Compatible with our Budgies

Spacey'sMom

Aug 24, 2022
Parrots
2 Budgies!
Hello All,

I have made a number of posts since beginning our journey with Teerie and Yvie the budgies. We are not immediately looking for another bird but I like to do my research far in advance. We considered getting more budgies but many people suggest that creating larger flocks of them can lead to them loosing interest in interacting with us and/or loosing their tameness? I understand that this heavily depends on the bird and the handling but we are interested in some other traits in our next bird(s). (Some of these things may be different with different budgies, especially hand-raised ones but ours were not. We got them as young adults)

Things we LOVE about the budgies:
-Watching them skitter around and be cantankerous.
-The chatter(within reason).
-The equally annoying yet entertaining personalities.

Reasons they fit our lifestyle:
-They are small and agile which while hopefully never necessary, will help keep them safe in a worst case scenario. (we have cats and dogs, see bottom)
-While busy and noisy, the volume is generally not too much for us.
-They are independent and schedule heavy which, while we would like more interactivity, does work to our advantage.

Things we would like to have in our next bird:
-Greater interest in interacting with us. Doesn't need to be cuddly but one that actively wants to interact with us would be wonderful.
-Small to Medium birds would be preferred, partially because they would be able to utilize many of the existing bird trees/stations but I also assume that a larger parrot species would be more likely to injure our budgies(intentional or not).
-Outdoor or harness capabilities. I spend a lot of time outdoors and would love a safe tag a long. Nothing in the small/medium size would be safe for free flight in this area in terms of predation but something that can enjoy that time either on shoulder, in a carrier, or monitored on an outdoor perch.
-Trainability is a big factor for me. That is a huge reason I was interested in parrots and why I got our budgies. We've done, step-up, touch all over, target, and minor flight training with our budgies. While we can and have been expanding that skillset. We are more or less cohabitators to the budgies. We just live in their house lol. Having something more interested in us and even willing to please would be amazing.

Daily life for our budgies:
-They let themselves out of their cage(just covered with a light weight cloth) and into our bedroom(where the cage is) and hang out on a perch next to a window while I take the dogs and go feed the horses.

-Once I get home I feed the mammals(2 dogs, 3 cats), add a small scoop of dry mix to each of their forage trays(aka scrabble boxes) then they get 3 scoops of dry mix with a veggie on top. I keep a fresh water bowl for them at one bird station and a larger bath bowl at another.(Teerie likes to bathe every couple days. Yvie will on occasion but its infrequent so I'll mist him once a week.) I usually add a bird safe tea or hay to each. The food bowl goes on a different station every day so they have to fly around to find it. I then let them out of the bedroom and they generally fly themselves down.

-They generally sit at the station by a window and shriek on and off for 30 minutes then track down the food bowl. They eat, fly around screeching for another 30 or so then settle in to nap at the station next to my desk for 3 or so hours. They don't spend all of it asleep. Generally soft chirping, chewing on one of their toys/the wood of the perch, etc.
-Around 1-2 they start waking back up, will go snack, Yvie will try to buddy up to Teerie, get screeched at and run off by her then keep coming back. Whether its just their way of playing or she actually gets annoyed with him? Not sure lol. I have to run them off my house plants and curtain rods a few times a day Especially around this time. I keep some dried seedheads of grass around so if they mess with my plants too much I can redirect them to those(They generally only mess with my Spider Plants which is just fancy grass).
-They settle in to nap, preen and chatter until about 4-5 when all the animals start waking up. My husband generally gets home between 5-5:30. He will love on them as much as they let him and they will sit on the station next to his desk and/or screech for the next hour lol. They finally get sleepy around 6-6:30 and are put to bed between 7-8:00
-They do a lot more flying around and screeching on the weekend when my husband is home. Especially if they don't get let out at the same time. While they don't demand much direct attention time out of us we plan our days around them.

Species we have looked at and considered and based on our impressions, what concerns we have:

Cockatiel:
-dusty
-night terrors

GCConure:
-nippy
-noise

SunConure:
-noise
-clingy

Quaker:
-Bonding to one person
-noise

Ringneck:
-noise
-clingy

Eclectus:
-bonding to one person
-hormonal

Of course this can all vary but the main things I haven't found info about in my research is how they interact with budgies. We don't need them to buddy up to the budgies and they would have their own separate room(cage) for bedtime but if its a situation where they cannot tolerate the budgies at all and have to be kept separate at all times it will not be something we want to risk. I'm sure this will vary depending on the bird but anyone with direct experience keeping them and maybe how hand-raised vs adult adoptions change how they respond to budgies. We would prefer to adopt through a local rescue but if a hand-raised baby will be better for all birds involved we can do that too. This is not an immediate concern and we are in the research stage.

For anyone concerned about how I manage the birds the 2 dogs and 3 cats:
Both dogs have been raised around a ton of different animals including birds of varying sizes. The horse farm has chickens which included a number of small running chicks as well as the adults.
The same is true with 2/3 cats. Both were outdoors before we got them one a barn cat, and one a dumpster cat.

