Ronni I need more help!

Bigal95

Jan 7, 2012
Australia
Parrots
Pink and grey Galah
Ronni Another question

:64:I have anouther Question.
I have been spending alot of time with my Ron and he is alot friendlier, I have been saying hello, how ya doing, what you got there, Ronni ect in a high pich tone nearly every time I walk past the cage plus i give hime little bits of penuts and apple his favroute food and he responds to that well he does a bobbing his whole body and making a weird clucking noise? any idea. (doesnt happen all the time most time he comes up to me)
PLUS!!! is there a such thing as to much time with him? or to much is to little?
I hope we are geting along :64: if anyone can tell me how they treat their bird and how it turns out, and any hints and tips I would love to hear from you. :41:

Last edited:

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
How old is Ronni??? Are you able to get a video of the bobbing and clucking noise? It may be a mating thing. It's best to have them to be self-sufficient so they're not super dependent on you 24/7. Not saying you can't take him out all the time, but he needs some alone time where he can play and such on his own.

OP
Bigal95

Bigal95

Jan 7, 2012
Australia
Parrots
Pink and grey Galah
he did it today when i came up to the cage and gave him a scrach on the neck and said RONNI! in a cheerfool voice and he started clucking and bobbing.
As he clucks he has a perch that he sits on and he moves from side to side and does a 180 turn.
I believe that Ronni is 1 year old.

Bright Star

May 28, 2011
Colorado
Parrots
Keats (budgie) born Feb. 18, 2011, and Raphael (budgie) adopted July 3, 2011. Finn, a Brown-Head Poicephalus, born January 4, 2010, has also joined the family!
I think you need to look really closely at Ronni's reactions. Is he pinning (i.e., flashing) his eyes when he bobs. Does he seems stressed when he moves from side to side. It could be these are things he learned in a previous home, or they could be signs that he's uncomfortable. Maybe what you need is to just spend some quiet time with Ronni, really watching him, really paying attention to his body language, what seems to make him happy (besides food :) ), how he reacts to your movements, etc. With a new bird, the first step is getting to know what they are comfortable with.

Pedro

Dec 15, 2010
Australia
Parrots
2 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 6 GCC'S, 2 Crimson Bellie Conures, 9 Sun Conures, 2 Major Mitchells, 12 Eclectus parrots of various ages, 2 BF Amazons, 2 Hahn's Macaw's, 1 Red Tail Black Too
Re: Ronni Another question

:64:I have anouther Question.
I have been spending alot of time with my Ron and he is alot friendlier, I have been saying hello, how ya doing, what you got there, Ronni ect in a high pich tone nearly every time I walk past the cage plus i give hime little bits of penuts and apple his favroute food and he responds to that well he does a bobbing his whole body and making a weird clucking noise? any idea. (doesnt happen all the time most time he comes up to me)
PLUS!!! is there a such thing as to much time with him? or to much is to little?
I hope we are geting along :64: if anyone can tell me how they treat their bird and how it turns out, and any hints and tips I would love to hear from you. :41:

I think you will find Ron is just being a Galah. :D I would say he is dancing, Too's love to dance. I was watching my Sulpher Crested Too doing the same sort of thing last night.

The most important thing is to not rush him, baby steps. Read his body language, for instance don't make him do something he doesn't want to do. When training only about 5 minutes at a time to start of with. Their attention span isn't very long. What you really have to do is to gain his trust & that could take a few months if not years.

When I got my Too he belonged to a young man for about 5 years & absolutely hated his new wife. He was scared stiff of me, being a middle age woman with glasses I had to work hard at gaining this birds trust. I figured out he wasn't exactly scared of me but my glasses, so at feed time i would take them off & while he was watching me i would put them back on until he got used of me & didn't freak out when i went near his cage. It's been 5 years now & I am still working with him but we have come a long way. He is such a sweetheart, has never bitten me. He does strike out if he isn't happy. I am at the point with Frosty where he will cuddle, love scratches. I wouldn't say i can do anything with him. He has always been a little on the nervous side. So I am working on that now.

You have many years with Ron, I adopted an old Galah from a family member, poor old fellow passed away last year at the ripe old age of 70 plus. We really didn't know his true age but he was a mature bird when my Uncle got him. So if Ron gets cranky or doesn't want to do something don't take it personal just give him some space.

http://www.avianweb.com/galahcockatoos.html

Last edited:

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Yea I have to agree with Pedro there. After you explained a bit, I understood what you meant. As my too does the same thing. :)

OP
Bigal95

Bigal95

Jan 7, 2012
Australia
Parrots
Pink and grey Galah
Thankyou guys. When I first say him do that I thought he was dancing of some sort aha. you guys have realy good addvise ill probbily have more questions soo they will be in my 2 question boxes or ill make a new one saying Ronni questions!
thanks =D

Most Reactions

Latest posts