Ronnie - B&G Macaw

TaliTheTiger

Sep 26, 2013
Llanelli
Parrots
Ronnie - B&G Macaw
Blue - Indian Ringneck
Hi, I bought my first Macaw on Wednesday. He is seven years old and has sadly been moved from pillar to post. When I went to meet him the owners told me they were frightened of him and that he didn't like strangers. I held out my arm and he came straight away, with a cheery hello. He tried to bite, several times but I was firm and told him no. You could see that this was strange behaviour for him to see. Anyway I bought him and bought him home. I am home all the time, I live with my 11 year old son, a redpoint Siamese, a miniature dachshund, a ringneck parakeet, three dumbo rats and a corn snake. All my animals are silly tame and get on with one another.
So Ronnie came home, I have purchased him a Liberta Canterbury cage, and a large robust playstand. I was told he doesn't like being stroked!
Wednesday afternoon I took him to my mothers with me, he was chatty and pleasant. In the evening he was on his play stand chatting away then I offered him my arm, he happily sat on my knee being stroked for ten minutes before climbing onto the floor to interact with the dog and cat. I watched carefully ready to intervene. It was soon apparent the boss was the parrot! He told the dog "shut up dog" when he barked and then chased him across the floor! He slept all night with no issues.
Thursday we went to my mothers once again (Ronnie and Charlie the dog - yes I am the local fruit loop). Again he was sociable and enjoyed the interaction. We returned home and he came from room to room as I cleaned. I talk and sing to my pets all the time - even the rats and snake! So Ronnie told me to "shut up and grow up" lol!!! In the afternoon I thought ok, let's put it to the test. We went out in the car, he sat on my shoulder as I drove (less than a mile to collect my son from school) he was totally fascinated and chatted away, oooohing and ahhhhing lol! He got out of the car with me and walked to the school gates. He seemed to enjoy everyone talking to him (I wouldn't let anyone touch him). We then took him home and left him on his play stand by the window and went out. My neighbours were home and I asked them to listen for any horrendous noise. As obviously he can't come everywhere so needs to be able to be left. He was great. He enjoys watching people pass and will say hello! Early days I know! So Thursday evening I offered him my arm, he sat on my knee for 2 hours 10 minutes being scritched, he even played with the cats ears very gently! He was totally cuddly and sweet. He let me know when he had had enough and I returned him to his own space. He has adapted remarkably well and I just wonder if this is the calm before the storm or have I just got lucky as I exerted dominance over him and showed no fear (inside I was bricking it lol - those beaks are quite something).
So yes I want to make going out part of his daily routine, even if its just to visit my mother, but living in the UK the weather is changing and I don't want him to be cold :(

Sorry for the long ramble!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 318

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Welcome to the forum!!! Sounds like Ronnie made a instant bond with you which that is a good thing! To allow him on your shoulders, that's your choice but be aware! They can really do some serious damage to your face, especially one you don't know that well yet. They can take a bite out of you when you scare them accidentally. When they go into their hormones is when you need to be more careful letting them on the shoulder.

When Willie went into his first major hormone when he turned 10, he was totally evil and attacked me. It caught me off guard and I've been doing the same routine daily. He peel back my skin like banana peel and left me with deep wounds. Him and I had a great meeting to begin with, he choose me from day one which it shocked his previous owners. He's 12 years old now and we've had him for 10 years.

kendrafitz

Jul 14, 2012
Central NJ
Parrots
Rosie the Green Winged Macaw
Congratulations! He sounds awesome. Maybe the previous owners were afraid of the beak and he knew it. I know macaws enjoy being the boss if they can, just like toddlers. It sounds like he is a great match for you. He is very lucky you found him, his life will be so much richer with you!!

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
My GW Mac hadn't been handled in 8 years. Same deal. They became afraid of her, simply because the people lacked the skills to properly handle the bird.

There was never anything wrong with the bird. And big macs are LAP BIRDS!

What he really doesn't like are the people who locked him in a cage and left him there to rot! THEY probably couldn't touch him, but there is a reason for that...

Glad you guys found each other.

Last edited:

Buzz2537

Aug 16, 2013
NJ
Parrots
Hahn's Macaw
Congratulations. I had to laugh about the fruit loop remark. My kids call me crazy Yorkie lady, because I have 8 rescued Yorkies and then sometimes I get called nuts because I walk with my mini Macaw on my shoukder and my Yorkie kn the leash. LMAO. it is greatmyoumare getting him out and about. Q great harness to use is the Aviator harness, take your time and use a target word. When I take the harness out to put on Hahnna, I use the single word park, she has now started to,repeat it when she sees the harness and associates it with going somewhere she likes, the park where we walk with the dogs. Good luck, you are doing such a womderful job already.

Most Reactions