The birds are never left unattended with any of our other animals. We do not encourage any interaction from bird to mammal and vice versa. The Bird stations are made specifically to be as catproof as I can make it.

2 bird stations are large trees with branches too thin for the cats to climb and either a foam or cardboard catch tray that would collapse if a cat tried to get up on it.
2 bird stations are on foam platforms atop a shelf and curio.
The last is an area above the kitchen cabinets. Each place is as secure as I can make it and as I work from home the situation is constantly monitored.
The dogs and cats spend most of the day sleeping. If on any given day they seem more interested, the cats are shut in a bedroom (which if left open they tend to sleep in anyway).

We wanted smaller, more agile birds in case they ever had need to escape, which has not happened at any point. The same way we got dogs that are big enough to keep up, agile enough to evade the horses, and small enough to scoot under a fence. We have never had the horses try to chase down our dogs but its better to plan for it and never need to. That in mind, any bird species we get we will want them to share those traits. The budgies and our mammals all live happier, more enriched lives by being able to come out and interact with us and move around the house. The risk has been calculated for and mitigated as much as possible.

I understand if there are concerns and I can answer any questions but please know its not up for debate and I do not do so lightly. I don't mean to be defensive but I'm not someone thinking its funny to watch a bird pick a fight with a cat. We may keep them and have them out at the same time, but that doesn't mean we do so carelessly. Sorry I'll hop of the soapbox now!

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
I"m...going to post this. And I hope you click on the rest for some other "color" and I don't care if you leave a like or anything this is for your information. I have a sun, a quaker, a GCC and now......10 budgies..... theres like thirty videos to go over.....

I have three cages in my den (man cave) and all the birds come out in the morning and have free access and at night go to bed when I leave some lights on but turn out the main light.

Every bird has a temperment, I just happen to be lucky i guess.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
If you watch like the bath videos and etc the birds don't attack eachother but they will fly into thier space without any care...so it's a balance, mostly the bigger birds tend to ignore them, but never attack them outright.

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
I can only offer my perspective on Quakers and budgies, as thatā€™s the limit of my experience. I have two budgies and one Quaker who all share the same room. Of course, they have different cages and the Quakerā€™s cage is on the top bunk of a bed so thatā€™s sort of ā€œ hisā€ space. The budgies occasionally land over there but mostly hang out in the rest of the room. I have never seen any real aggression between the two and they even seem to enjoy each otherā€™s company at times; however, the Quaker, although technically flighted, never really flies so even if he chased the budgies they would be able to fly away. As far as owning a Quaker, as someone who previously only had experience with budgies, getting a Quaker was a completely different ballgame! JJ was already 15+ years old with plenty of ingrained habits so Iā€™m sure that makes a difference, but in general I have found him to be much more loud, temperamental, and demanding than my budgies. He can also get quite aggressive with anyone but me ( and occasionally me if I donā€™t read his mood correctly!). Donā€™t get me wrong, I love the little guy, heā€™s charming, hilarious, intelligent, and loves spending time with me. But while I feel like my budgies easily fit into my life, getting a Quaker required me to change my life to fit with him. Obviously every bird and owner will be different and I definitely have a soft spot for Quakers since getting JJ but for myself, I did find the transition from budgie to Quaker to be a challenge. It sounds like your budgies have a great life and that any other bird you decide to get will be quite lucky to join your household! šŸ™‚

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
I'm not advocating for anything...My simple opinion is Quakers live in large colonys and like social interaction. I think most 80gram or 100 gram birds (GCCs and suns and Quakers) just see budgies as friends because they can kind of push em a bit and no need to fight.

BUT DONT GET A BIRD FOR YOUR BIRD... make sure you get the bird because you want that one to be your shoulder bird you hang with each night.

Greenhouseparrots

Nov 27, 2022
UK
Parrots
Crimson bellied conure- Tequila
Greencheek conure- Sierra
Pearled cockatiel- Malibu
Cockatiel- Volkan
Yellow budgies- Pina Colada and Houdini
Blue budgie- Lightning
White and blue budgie- Ciroc
Would you consider pigeons? I know they're not parrots but I've seen that they seem to have a lot of the pluses of parrots, minus some of the more undesirable parts of them. I kind of wish I knew you could have them as pets before I got my flock as it would have made life easier if I got them instead.

They're already semi-domesticated so they like to be around people and are social with people more so than parrots. They're also a lot less messy, not as loud and they don't have the same hormone issues that many parrots have.

Other than that I'd recommend cockatiels. They're very easy going birds and will get on well with budgies. If you only have one then the dust isn't so bad, and not every bird will have night frights. My male cockatiel has never had one and my female has one once or twice a year, and usually my other birds are scared too so it's usually not just her being scared at nothing.

