Rehoming my eclectus- NJ

Jun 16, 2018
New Jersey
Parrots
Eclectus- "Junior" & Parrotlet- "Kittles"
Hi all,

Iā€™m very upset having to do this, but weā€™ve exhausted all alternatives. My family dynamic has changed; a few years ago I met a great guy who happens to have a daughter. She has sensory issues and becomes extremely upset when Junior contact calls. We all live together now, so there has been much tension ever since. Junior is a parrot that wants to be with me all day, all the time. I keep him occupied by providing foraging options and he lives on a tree stand in my house, so he is free to move about as he pleases. He is good with other animals and enjoys hanging out with my two children. In summer we bring him to the bay beach (he does not fly) and he hangs out with all of us. Iā€™m hoping to find someone that has plenty of time to devote to him, and I feel he would also prefer the company of another parrot. He has been tested by the vet and is free of any avian diseases. He also says a few words (when he feels like it!) and laughs along with you. Asking a small adoption fee to ensure you are serious. Please reach out if you feel as though your household would be a good fit.

Attachments

• IMG_8135.png
    IMG_8135.png
    570.5 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_8133.jpeg
    IMG_8133.jpeg
    341 KB · Views: 38

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
I'm so sorry you're in the position of having to rehome Junior. He's gorgeous BTW! I adore ekkies, they're so unlike anything else. I wish I was in a position to be able to help, but sadly the best I can offer is hopes and prayers that you can find him the perfect forever home. šŸ™

Coincidentally, my ekkie boy came to me by way of our local refuge, where he was surrendered because his previous owner's PTSD was triggered by his daily screaming. Poor guy was to the point of seriously harming either Tucker or himself. Thank goodness he surrendered him before the worst happened.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Hi all,

Iā€™m very upset having to do this, but weā€™ve exhausted all alternatives. My family dynamic has changed; a few years ago I met a great guy who happens to have a daughter. She has sensory issues and becomes extremely upset when Junior contact calls. We all live together now, so there has been much tension ever since. Junior is a parrot that wants to be with me all day, all the time. I keep him occupied by providing foraging options and he lives on a tree stand in my house, so he is free to move about as he pleases. He is good with other animals and enjoys hanging out with my two children. In summer we bring him to the bay beach (he does not fly) and he hangs out with all of us. Iā€™m hoping to find someone that has plenty of time to devote to him, and I feel he would also prefer the company of another parrot. He has been tested by the vet and is free of any avian diseases. He also says a few words (when he feels like it!) and laughs along with you. Asking a small adoption fee to ensure you are serious. Please reach out if you feel as though your household would be a good fit.
I'm so sorry that you have to rehome Junior, that's such a painful decision to have to make. My heart goes out to you.
I have a friend in NJ, I'm going to see if he knows anyone who is looking for an Eclectus.
Sending warm hugs to you, and hopes that Junior finds a wonderful new home.

OP
Ekkyparrotlet125
Jun 16, 2018
New Jersey
Parrots
Eclectus- "Junior" & Parrotlet- "Kittles"
I'm so sorry that you have to rehome Junior, that's such a painful decision to have to make. My heart goes out to you.
I have a friend in NJ, I'm going to see if he knows anyone who is looking for an Eclectus.
Sending warm hugs to you, and hopes that Junior finds a wonderful new home.
Thank you so much

azflcowboy

Oct 20, 2022
Parrots
Solomon Island Eclectus (Male)
I'm so sorry you're in the position of having to rehome Junior. He's gorgeous BTW! I adore ekkies, they're so unlike anything else. I wish I was in a position to be able to help, but sadly the best I can offer is hopes and prayers that you can find him the perfect forever home. šŸ™

Coincidentally, my ekkie boy came to me by way of our local refuge, where he was surrendered because his previous owner's PTSD was triggered by his daily screaming. Poor guy was to the point of seriously harming either Tucker or himself. Thank goodness he surrendered him before the worst happened.
Hello So sorry about the rehoming.
Sorry to hear that a person who has PTSD does not want an ecky, my Moses is my Service Animal from the Doctors at the VA, because of my PTSD from Vietnam and he calms me as soon as I awake in the morning and I hear him call "Daddy, I Love You" we watch TV at night together and he laughs when I laugh at the comedy shows:) God Bless God's Creations:)

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
I too am sorry that you need to rehome your Ekkie for those reasons. And I am actually kind of happy that you are not one of those "Love me, Love my *****" people. If your building a long term relationship with this great guy, comproimise is often the heart of that. Have you tried working with the child and Junior together? Parrots can be so perceptive when it comes to people with mental issues, sometimes.

For suggestions on suitable new homes, you might try asking your Avian Vet if they know of someone. I would try to stay away from Craigslist, which is a morasse of flippers and outright thieves.

Most Reactions