Media
St.Leonard, MD
Parrots
Red Front Macaw, Elvis, 10,male RIP

Red Front Macaw, Erin, 1.5,female

Goffin Cockatoo, Blossom 2,female Rehomed

Blue & Gold Macaw, Oscar, Male, 21 years old, Rehomed

American Bulldog Mix,
Okay, so my hubby and I are taking Erin up to Bird Paradise this weekend for family visits and to get some new food for her. Her sister (the parrot she was highly bonded with) will most likely be there still as she was more unhandable than Erin. She nipped and flew at every opportunity. They've been apart since April now and Erin has come such a long way. I'm 99% sure they will allow us to take her sister into a separate room to see Erin again, but my husband is leery. He is scared she will go back to her old ways again. She has come a great distance since then, but isn't 100% pet material due to her mood swings and her generating dominance towards select strangers. I'd love for her to see her sister again and get to play. She hasn't seen another bird since she left and they are siblings and were bonded. What are your opinions? Is it too risky or should be taking like any old family reunion? They're sisters after all and probably will remember each other.

OP
MaraWentz

MaraWentz

Banned
Banned
Mar 27, 2012
Media
St.Leonard, MD
Parrots

American Bulldog Mix,
LoL I wish! That'd be nice but my landlord would kill me

Alisana

May 31, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Yuki - Snow white budgie; Luna - Blue budgie; Pocket - Hahn's Macaw
I'd be careful of quarantine as well. Make sure the sister doesn't have any diseases or anything like that - the last thing you would want is to come home with a sick bird.

Otherwise, good luck :)

greycloud

Mar 21, 2010
Baltimore, MD
Parrots
Sammy-Umbrella Too-rescued,
Dexter-CAG-rehomed handicapped,
Sterling-CAG-rehomed retired breeder.
Sunshine-12 yo CAG-adopted
I have to agree that you need to be careful. I know the owners of Bird Paradise. Very nice people. But so many people bring their birds in there and no ones knows if they have any diseases or illnesses. I would even be surprised if Kathy allowed you to have the two interact for the same precautions.

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
I would vote against it, what's to be gained? Sure they will remember each other but old habits have way of showing back up.

JJones1719

Mar 9, 2011
Media
MD
Parrots
7 Year old SI Eclectus named Guapo, I have a 6 year old GW Macaw named Neleno
I would advise you not to take her.
I went to Bird Paradise a few months ago to purchase supplies for both my boys. I also wanted to check out the baby macaws they have.
I was a little shocked I must say.
When I handled most of the Macaws, most were very nippy and not used to people at all. This tells me one thing, these birds are not getting the 1x1 attn they need and not social towards people and this is very surprising to me since there are many customers in the store.
baby Macaws are and should be complete cuddle bugs, most of the Macaws I handled like the B&G, GW, some smaller parrots like the african greys and eclectus were not use to people, the only Macaw open to being held and cuddled was the one HY macaw but this does not surprise me as most HY macaws are complete cuddle bugs anyway.

I would strongly advise you to find a bird club in your area. most bird clubs have meetings and all members bring their healthy birds to the meetings, we all pass our birds around to keep our birds social and you will learn a lot from the club members or guest speakers on bird care or bird behavior issues. Best of luck to you. Thanks Joe

OP
MaraWentz

MaraWentz

Banned
Banned
Mar 27, 2012
Media
St.Leonard, MD
Parrots

American Bulldog Mix,
They both came from Bird Paradise with the same vaccinations so illness is no factor, especially since no one could handle her and her sister. I agree it was very disturbing to see them all so nippy. However, I got one of the Greenwings to step up and be friendly. They're all turning 2 this summer and it's sad.

Anyway, so I managed to catch her sister and bring them to a separate room. Along the way her sister near about ate me alive, but Erin did the same when I got her. We put them both on top of a cage and immediately they fed each other and preened each other. Even when I entered the bird room they just started screaming back and forth.

It was interesting as the roles switched. Erin when we got her would hide behind her sister and they'd both run. This time her sister hid behind her. When her sister bit me Erin would just look away, literally. She didn't run or lunge at me or her sister, but ignored it. She did her tricks next to her sister for treats and she walked up to every one who came by. She saw Christie and recognized her and waddled right up to her and christie was very shocked she was so friendly.

It's amazing, the difference. Erin has come along way, as will her sister one day. She listened to my every command and had no problem leaving. Her sister- not so much. She was trying to bite off my fingers. But I had a grand idea. This August I'm trying to move to PA , 20 minutes from Bird Paradise, to just start over and get out there. Plus rent is a lot cheaper there :). So I'm wondering if I could volunteer with those poor birds and train them. I know when I was a child they used to have volunteers. Those poor birds need more attention and to be handable, or they will end up as breeders.

If I can work with and tame Erin's sister when I move I will buy her in a year or two, but I'd like her to be tame first. Wish me luck!

OP
MaraWentz

MaraWentz

Banned
Banned
Mar 27, 2012
Media
St.Leonard, MD
Parrots

American Bulldog Mix,
Oh and I looked at a bird club around my area but its not my cup of tea. Its 2 hours away and they dont meet alot and its just not peaking my interest. I found two avian owners around me before my big falling out with the hubby, but when i moved it put an hour between us. If I move to PA, I will be near my mommom who has 5 other parrots now, so it should all be good.

greycloud

Mar 21, 2010
Baltimore, MD
Parrots
Sammy-Umbrella Too-rescued,
Dexter-CAG-rehomed handicapped,
Sterling-CAG-rehomed retired breeder.
Sunshine-12 yo CAG-adopted
Well, I am glad things went well. But let me assure you that your bird was not protected from every avian disease that the other bird may have been exposed to. I hope your bird stays healthy. JMHO.

OP
MaraWentz

MaraWentz

Banned
Banned
Mar 27, 2012
Media
St.Leonard, MD
Parrots

American Bulldog Mix,
I'm sure she is healthy. There's the risk of disease when she picks at the grass in our yard that bugs and animals are pooped and peed on. I say that bird is safer than our backyard. She is unhandable to humans and not the socailest of animals by any means. Thanks for your concern though. If she gets sick (highly unlikely) I will know why.

Most Reactions

Latest posts