Rescueing Penny

lac575

Aug 16, 2018
Talent, OR
Parrots
1 Senegal parrot (Poicephalus senegalus)
How pitiful her living conditions were! poor bird. Lucky bird now. You were in the right place at the right time. How serendipitous that you already owned a quaker as well! Thank you on behalf of Penny. I am sure she is thankful every day.

OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Miss Penny (still needs DNA test) received her new cage Friday night. Yippie!! But alas I didn't think how all this brand new stuff would terrify her!!! All of Saturday she was frozen in one corner, if I came near her screaming! She started pulling those featheres out again. :( :( I SHOULD have let her see the new cage and visit the new cage first!!!! I just wasn't thinking beyond the yippie new bigger cage.. Today I think will be better she is already moving around trying out the new perches. She took a nice bath, no screaming. But already this morning she took a chunk of her featheres in a foot and started pulling.... Stupid human that I am I will try and remember big changes should be done slowly!!

ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
NL= the Netherlands, Europe
Parrots
Sunny a female B&G macaw;
Japie (m) & Appie (f), both are congo african grey;
All are rescues- had to leave their previous homes for 'reasons', are still in contact with them :)
we all make mistakes,

just remember what a resilient bird she is,
and you guys were so meant to be together
she will bounce back and be fine.

OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
She's been in a mood, since this new cage. But she is starting to explore, abd make happy sounds. The set back in the feather picking has me stressed...

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
We’re all just doing the best we can. Your best is so far and above what she’s used to, she will forgive your “transgressions” in time I’m sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Penny is really doing great! Begs fir kisses and pets. Talking and mimicking, likes to bark with the dogs and do a sneaky door noise. Havnt gotten her to play yet. Like the coined phrase used by someone else a perch or shoulder potato! Feathet picks still off and on no worse no better. But I don't think if her as a rescue anymore, now she is just family!

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
Something to keep in-mind for the future is that Quaker Parrots are probably the most territorial of all parrots when it comes to their "space" and their "belongings" that are located within their space. So it doesn't surprise me once bit that putting her into a new cage caused her some stress. She'll get over it and be fine, and as you said she's already adjusting to it, but just as an FYI, even just changing out a Quaker's toys, food/water dishes, perches, swings, etc. can really send them into a tantrum, followed by an extended bad-mood.

Lita, my blue Quaker who I got as a 12 week-old hand-raised baby, still to this day has a serious issue with me swapping-out toys or anything else inside of her cage. She doesn't so much mind the addition of a new toy (my Cockatiel is the one that this bothers, she's scared to death of any new things in her cage for a good month, you'd think the new toys were trying to murder her), but it's the removal of her old, ratty toys that are falling apart that she can't handle. She also throws a temper-tantrum whenever one of the other birds even lands on the top of her cage for just a second, and then she'll be visibly and vocally moody and just pissed-off about it for a good couple of hours afterwards. God forbid that Bowie, my Green Cheek who Lita is very closely-bonded to, is brave enough to actually step inside of her cage, because he may not make it back out again. They are extremely close birds and they can hang-out on or inside of Bowie's cage all the time, but the second that Bowie tries to set-foot inside of Lita's cage the screaming, squawking, angry talking/gibberish starts, and she'll start pulling the feathers out of his face and head until he exits the premises. So i have to be very careful to shut and latch all doors to Lita's cage when I let them out so that he can't get inside, otherwise it will not be pretty. She's such a hypocrite, she'll go over and crawl inside of Bowie's cage and start eating his pellets, seed-mix, veggies, etc., and she'll sit and chew on his new toys that he just got for hours (leaving her new toys untouched of course), but the second Bowie even lands on top of her cage she swoops down like a raptor on top of him...

Any time i buy her new toys or anything else that is going inside of her cage, I make sure to set it on top of her cage for a few days first, and usually she'll scream at it for a while, then she'll eventually go and sit next to it, and then eventually she'll stop screaming at it and talking to it and she'll start chewing on it. Once she starts "beaking" it then I'll put it inside of her cage, and she's usually fine with it; However, removing the old toy is a whole other story. It could be a wooden toy that has nothing left to it but a toothpick and she'll actually go after my hand while I'm taking it out. So I wait until I know she's good with the new toy, and then I take out the old junky toy and lay it on top of her cage, and I put the new toy that she's become accustom to in the spot that the old toy was in...And I usually give her a few days with the old toy sitting on top of the cage before I pitch it, which I usually do while she's out of the room and doesn't see me doing. That usually works really well. But she is a stubborn bird that is set in her ways, and her stuff is her stuff and you better not touch it! Doesn't matter that I bought it for her, lol...She'll occasionally even nip at my hands while I'm taking her food and water dishes out to feed her and change her water, the little ungrateful jerk! She'll go after my hands while I'm taking out her food dish and then again when I'm putting the new food in, and then she goes right to town eating away...But that's a Quaker!

OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Penny's leg band says 69 do you think she could really be hatched in 69?????????? Also Neptune slided up to her and laid his head in her shoulder! I think Neptune is in puberty at five months???? He is flirting and head bobbing and trying to regurge to All his girls! It seems like he is trying out his rooster strut with Ta-dah, Penny (a girl I hope) and me! He definitely thinks he's hot stuff, and none of us girls disagree ;) ;) ;) he twirls and flashes and struts, and wants kisses from all of us, but he doesn't want me to kiss Ta-dah or Penny, he steps between us narrowing his eyes at them then kisses me..

Last edited:
OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Penny the pooper! Penny has been pooping mad at me, not sure why lol. She is making trips to the food bowl to poop in it, pooping in her wster. And my favorite shooting poops at me through the cage bars! Oh the joys of sharing our lives with smart creatures. It's to bad I'm not smart enough to figure out was her do pooping mad! The old gal keeps me on my toes. Her leg band says GA9 then space 69 I don't imagine she can be 49! I wish these leg bands ment something, or they could be looked up. Im on the FL GA line and even though they are banned in GA you can have a breeder license.

Jen5200

Mar 27, 2017
Media
Albums
Washington State
Parrots
Baby - Sun Conure;
Tango - GCC;
Bindi - Sun Conure;
Stanley - Pineapple GCC;
Screamer “Scree� - Cockatiel;
Tee - Pineapple GCC; Jimmy - Cockatiel
I feel your pain on the pooping....I have a sun conure that can poop through her cage bars, past the seed huge seed guard and hit the floor?! Bindi doesn’t do it because she’s mad though....wonder what Penny thinks you did to warrant this treatment lol?? I’m kind of thankful that none of my birds have bands....I hate mysteries that are difficult to solve :)

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
I have come across one quaker that died and it was thought the quaker was possibly around 50 years old due to the leg band... but that number could as well just be her personal ID.

OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Thank you Monicamc, these leg bands should have an online data base, and have some cohesion across species and state lines. . Abd Jen I moved a perch I guess I didn't have the owners permit...she doesn't handle change, as Ellen D pointed out very territorial...

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Unfortunately, it's all up to the breeder what is put on the band. My conure has a "94" on his, which is sideways. When looking at the band, the numbers are 'stacked' so to speak. Other leg bands the year of birth is the same way as the ID... or might even be a part of the ID itself.

OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Mrs. Penny has learned new words! I say come hear (as one word) when calling my parrots to me. But now both Penny and Neptune yell it when they want me to come to them! She had also started saying be a good girl ( I say that when sheooks like she might bite) a d What a good boy lol as she hears me saying that to Neptune a lot. She cracks me up with her dog barks microwave beeps and squeaky door noises! And she has a sense of humor as when the house is quiet she gives a meow!

Jen5200

Mar 27, 2017
Media
Albums
Washington State
Parrots
Baby - Sun Conure;
Tango - GCC;
Bindi - Sun Conure;
Stanley - Pineapple GCC;
Screamer “Scree� - Cockatiel;
Tee - Pineapple GCC; Jimmy - Cockatiel
So wonderful that she’s settling in so well. I sometimes wish that my birds would imitate interesting sounds.... alas, my household is limited to the sweet screeches and quacks of sun conures lol.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
So cute that Neptune is learning things from Penny, but preferably not the rude words ;)
And such a lovely rescue story too, Penny has come such a long way in a short time because of your devotion, ❤️ your work!

OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
So wonderful that she’s settling in so well. I sometimes wish that my birds would imitate interesting sounds.... alas, my household is limited to the sweet screeches and quacks of sun conures lol.

Jen my house is loud all the time! I don't wish that on you, no way! They try and out talk each other or screech. I love em and the talking is fun, but I think the quakers are such great talkers because they are so vocal. :) They only stop when they have a bath or a supper yummy treat.lol done days 8 hours of vocal talking or sounds is too much lol.

OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Well little ol Penny embarrassed me, or maybe it's my fault! I was feeding her some home made lentil soup, abd various veggies, of which half was flinged on me , some eaten some flung around elsewhere. When a nocking on the door came. I answered to help a neighbor, only when I came back inside I realized I had food all over my shirt!! Like a total slob of the most disgusting kind.,..my face is so red. .I think I'm going to call my neighbor and explain I have Parrots!!! And I was feeding soup.. it was so bad I don't want her thinking ..... whatever a person would think .. ugh lol it was bad!

TiredOldMan

Apr 24, 2018
Media
South Central Texas
Parrots
CAG Hen-Gracie age unknown, U2 Rooster-Anakin 13YO
Alright Laura!

If it makes sense to you everyone else can go to HE double toothpicks!

I don't apologize for the occasional poop on my shirts(doesn't happen often but) I could care less what anyone thinks. I don't care about the vegetable waste that regularly inhabits my arms, shirts, beard, mustache, and what head hair I have left.
The dogs will clean me up:D

And as far as loud. Anakin will go APE if there is someone besides the family in the house and he can't get to them. I refuse to apologize...it's Anakins house to.

Most Reactions

Latest posts