Roy Enjoying his New Setup - Eating in Some Pics

riddick07

Dec 22, 2011
PA
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw (Titan) & Yellow Naped Amazon (Kelly)
So after changing a few factors I think Roy seems much happier and active. I took him off heat and letting the cage above him heat up his cage and light above gives off some heat. His temps are around 78-80 hot side and 74 cold side. He really perked up when he got the coco husk with the increased humidity. He ate two small rats the other day with a much more aggressive feeding response. The cage is too small but his new cage should be on its way soon!

So as I was feeding him I went 'Oh it probably would have been smart to feed him in another container now with those chunks of coco husk'. Next time since I wasn't interrupting him after he darted out for the rat! I watched him eat both and no chunks but definitely safer not to feed in there from now on.

I think I'm going to setup the calico with something similar even though hers has pretty good humidity. I'll probably move her cage up a size too for more room to move around since she has been more active recently.

Dopey

Apr 18, 2014
Media
Maryland
So are you going to have babies? What do you call snakes that have babies? Breeding? I will just enjoy yours.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Gosh!! Roy is sheer eye candy!!! :32: He had 2 entire rats in one day? Do you feed live or frozen/dethawed?

OP
riddick07

riddick07

Dec 22, 2011
PA
Parrots
So are you going to have babies? What do you call snakes that have babies? Breeding? I will just enjoy yours.

If I wanted anything besides normals I would have to buy a different female to breed him with since I doubt the genetics are there in either snakes. All morphs I have for the beauties are recessive, so unless my female is het for albino I won't get albinos. And if my male isn't het for hypo or calico I won't get either one of those either. I highly doubt he is recessive for either one since he is an ex breeder and nothing was mentioned in the ad for genes. Though the babies from the pair would have a lot of genes going on for future breedings lol

All my females are way too young to breed anyway. If I ever get the urge to breed any of them it would probably be my new sunglow boa. I'd have to find her a pretty male though if I did. And boas are live bearing snakes so no eggs.

OP
riddick07

riddick07

Dec 22, 2011
PA
Parrots
Gosh!! Roy is sheer eye candy!!! :32: He had 2 entire rats in one day? Do you feed live or frozen/dethawed?

Yep there is no wondering why he was a breeder! 2 small rats. Beauties tend to like smaller meal sizes since their jaw doesn't open like other species. At least I think that was the reason if I'm remembering correctly. You can see the lump in the one pic down the body and then him swallowing another. I feed frozen for everyone.

itchyfeet

Nov 1, 2014
Middle Earth
Parrots
Ethyl the cockatiel, Henry & Clarke the IRN's, and Skittles the lovebird (my daughters)
There's such thing as LIVE BEARING snakes?!?!?!:eek:

OP
riddick07

riddick07

Dec 22, 2011
PA
Parrots
Yep! I was surprised to learn this too when I got my first boa.

OP
riddick07

riddick07

Dec 22, 2011
PA
Parrots
After talking about breeding....I found my boa girls future male... lol if only I had the money right now but I'm taking five birds to the vet next week and my horses dental bill to pay still...sigh...
http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=749047&stc=1&d=1447248087

OMG, Victoria, he is STUNNING!!!! What's the price tag on that gorgeous boy? :eek:

He is $400 shipped. Not a bad price considering he has a possibility of being het for another morph too.

I just sent my car payment too...so I'm pretty broke right now. If he is still around in a month or so maybe....who wants a baby :p

Last edited:
OP
riddick07

riddick07

Dec 22, 2011
PA
Parrots
Picked up a new log on the way home from work and he was all over it in about 2 minutes. He is already sitting inside. I wanted something that would let him get away from sitting on the wet substrate if he wanted....so far it's working.

Minimaker

Jul 29, 2014
Illinois
Parrots
GW Macaw-Sailor, Goffins Cockatoo Mako, GC Conure-Tazzy, Turquoise Conure Yuki, Budgies-Percy, Annabeth, Elsa
He's beautiful, truly stunning. I couldn't have one though. Knowing my luck he'd probably get out and try to eat my chinchilla. She kinda looks like a big mouse. A snake would see her and think "Jackpot!"

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Roy is enjoying the high life :). Perfect conditions, new log that he likes... he's waiting for his new cage now, and a girlfriend lol. Actually, Roy already has a girlfriend doesn't he? She just lives for now in a separate residence?

ps... you better go ahead and reserve that male boa before someone else gets him!

Most Reactions