Safe Materials For Homemade Toys!!!

echoskybound

Mar 30, 2011
Media
Parrots
Wheatley - 4 year old Green Cheek Conure
Thanks for the link! I love making toys. I've started making toys out of fleece lately, because fleece doesn't fray or produce long threads that they can ingest. I found that my GCC was actually hurting himself by fighting with his wooden and metal toys (I found him with some bruises on his cere the other week... ouch!) so I wanted to make him some softer toys, and he loves preening the fleece. It's only a couple dollars a yard, and is great for wrapping around swings and making snuggle rings, etc.

cdog

Feb 20, 2012
Newbury Park, CA
Parrots
Sully-2 year old cinnamon and Bella-3 year old normal
breeding pair of gcc, Scooter & BeeBee-Sully and Bella's normal son's, Rosey- Bella and Sully's cinnamon daughter, Ella & Sunny-American budgies
I started ordering toy parts from mysafebirdstore and I ordered $160 of toy parts. I have already made about 100 toys and I still have some parts left!
There are a few toys I just like to order because they would be too hard to make but my boys would love them so I just order those and make the rest.
And all the parts I get are natural except on some of the toys I use rope to hold the toys together, mostly I just use leather rope though.

Last edited:
OP
W

wenz2712

Banned
Banned
Nov 16, 2011
Media
You will have to post some pics cdog of the toys you have made :)

Purl

May 15, 2012
Northern NJ
Parrots
Ducorp's Cockatoo -Purl
Lovebirds - Salsa and Peeps

Angel Cockatiels - Chloe and Quasimodo
I printed these 2 books off to help me make sure Purl is happy. I've heard and seen too many pics of cockatoos that have plucked. I will do everything I can to prevent this from happening. She has 4 large toys in her cage at all times..every morning at least 2 are stuffed with almonds and her pellets to keep her occupied. I come home at night to a mess at the bottom of her cage...

Parrot Enrichment

Hope this gives you some great ideas!!
Chris and Purl

Oedipussrex

Jun 3, 2012
Australia
Parrots
Charlie - Galah
Thought id ask this here instead of starting a new thread:

Is cotton 'sash cord' okay to use say to cover PVC to make a rope ring-swing?
places like my safe bird store have ridiculously priced postage to me, and all i can find are rope wholesalers in my area to get the length i need, but then i need to tell them exactly what i want...

is three stranded or braided better, in relation to wear, and toenails getting caught?

Aims

Jun 23, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Parrots
"Jax" Red-sided Eclectus ~ "Peaches" Lutino Lovebird ~ "Skid" Peachface Lovebird ~ "Bo" and "Peep" Cockatiel's ~ "Opie" Galah
Thought id ask this here instead of starting a new thread:

Is cotton 'sash cord' okay to use say to cover PVC to make a rope ring-swing?
places like my safe bird store have ridiculously priced postage to me, and all i can find are rope wholesalers in my area to get the length i need, but then i need to tell them exactly what i want...

is three stranded or braided better, in relation to wear, and toenails getting caught?

I see you are also in Australia Oedipussrex, My Parrot Shop - Parrot Toys and Parrot Supplies in Australia sell heaps of toys some natural too.. They also sell parts and hardware to make them. They sell abaca rope. I haven't bought off them yet but I am planning to. I have heard good things about them. :)

Most Reactions