Parrots
Neytiri -CAG 4/11/12
Scooter Pie -Caique 8/12
Butch - citronella 'too 1988
Skittles - caique 4/13
Ringo - caique 2009
Chica - caique 2006
Rascal - RBC 2001
After Neytiri's first vet appointment where they chipped her it has been difficult to get her to eat. After a week and a half I stopped back at the shop with her to talk to the owners. They reassured me that it wasn't my fault and that it happens sometimes. They also gave me some formula and said to mix it in a bowl for her a couple times a day. They said it will probably take a week or so and she will wean off it again.

Has this happened to your baby and how did you handle it? Any other suggestions to help her eat right again?

Thanks
Sassy​

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Are you weighing her daily ? hard to believe she's not eating for 10 days. maybe she's not eating from your hand ? The man handling they get at the vet's can turn them. Do you go in with her? I don't think it's the clipping but more of an issue where she was restrained by force. Trust issues now. Has she ever been spoon feed as a baby? maybe using a spoon instead will help with regaining her trust in hands.

OP
S

Sassy

Jun 4, 2012
Bethlehem PA
Parrots
Neytiri -CAG 4/11/12
Scooter Pie -Caique 8/12
Skittles - caique 4/13
Ringo - caique 2009
Chica - caique 2006
Rascal - RBC 2001
I weigh her every couple of days (sometimes I forget)... SHe whas microchipped at the vet not clipped. I was not in the room for that but they said she did very well and didn't fuss much... they were able to carry her on their hand to and from the room. She would eat a little at home just not enough... she would eat oatmeal and peas... and nuts (several types) but no pellets. SHe would also have a variety of other fresh items available but she wouldn't touch them. She has no issues with hands at all... just no interest in food.

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Sorry , miss read that. i assume anesthesia was used, which means she wouldn't remember the experience when she awoke. Guess i don't understand what changed before and after the visit? If she's never eaten pellets before then that's another topic. maybe it's the regression part that has me confused, BTW i'm easy to confuse.

OP
S

Sassy

Jun 4, 2012
Bethlehem PA
Parrots
Neytiri -CAG 4/11/12
Scooter Pie -Caique 8/12
Skittles - caique 4/13
Ringo - caique 2009
Chica - caique 2006
Rascal - RBC 2001
no... she was awake... The injection of the chip can cause soreness in her chest for a few days.... she was eating fantastic before the vet visit... I suspect that because she was hurting she didn't feel like eating.... she then started the baby cry and the feeding headbob...

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
If she was awake then it must have been a traumatic time. That could have some effect on her behavior. My vet has never chipped one of my birds like that, never heard of that before. Was this an AV ?

DebsFlock

Banned
Banned
Jul 19, 2012
Los Angeles County, near Palmdale
Parrots
Scooter -- male Green Cheek Conure "Normal" but that's a matter of opinion! Hatched in March 2010

Scotty -- Male Cape Parrot hatched somewhere between 2007-2009 we think

Caballo Blanco -- male C
I think some vets are more reluctant to use anesthesia than others for things like chipping that are over quickly and only moderately painful, but I don't have direct experience.

Were you given any pain meds? It's possible a hit of Metacam would take the edge off. It worked wonders with Scotty when he knocked the tip of his beak off. As soon as the expectation of pain was circumvented, he started eating well again. YMMV.

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
The ones i had chipped were done when they were under for lapriscopic exams. Maybe that's why. I didn't think of that.

OP
S

Sassy

Jun 4, 2012
Bethlehem PA
Parrots
Neytiri -CAG 4/11/12
Scooter Pie -Caique 8/12
Skittles - caique 4/13
Ringo - caique 2009
Chica - caique 2006
Rascal - RBC 2001
I think some vets are more reluctant to use anesthesia than others for things like chipping that are over quickly and only moderately painful, but I don't have direct experience.

Were you given any pain meds? It's possible a hit of Metacam would take the edge off. It worked wonders with Scotty when he knocked the tip of his beak off. As soon as the expectation of pain was circumvented, he started eating well again. YMMV.

Pain is gone now. Just have to get her eating well again. She ate well today so have to see how the next few days go.

Most Reactions

Latest posts