Ruby Visit!

HRH Di

Jan 9, 2010
Media
McKinney, TX
Parrots
Max - Alexandrine, Jade - Red-Front Macaw, Ruby - CAG
We went to see Ruby yesterday. I can't believe how much she's changing! She's about 9 weeks old and has nearly all of her feathers. She walking just fine and doesn't seem to miss her back toes at all. She's also trying to perch. The breeder had put some lower perches in the "play pen" to make it easier for Ruby to climb up. But Ruby's having none of it and heads straight to the highest perch available.

She's still getting baby formula, but is eating a bit on her own. She took some little sprouts from me and my husband. Here's a picture...I have more but I have to pull them off of my camera.

RubyDanMay16.jpg

We took our youngest son with us for this visit so he'll be comfortable with her when she comes home. Jade kind of makes him nervous. While he was there, he got to know Cholly, a baby Severe who's looking for a home.

DavidCholly.jpg

Cholly's incredibly sweet and cuddly - he doesn't believe in strangers - and if I wanted yet another bird, Cholly would be it.

wuvzbirdies

May 5, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Parrots
Congo African Grey: Russell Peters (R.I.P. my baby)
Oh my gosh!!!! Ruby is absolutely adorable, that is exactly what Russell looked like when we used to visit him at the breeder! You must be jumping out of your skin with excitement, I know I was.

Cholly is gorgeous! I would love a cuddly bird, Russell loves me and will only sit with me but he's not particularly "cuddly".

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
You are going to have so much fun with your CAG. Hope you have lots of time to spend with her.

parrotqueen

Jan 14, 2010
Media
United States
Parrots
Pineapple & Sunshine--Gray/wildtype male cockatiels
Congratulations on your baby, she's adorable! She looks like she really enjoys cuddling with you. You're going to have so much fun with her!!

OP
HRH Di

HRH Di

Jan 9, 2010
Media
McKinney, TX
Parrots
I haven't kept up very well with the Ruby updates. But we went to see her on Saturday and spend more than an hour with her. She's flying now...and crashing...but she's trying. She's also down to just 2 formula feedings a day. As soon as she's off the formula all together, we can bring her home! I'm hoping just a few more weeks.

RubyMay24Closeup.jpg

Here she is perching. You can see her little stub toes in this one, but she doesn't even notice them.

RubyPerching2May20.jpg

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
Ruby is such a nice name for her. My birthstone by the way. They are so full of cuddles when they are young like this. I bet you cannot sleep for all the excitement.

OP
HRH Di

HRH Di

Jan 9, 2010
Media
McKinney, TX
Parrots
SB, you are absolutely right! I spent a lot of time sewing this weekend and had to take out a bunch of seams because I was thinking about Ruby and not paying attention. We decided on her name to keep in line with the precious gem names and people names. Ruby fit her better than Opal or Pearl.

She loves to sit on my shoulder and just look around and "sing" in my ear. She wasn't nervous around me at all and we hadn't visited in 3 weeks.

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Such an exciting time for all, imagine what is going through Ruby's mind.
Ruby is too beautiful, such a "gem"
Thanks for the gorgeous pic's, brings back so many treasured memories.
She looks exactly like Mishka did, I WANT ANOTHER MISHKA !!!!!!!!!

Most Reactions