Rodent repellant noise

ZephyrFly

Sep 21, 2014
UK
Parrots
Pazu - Green Cheek Conure - Hatch Date ~27 September 2014~
We are having a rodent issue... Sort of.

They're in the walls but not in the flat (no physical evidence), I've looked and I I find is the scratching in the walls at night (not every night but most).

I've heard of noise repellers for rodents and wondered if anyone here has used them.
Or if I should be concerned about the frequency bothering/being an issue for birds?

I'd like something to deter whatever rodent it is before they actually get in the flat.

Any help?

OP
ZephyrFly

ZephyrFly

Sep 21, 2014
UK
Parrots
Bump in case someone can help

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
I am certain that they are out there, but I have not heard of a rodent repellant noise.

Rodents in walls is not a good thing as they will target your electrical wiring and that could result in a fire.

If you are renting, contact your landlord. If this is your home, contact an exterminator.

OP
ZephyrFly

ZephyrFly

Sep 21, 2014
UK
Parrots
thanks, it's rent and the landlord knows and I don't know what they're called but they plug into a wall socket and either or both produce ultrasonic frequencies and send out electrical pulses through the mains. some products do one or both.
This is meant to be safe for pets (besides rodents) but sometimes advertised to deter birds from your home.

I looked up frequencies and found birds/parrot can't hear ultrasound frequencies so providing the product does actually release ultrasound and i keep Pazu away from any sockets then in theory it should be fine(need to talk to a manufacturer for details i think)

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Yup, I remember seeing them on TV adds for bugs and rodents. But that was a few years ago.

The landlord needs to get busy and hire a professional. The longer he waits the more expensive the repairs will be. Full building rewiring is no little thing. Some Insurance policy will cover it, but rarely do people buy it.

I would recommend that you save your money and start looking for a newer apartment. History stands on the side that the landlord will hire a professional to solve the rodent problem and look the other way regarding the rewiring - out of sight, out of mind.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
IMHO rodent noise repellants are absolutely useless. I can state from experience that an aggressive campaign against rodents must be taken from the first evidence of occupancy. If your landlord does not react quickly, and food sources in the form of bird food are maintained, they will set up maternity wards in the walls and will make life miserable.

OP
ZephyrFly

ZephyrFly

Sep 21, 2014
UK
Parrots
Thanks guys, while this is a shame it seems to not work, I haven't for the past week heard anymore scratching and we still haven't seen any evidence. Pazu's food is still safe, and the waste bin in the living room that has some scrap seeds and things from the bird cage.

So Hopefully I don't have to worry about this anymore? Touch-wood?

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

Thanks guys, while this is a shame it seems to not work, I haven't for the past week heard anymore scratching and we still haven't seen any evidence. Pazu's food is still safe, and the waste bin in the living room that has some scrap seeds and things from the bird cage.

So Hopefully I don't have to worry about this anymore? Touch-wood?

Hopefully you will be ok, but keep a sharp eye for evidence in the form of droppings, small holes in the wall at the very bottom, and displaced insulation. Mice and rats can constrict their body size and move through an opening you would never imagine.

Trust me, ants, cockroaches, fleas, spiders, etc are FAR less intrusive and capable of anguish then rodents. :mad:

OP
ZephyrFly

ZephyrFly

Sep 21, 2014
UK
Parrots
heard from the landlord that they've killed one. I hadn't heard what sounded like multiple sources when the noises were around but we'll see how the next month or so goes

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots

heard from the landlord that they've killed one. I hadn't heard what sounded like multiple sources when the noises were around but we'll see how the next month or so goes

Are you potentially dealing with mice or rats?

Big difference besides size; mice are stupid, rats are cunningly smart and harder to defeat. :(

OP
ZephyrFly

ZephyrFly

Sep 21, 2014
UK
Parrots
Well they got into some seed in the landlords house (above us) and the whole was small (they didnt tell me what they killed we just discussed rodents in general, I'll ask them tomorrow). But I heard from someone if I hear scratching then it's rats (mice being skittish and quiet).

The seed was in the cupboard under their sink, they got in by the whole at the back of the cupboard where the plumbing goes in the back of the wall. (First place I checked was where ever there's holes in the wall, only one is in the same place but we keep nothing but cleaners under ours and nothings been chewed)

Weird situation, not the worse but it's a bad feeling like I'm waiting for something. At least they haven't got in, I would see some evidence with the mess between Pazu and me (I'll hoover next weekend, weekends comes and goes) but I see no change.
At least the scratching's stopped...

Hawk

Banned
Banned
Dec 5, 2014
Media
Albums
Michigan, USA
Parrots
5 Parrots, 8 year old Blue-fronted Amazon, 2 1/2 yr. old African Grey, 2 3/4 year old Senegal. 5 month old ekkie, 5 month old Albino parakeet. Major Mitchell Cockatoo, passed away at age 68.
We are having a rodent issue... Sort of.

They're in the walls but not in the flat (no physical evidence), I've looked and I I find is the scratching in the walls at night (not every night but most).

I've heard of noise repellers for rodents and wondered if anyone here has used them.
Or if I should be concerned about the frequency bothering/being an issue for birds?

I'd like something to deter whatever rodent it is before they actually get in the flat.

Any help?

I have 8 of them installed, they don't bother the birds. Then I don't have them in same room as the birds. I place mine in basement and utility / pantry where I keep my bird food/second fridge. Haven't had a rodent in there yet.

Some will say they are not effective, well yes and no. If you get top of the line ones and not the cheap imitation ones yes they are quite effective.
However they are only good for a room no bigger than 15 x 15, they don't penetrate walls. And they are not exactly cheap.

But yeah, they are effective, and beats traps, bait and that which a parrot will find eventually sooner or later. If your parrots have free range of the house, so I don't take chances.

OP
ZephyrFly

ZephyrFly

Sep 21, 2014
UK
Parrots
Hawk, you say top of the range but what brands would you recommend then?

Hawk

Banned
Banned
Dec 5, 2014
Media
Albums
Michigan, USA
Parrots
5 Parrots, 8 year old Blue-fronted Amazon, 2 1/2 yr. old African Grey, 2 3/4 year old Senegal. 5 month old ekkie, 5 month old Albino parakeet. Major Mitchell Cockatoo, passed away at age 68.
Hawk, you say top of the range but what brands would you recommend then?

I use " The Good life Ultimate AT" devices. have one in every room except my bird room. Doesn't bother my birds even if they are in same room.

Another good brand is Riddex Pulse Plus, they too are very effective.
both are about the size of a night light, and run about 29 bucks a piece.
not cheap, but very effective. I Recommend at least one for every room 15 x15. They claim to do the whole house, but if you have brick walls like me, that ultra sonic sound won't penetrate it, so yea, one in every room., basement too.

Most Reactions