Retaming a Conure and Cockatiel

HeatherDesigns

Jun 21, 2014
Omaha, NE
Parrots
2 Lineolated Parakeets Amy and Rory (yes, they live in a blue cage), 1 Sun Conure Sunny, 1 Cockatiel Chucky
My FIL has a Sun Conure and a Cockatiel that he is neglecting so my SIL has talked him into giving them up. No one else wants them so my DH voluntold me for taking them in. I donā€™t really want them either but I know giving them away to a non-family member would really hurt my FIL so I am going to do my best for these birds.

I do have two lineolated parakeets so Iā€™m not a total novice to bird keeping but I donā€™t know the specifics of conures and cockatiels so I was hoping you all could help me out.

The birds are maybe 10 yrs old, I donā€™t know for sure. The conure has been dna sexed as female, the tiel has not been sexed as far as I know. The conure has a flight cage, I donā€™t know what sort of cage the tiel has. Neither bird has been to the vet in years if ever. The conure used to only want my FIL to handle her, but sheā€™s been so neglected that my SIL says sheā€™ll go to anyone now.

I will be taking them in to the vet as soon as possible after I bring them home because I have no idea what their physical condition is. I will be keeping the cages in my living room where my linnies live and I am currently clearing off an area of my desk in my office so I can put the play tree I have on my desk and give them some time with me during the day while I work. My office is unfortunately to small for me to have the bird cages in there with me and I donā€™t have a laptop so I canā€™t do my work in the living room.

I currently feed my linnies Roudybush crumbles, Goldenseal Tropical Treat, a linnie seed mix from Herman Bros, and a frozen veggie mix from the grocery store (I thaw it first of course). They also get a little bit of eggs and pasta when I make it for myself.

Iā€™m planning on feeding the conure and tiel the same brands but mixes and sizes appropriate for their size/breed.

I have no idea what sort of toys they have now but Iā€™m figuring I will need to buy more soon, since my FIL has neglected their feeding and cleaning Iā€™m sure he hasnā€™t given them enough to do either.

Am I forgetting anything? Is there anything wrong with my plans?

Are the conure and tiel alike enough in size that I could have them on the play tree at the same time or is that a bad idea? How about the Linnies, can all four play together? Iā€™ve only ever had one type of bird at a time so I donā€™t know how ok it is to mix species. I know the two new ones will need a quarantine period but after that mix? don't mix?

Also, I've been told they may have dominance struggles and to let them hash it out amongst themselves but break up fights. How do I tell the difference? Or was the letting them hash things out bad advice?

GW.Joe

Nov 26, 2013
Southeastern PA (15 miles west of Philly in a smal
Parrots
HI Fellow Parrot Lovers! Baby Green Wing Macaw, Loving Departed Yellow-naped Amazon "Poe"
I do have two lineolated parakeets

Hello again Heather,

One thought is quarantine, unfortunately not knowing for sure if the birds are healthy there is always a risk to the other birds in your house

Aside from keeping the new birds completely isolated from your current birds you also have to make sure you and anything else that comes in contact with the new birds is cleaned before coming in contact with your current birds

Some people shrug this procedure off, but keep in mind the new birds can look totally healthy and still be sick OR be a carrier of a deadly disease

Thank you for saving them!!

Joe

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012

Also, I've been told they may have dominance struggles and to let them hash it out amongst themselves but break up fights. How do I tell the difference? Or was the letting them hash things out bad advice?

NO! A sun conure can inflict SEVERE injuries to a cockatiel in no time flat. It can happen in the blink of an eye. AND vice versa, depending on the size of the tiel. They either get along or they don't.

And please don't put your Linnies at risk, they are considerably smaller than the other 2 species.

It may very well be possible that the Sun and tiel can share the same play tree - only you will be the judge of that, but be sure to be ready and intervene QUICKLY if things go south. :) Watch their body language VERY closely.

OP
H

HeatherDesigns

Jun 21, 2014
Omaha, NE
Parrots
2 Lineolated Parakeets Amy and Rory (yes, they live in a blue cage), 1 Sun Conure Sunny, 1 Cockatiel Chucky
Thanks, the letting them hash things out advice didn't sound right to me but I figured I would check with people who knew more than I did.

I'll be using the same quarantine procedures for the birds as I did when I ran a reptile rescue. No contact for 3 months. No shared food dishes or toys. I'll be changing clothes and scrubbing up before I handle the linnies after handling the conure and cockatiel, etc... Lizards are pretty bad about hiding diseases long term so I figure if my procedure worked for them it should work for birds :)

What sort of body language should I look for? My linnies are pretty chill birds and don't really show anything in the way of aggression so I'm not sure if I'll recognize it when I see it.

OP
H

HeatherDesigns

Jun 21, 2014
Omaha, NE
Parrots
Bad News -

My FIL refused to give up the birds. My SIL and DH talked to him about changes he needs to make in his life style so I may still end up with the birds if he doesn't start taking care of them but for right now I am back in NE and they are in WI.

I got used to the idea of having them that I'm fairly disappointed now. I may see if I can find a small parrot at a rescue here that needs a new home.

GW.Joe

Nov 26, 2013
Southeastern PA (15 miles west of Philly in a smal
Parrots
HI Fellow Parrot Lovers! Baby Green Wing Macaw, Loving Departed Yellow-naped Amazon "Poe"
Bad News -

My FIL refused to give up the birds. My SIL and DH talked to him about changes he needs to make in his life style so I may still end up with the birds if he doesn't start taking care of them but for right now I am back in NE and they are in WI.

I got used to the idea of having them that I'm fairly disappointed now. I may see if I can find a small parrot at a rescue here that needs a new home.

I know that feeling (thinking you are getting something and then oh well...) VERY Sorry

There you go, that's looking UP Get Yourself a Fid ASAP :)
You know we will all be standing by waiting (and tapping toes) to see pics of whatever you bring home!!

*HUGS*

Most Reactions