Robins' Migrating South in a Size-able Group!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
It is common in the Spring to have Robins' migrating North in groups of size just behind the snow melt line. This is the first year that I have seen them migrating in numbers headed South. Today, we have 30 - 40 Robins around our home, busy between trees and the ground looking for bugs and worms and just chasing each other and other like size birds. Friends to the East and West of us are seeing like numbers around their homes.

Earlier this week, a bit over 250 - 300 miles and further North of us, had gotten 6 - 12 inches of snow and that has likely shifted the Robins South into our area. Regardless, it is enjoyable watching the volume of Robins around us.

Last edited:

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
Oh how fun!! I grew up with a lot of Robins around and don't see many where I live now. I always enjoy their song!

Niner10Tango

Nov 10, 2012
Media
SE Michigan
Parrots
Tango a White Faced Pied Cockatiel
It is common in the Spring to have Robins' migrating North in groups of size just behind the snow melt line. This is the first year that I have seen them migrating in numbers headed South. Today, we have 30 - 40 Robins around our home, busy between trees and the ground looking for bugs and worms and just chasing each other and other like size birds. Friends to the East and West of us are seeing like numbers around their homes.

Earlier this week, a bit over 250 - 300 miles and further North of us, had gotten 6 - 12 inches of snow and that has likely shifted the Robins South into our area. Regardless, it is enjoyable watching the volume of Robins around us.
Keep your eyes peeled for migratory birds. I have seen a couple of Eastern Towhee's, evening grosbeaks and white crowned sparrows. The black eyed junco's and red breasted nuthatches have made they're way back to SE Michigan for the winter.

OP
SailBoat

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Commonly, the last Birds to migrate into our area are the Northern Ravens in late December /early January. They tend to vary where depending on the severity of the Winter further North.

The BlueJays are happy that the Robins have moved-on as they are back surveying they're Realm as they fill the day with their chatter.

Niner10Tango

Nov 10, 2012
Media
SE Michigan
Parrots
Tango a White Faced Pied Cockatiel
Blue jays are always ratting somebody out. You can always tell when they are around. We feed them corn and peanuts and they have been doing a great job on cleaning it up. They are very unique in their own special way. We have robins here that don't migrate. Probably by late December and into early January, this is the time we start looking for snow owls.. They usually hang near wetlands or nearby Lake St. Clair.

Most Reactions