I'd argue against conures, except maybe crimson bellied conures as they're a bit more easy going than the other conures. My gcc likes to grab my budgies tails and get into everything she's not supposed to so with cats and dogs I wouldn't take the risk. My crimson bellied conure is very calm and like to sit and just watch things happen, but she also seeks out company and needs the stimulation daily or she gets very loud. Conures are also very messy and you will have food everywhere if you go with them, and they also destroy your furniture. My wooden blinds are destroyed, as is the top of my door and my skirting boards just from the conures.

I have no experience with the other species you mentioned but I hope this helps a little bit

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
New this time conures interacting with budgies but not attacking....

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
Nope....that one is yellow. This one is clark jr.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
I think you heard in the video...."great more eggs...*sigh*"

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
Nope! Unless I see an egg then I know that one might be legit, then I'll seperate them and give em a box....I do have a cage i don't use I could put them in there, I just hope it doesn't happen.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
I feel like we hijacked a thread but stacies mom never came back so....oh well.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I feel like we hijacked a thread but stacies mom never came back so....oh well.
What do you plan to do if your female budgie lays an egg? Since she's been quite friendly with your green male the egg may be fertile and if you don't have a nextbox set up for them the viable egg will go to waste! Do you have an egg incubator? You could always do what I did with Rocky's egg and incubate and raise it yourself. It wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be but maybe Rocky was just exceptionally easy to raise because she had a very good appetite and a strong feeding instinct from day one at two grams. And of course I was at her beck and call 24/7. Maybe that's why she can be such a bossy little witch!

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Would you consider pigeons? I know they're not parrots but I've seen that they seem to have a lot of the pluses of parrots, minus some of the more undesirable parts of them. I kind of wish I knew you could have them as pets before I got my flock as it would have made life easier if I got them instead.

They're already semi-domesticated so they like to be around people and are social with people more so than parrots. They're also a lot less messy, not as loud and they don't have the same hormone issues that many parrots have.

Other than that I'd recommend cockatiels. They're very easy going birds and will get on well with budgies. If you only have one then the dust isn't so bad, and not every bird will have night frights. My male cockatiel has never had one and my female has one once or twice a year, and usually my other birds are scared too so it's usually not just her being scared at nothing.

I'd argue against conures, except maybe crimson bellied conures as they're a bit more easy going than the other conures. My gcc likes to grab my budgies tails and get into everything she's not supposed to so with cats and dogs I wouldn't take the risk. My crimson bellied conure is very calm and like to sit and just watch things happen, but she also seeks out company and needs the stimulation daily or she gets very loud. Conures are also very messy and you will have food everywhere if you go with them, and they also destroy your furniture. My wooden blinds are destroyed, as is the top of my door and my skirting boards just from the conures.

I have no experience with the other species you mentioned but I hope this helps a little bit
I think a cockatiel (hand raised) would be perfect. They're dusty but no worse than a couple of budgies. They get along with most budgies very well. A male hand raised tiel would be already bonded to humans, will let you scratch his head and face, and entertain you whistling tunes. My male tiel never bit me.

OP
S

Spacey'sMom

Aug 24, 2022
Parrots
2 Budgies!
What do you plan to do if your female budgie lays an egg? Since she's been quite friendly with your green male the egg may be fertile and if you don't have a nextbox set up for them the viable egg will go to waste! Do you have an egg incubator? You could always do what I did with Rocky's egg and incubate and raise it yourself. It wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be but maybe Rocky was just exceptionally easy to raise because she had a very good appetite and a strong feeding instinct from day one at two grams. And of course I was at her beck and call 24/7. Maybe that's why she can be such a bossy little witch!
The female is the green budgie(I'm sure she doesn't care though) and we have not interest in more. The best we can do is discourage it by giving no nesting areas and keeping them on a strict 12-14 hour night cycle. So far no eggs or coupling have been seen.

I think based on everything I've seen here a Cockatiel, especially a hand-raised baby or well socialized adult is going to be the best option for what we are looking for. We already run air purifiers(Ion free) and I figure it can't be much worse than the numerous animals in our house already

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
The female is the green budgie(I'm sure she doesn't care though) and we have not interest in more. The best we can do is discourage it by giving no nesting areas and keeping them on a strict 12-14 hour night cycle. So far no eggs or coupling have been seen.

I think based on everything I've seen here a Cockatiel, especially a hand-raised baby or well socialized adult is going to be the best option for what we are looking for. We already run air purifiers(Ion free) and I figure it can't be much worse than the numerous animals in our house already
I hope you find a nice cockatiel to join your flock. Take your time looking for the right bird and make sure it also chooses you. A well socialized or hand fed tiel can quickly make an amazing, fun pet.

OP
S

Spacey'sMom

Aug 24, 2022
Parrots
2 Budgies!
What would be an appropriate size for a Tiel? I know bigger is better but keep in mind 10-12 hours will be spent out and about. I just want something that is a comfortable size for general bedtime activities and the rare occasion where the birds are unattended. The budgies have a "playgorund" I made that is 36wX14dX51t. I'm thinking something similar in width and height but a bit deeper. Would that be acceptable?

Most Reactions

Latest posts