• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 309

phyllis

Mar 6, 2011
USA
Parrots
IRN, Cockatiel
The male IRN will have a ring around the neck for a male. The females will not have a ring.
How old is your IRN. A young male will not get a ring until he is older. You may have
to wait to see, or you can ask an avian do a test to get the sex.

OP
R

Rizwan

Jan 29, 2015
Pakistan
Parrots
Alexandrine
First of all thanks for reply. This parrot is almost 8 months old

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Hello and welcome to the forum! Pretty bird you have there!

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
Hi I want to know that my parrot is male or female please reply

Hello, welcome to the forums, but as Phyllis said, you're going to have to wait until the bird's moult, when it is 18-24 months old as that is when a male's ring appears.....

Of course you can always have your bird DNA tested.....here's a list of several reputable DNA laboratories:

DNA Paternity Test- Digital Fingerprinting - Canadian Pardon and USA Waivers Applications

Avian Services Center: DNA sexing and disease testing for all species of birds.

Avian DNA Testing l Bird DNA Test - HealthGene

Avian DNA Testing Services | Bird DNA Test

http://www.zoogendna.com

Avian DNA Testing Lab, Bird Sexing, | Pet DNA Services AZ

Avian DNA Sexing (Feather) | Animal Genetics UK

Good luck.....

Last edited:

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
Hi Rizwan and welcome to our forum! Your bird is lovely and very healthy-looking for a young Alexandrine. Sadly, the only way to tell his sex is to wait until his ring arrives (or doesn't). That may take another two or even three years to happen! My male Alexandrine was into his fourth year before his ring finally appeared and I had begun to think he was really a female. Then, the few little black feathers appeared and within a month he had a splendid black ring.

As other members have suggested, you can have a DNA test done, but I don't know whether such a test is available in your part of the world. Do you have a vet nearby? That would be the best place to ask. :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts