Roll reversal..

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
...everyone knows about the problem I'm having with Amy and BB's house.
Well now its vice verse!
Amy has two of those rainbow colored ropey perch thingies attached to her house. Now when Beebs decides to flapflapflap..where does he land?? You got it! On one of the ropey things :mad: Which of course gets Amy all worked up!
She's inside her house and gets as close to where BB is sitting and her head goes bob bob bob as she mumbles in 'zon speak and is all poofed up and Beebs is like laa dee dahh dahh clueless to what he is doing to her..sighhh

When wellness check time comes around I think its clip clip time for him. He is getting too bold and careless for his own good :33:

Jim

mh434

Oct 28, 2014
BC, Canada
Parrots
Yellow-naped Amazon "Sammy"
Love birds (4)
Green-cheeked Conure "Skittles" - now, sadly gone from my life
Blue-Crowned Conure "Tequila"
African Grey "Reno" - sadly, now gone from my life
Always a good idea to count their toes after a venture onto someone else's cage! We have Lovebirds in our flock, as well, and they're fearless - and have a penchant for trying to snip off the toes of any miscreants that mistakenly land on their cages!!

Abu Colo

Oct 28, 2017
Columbia
Parrots
Colocolo the Kolokolo Bird, Strigops habroptilus subsp. fortasse
Way too many budgerigars
Role... Unless we are actually talking about flipped bread or wound or coiled material.

FlyBirdiesFly

Jul 30, 2017
Media
Well now its vice verse!
Amy has two of those rainbow colored ropey perch thingies attached to her house. Now when Beebs decides to flapflapflap..where does he land?? You got it! On one of the ropey things :mad: Which of course gets Amy all worked up!
She's inside her house and gets as close to where BB is sitting and her head goes bob bob bob as she mumbles in 'zon speak and is all poofed up and Beebs is like laa dee dahh dahh clueless to what he is doing to her..sighhh

When wellness check time comes around I think its clip clip time for him. He is getting too bold and careless for his own good :33:

Jim

I would be so sad if you clipped BB’s wings...

OP
AmyMyBlueFront

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon

Well now its vice verse!

Jim

I would be so sad if you clipped BB’s wings...

Ya me too..I wanted him to learn how to fly,and he did/does and does it quite well. But as you probably know,cockateils spook pretty easily at the slightest thing and he is no exception. And when he takes off,he is full throttle yelling out in teil noises and is clueless where he is going.
I'd be heart broken if he crashed into something and hurt himself badly.
Amys ropey perches are far enough off the side of her house where she cant get to him if she is inside,but she gets real excited when he lands there.

Jim

FlyBirdiesFly

Jul 30, 2017
Media
Well, Ducky has never crashed into anything in his two years. Once they learn how to maneuver, they will know the house pretty well and won’t crash. Ducky also spooks easily but he just flies in circles until he’s comfortable landing. I think you should cover the windows and give BB a chance.

OP
AmyMyBlueFront

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon

The windows have curtains..it's everything else lol..the refridge..the china cabinet..crash lands on the counter. At times he is VERY precise in his abilities. He can be in the other room and I'll call to him and he comes right to me and lands perfectly on my hand,sometimes even my shoulder. He can be on me and when he sees his Uncle Dj (whom he loves and vice verse) he will take off from my hand and make a eight toe'd landing on his head.

Jim

OP
AmyMyBlueFront

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon

So sad that he’s even been recall trained and soon this will all go away...

Yep I know...I was super excited when he started to practice flying..when he was just a baby boy he would run a little then give a little "hop" and wave his arms frantically and get about a foot off the floor then lightly touch down,I was so proud of him. He can hover in the air for a couple seconds,make U turns quickly,and land preciously when he is focused on the job at hand,but other times he is a lunatic! Clueless on what he is doing!

I'd rather have a p.o. fid who will need me to take him places then a dead fid.

Jim

FlyBirdiesFly

Jul 30, 2017
Media
I guess some birds just aren’t the best flyers and will bump into things. Was BB allowed to fledge? Birds that have never fledged often aren’t the best at navigating through the air. Surprisingly, though, Ducky was clipped as a baby and learned to fly perfectly. Glad my birds are all excellent aviators. The only time one of my birds has ever hit something with force was when Kermit was clipped and he couldn’t get out of the way fast enough and flew into the window. These kind of things happen with clipped birds, not just flighted ones. The clipped birds may still be able to fly a little, but can’t control where they go.
Keep BB safe!

mh434

Oct 28, 2014
BC, Canada
Parrots
Yellow-naped Amazon "Sammy"
Love birds (4)
Green-cheeked Conure "Skittles" - now, sadly gone from my life
Blue-Crowned Conure "Tequila"
African Grey "Reno" - sadly, now gone from my life
Some birds learn how to fly brilliantly, but never figure out how to land! Sammy, my YNA, flies like the wind & lands like a greased crowbar. During one memorable flight, he was doing laps around the living room at high speed, and couldn't seem to choose a landing spot (and it didn't occur to him to slow down for landing). He ended up stuffing himself completely into the paper output port of my wife's printer. We lost sight of him just before his "landing", and couldn't locate him.

I started calling his name, and heard one of his "embarrassed 'Zon" sounds coming from deep inside the printer. I had a heck of a time getting him out of there without harming him! Had to partially disassemble the printer to do it...

OP
AmyMyBlueFront

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon

I guess some birds just aren’t the best flyers and will bump into things. Was BB allowed to fledge? Birds that have never fledged often aren’t the best at navigating through the air. Surprisingly, though, Ducky was clipped as a baby and learned to fly perfectly. Glad my birds are all excellent aviators. The only time one of my birds has ever hit something with force was when Kermit was clipped and he couldn’t get out of the way fast enough and flew into the window. These kind of things happen with clipped birds, not just flighted ones. The clipped birds may still be able to fly a little, but can’t control where they go.
Keep BB safe!

BB was 4.5 months old when he came home with me...The breeder clipped his baby clothes and when he did his first adult molt he learned to fly.

Jim

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Cockatiels can definitely "fly of the handle" at the slightest thing.
It doesn't mater how well they know their surroundings they can and will run into things at full escape speed.
When something scares them it's like their intelligence turns off and nothing but instinct is in control.
I have seen it happen many times.
I just try not to let too many of my ties out at the same time. This reduces the chance of a ....cascade, one spooks and get them all going crazy.
wes

FlyBirdiesFly

Jul 30, 2017
Media
Cockatiels can definitely "fly of the handle" at the slightest thing.
It doesn't mater how well they know their surroundings they can and will run into things at full escape speed.
When something scares them it's like their intelligence turns off and nothing but instinct is in control.
I have seen it happen many times.
I just try not to let too many of my ties out at the same time. This reduces the chance of a ....cascade, one spooks and get them all going crazy.
wes

Is Ducky at risk of flying into things then?

Most Reactions

Latest posts