily and kept that door closed).

Pretty sure if you use the same precautions (moving birds away from the bathroom, air purifier, keeping the door shut, dehumidifier to speed up drying etc...) with interior low VOC paint, you'll be fine in regards to your birds.

Last edited:

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month ๐Ÿ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
We are having a new kitchen floor put in, totally riping the old ones out to the sub-flooring. We plan on staying at a pet friendly hotel for 3 days.

Tami2

Aug 18, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Levi - 6 yr old CAG

DOH-4/2/2016
Get a good air purifier rated for 2-3X larger space than the bathroom that is also rated for filtering VOCs to use INSIDE the bathroom (running a dehumidifier will also help in drying the paint faster). Be warned, not all air purifiers are VOC rated and thus won't help in filtering out any paint fumes.

We "refinished" (i.e. apply this horrendously caustic smelling enamel/epoxy type stuff that would likely have been best left to professionals) to our bath/shower. Our bathroom has no window or ventilation and we're in a small condo. That stuff smelled like it could kill a human if you breathed the fumes without a gas mask. Oil based exterior paints don't hold a candle to how badly this stuff smelled. Even wearing a proper mask and goggles it was still burning my throat and eyes while I was applying it. We had to wear the VOC rated mask to use the bathroom until the stuff dried. Running (in the bathroom) the dehumidifier at 35% and the VOC rated air purifier on high in combination and keeping the bathroom door shut/towels jammed under the door to prevent the smell from seeping out, the odor was very faint by day 2 and completely gone within 3 days. That's a very caustic odor with no outside ventilation. The smell never seeped out into the rest of the condo and Kiwi was fine (we moved him into the office temporarily and kept that door closed).

Pretty sure if you use the same precautions (moving birds away from the bathroom, air purifier, keeping the door shut, dehumidifier to speed up drying etc...) with interior low VOC paint, you'll be fine in regards to your birds.

Thank You Kiwibird for this detailed post. :heart:
We are kicking around remodeling one of our bathrooms in the future and were wondering how to protect Levi during the process.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Thank You Kiwibird for this detailed post. :heart:
We are kicking around remodeling one of our bathrooms in the future and were wondering how to protect Levi during the process.

Just a note to add onto my prior post for everyone looking to do bathroom updates, I do *not* suggest refinishing your tub/shower with one of those kits like we did. Hire a professional and leave the house for a few days if you need to do that (or replace the whole unit if it's in your budget)! We knew it would have an odor but were pretty shocked just how strong it was when applied and during the curing process. It was also a serious PITA preparing the surfaces properly to prevent future peeling. Thankfully we got through that project safely but I probably wouldn't do it again.

When we put in new flooring in the next year or so, we plan to paint the bathroom walls and I feel 100% safe using the air purifier and dehumidifier combo for that task:) In fact, I've done painting (furniture) in our office using that combo and there was no smell at all and paint was 100% dry in a matter of hours. Dehumidifier on a low setting is the key to fast drying paint for sure!

Last edited:

Most Reactions