Robin Eggs.

Birdlover1

May 10, 2013
MaryLand
Parrots
Echo a male B&G Macaw
Not sure if this was the right place to put this...Sorry if I got it wrong.

Well a robin had to be dumb and build a nest on my Dads trailer!I was able to leave the eggs with their mother for about a week but my Dad needs hie trailer now so I am attempting to incubate them.Ive raised many wild baby birds before so once they hatch it'll be good,but until then they might die.

I thought this would be a good place to right about it and do daily posts about how they are doing for anyone who might be in a similar situation or who just wants to see the outcome.

Day 1:I currently have all 3 eggs in a incubator with the temp at 99.5 Fahrenheit.They will get rotated 3 times a day of all goes well.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
They should be turned more then 3 times per day! Its a hard process and time consuming so I hope you will have the time to do it especially when they first hatch. I fed hand feeding formula, mulberry, insects, and worms.

OP
Birdlover1

Birdlover1

May 10, 2013
MaryLand
Parrots
Echo a male B&G Macaw
They should be turned more then 3 times per day! Its a hard process and time consuming so I hope you will have the time to do it especially when they first hatch. I fed hand feeding formula, mulberry, insects, and worms.

Thanks I wasn't quit sure about the turning :)

I normally feed a formula I made out of soaked dog food,cuttle bone, and soaked bird pellets.Then I also feed insects and worms as much as possible.

MarciaLove

Jan 4, 2012
USA Georgia
Parrots
Sugar the Blue Crown Conure♂, Merlin the Camelot Macaw♂
also make sure you are monitoring humidity you can get a humidity gauge cheap at a petstore in the reptile section good luck!

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots

I normally feed a formula I made out of soaked dog food,cuttle bone, and soaked bird pellets.Then I also feed insects and worms as much as possible.

I've read mixed messages on soaked dog food so I didn't feed it....The hand feeding formula have the calcium part covered and some other stuffs so cuttle bone wasn't necessary. But what I feed mainly is like you, as much insects and worms as possible. My baby Robin used to go crazy over worms. Especially once he learned to fly, he loves sitting with you in the rocking chair while your rocking away. Never flies off or poop on you, he just sits on your shoulder quietly and sometimes he'll fall asleep. That's been many years ago....I just don't have that kind of luxury to do it these days as I've got too many stuffs going on and all the animals to care for.

OP
Birdlover1

Birdlover1

May 10, 2013
MaryLand
Parrots
Echo a male B&G Macaw

I've read mixed messages on soaked dog food so I didn't feed it....The hand feeding formula have the calcium part covered and some other stuffs so cuttle bone wasn't necessary. But what I feed mainly is like you, as much insects and worms as possible. My baby Robin used to go crazy over worms. Especially once he learned to fly, he loves sitting with you in the rocking chair while your rocking away. Never flies off or poop on you, he just sits on your shoulder quietly and sometimes he'll fall asleep. That's been many years ago....I just don't have that kind of luxury to do it these days as I've got too many stuffs going on and all the animals to care for.

Well Im still going to feed the soaked dog food as I used to to raise a robin before with no problem.I think it mainly depends on what dog food you use?

Lintini

May 5, 2012
Bay Area California
Parrots
Margret-Mealy Amazon 28 (family parrot), Petri- Peach Front Conure 4, Chloe- Congo African Grey 24 and Rio- Blue Crown Conure 4 !! :D
I raised a crow and was advised to feed it soaked cat food since it has more protein in it. I don't know if it is as important for a robin though. Also I bought lots of wax worms and dried meal worms. My coworkers were really shocked at me hand feeding a baby crow in the back room at starbucks LOL. I now have the name Dr. Doolittle.

OP
Birdlover1

Birdlover1

May 10, 2013
MaryLand
Parrots
Echo a male B&G Macaw
Found out 2 of the eggs where infertile :(

The other egg hatched today :D Im so excited yet mad at the same time since I'll have to be waking up early to feed it lol.

aliray

Jan 28, 2012
Rotonda West , Fla
Parrots
yellow sided green cheek conure,Chiquita Quaker parrot Sweetie Pie, African red bellied parrot Tiki, spanish timbrado canary Lucas
Well congratulations on your new baby robin. I will be watching the posts to see how you and the baby are making out. Just remember the baby will be imprinted on you and you are now a mommy robin:)

OP
Birdlover1

Birdlover1

May 10, 2013
MaryLand
Parrots
Echo a male B&G Macaw
Thanks :D He's/She's doing good at eating and is enjoy tiny pieces of Earthworm every 20 minutes!Sorry the picture isn't the best I didn't want to stress him/her.

Attachments

• AMBA0017.jpg
    AMBA0017.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 144

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
OH MY GOSH!!! That baby is just TOO cute!!! You are doing an OUTSTANDING job!!!! Keep it up, and you may end up with a friend for life, lol. :D

You didn't feed him during the night, did you? Are you digging up the worms, or did you go to an angler shop and buy some?

When I rehab local song birds, I feed from dusk to dawn, every 30 minutes to 1 hour. A LOT OF WORK! But SO worth it! :)

OP
Birdlover1

Birdlover1

May 10, 2013
MaryLand
Parrots
Echo a male B&G Macaw
Thanks and I hope so! :)

Just from dawn to dusk like a mommy bird!

I feed him/her worms I find outside.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
IF you keep a foam cup with dirt and put worms in there you could keep them in the fridge. The best time to search for worms is at night with a flash light but you have to be quick cause once you flash them they will run pretty quick back into their holes.

Very adorable baby!!! Brings back memories feeding a baby Robin....

OP
Birdlover1

Birdlover1

May 10, 2013
MaryLand
Parrots
Echo a male B&G Macaw
Thanks for all the advice guys but he/she passed away last night.I found him when I woke up to feed him :(

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
I'm sorry to hear...did you feed some yogurt at the beginning?

aliray

Jan 28, 2012
Rotonda West , Fla
Parrots
yellow sided green cheek conure,Chiquita Quaker parrot Sweetie Pie, African red bellied parrot Tiki, spanish timbrado canary Lucas
I am sorry to hear that but at least you tried your best:(:)

Most Reactions

Latest posts