Safe to take parrots to a Duck Park?

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Boomer (Sun Conure 9 yrs), Pewpew (Budgie 5 yrs), Ulap (Budgie 2 yrs), Eight & Kiki (Beloved Budgies, RIP)
Sorry for all the threads I've been starting the past few weeks. I just never seem to run out of questions!

So I'm 80% sure I will purchase a bird backpack to take Boomer out on walks. Thanks to the awesome people who participated in my last thread, I'm getting closer to a decision. I'm excited thinking of all the places me and Boomer can go with the backpack.

I wanted to know if its safe to take my sun conure to this duck park that is right across the street from my apartment. He will be in a backpack the while time. There are lots of ducks, geese, pigeons and other birds flying free in this park. It's got this artificial lake in the middle with lots of trees and grass. Should I be worried of airborne diseases and ticks/lice?

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
I bring Rosie out to all sorts of places, I do bring her to parks. We have a local lake I bring her sometimes, there are hawks, falcons, osprey, herons, gulls, egrets, ducks, geese, and much more. I avoid the water fowl, and stay away from areas that I know the birds would graze(and poop). I also don't let Rosie go I the ground.

Bringing our birds outside has it's own dangers, just be smart about it :)

aConureLover

Nov 25, 2012
My sun conure goes almost everywhere I go in the City of Atlanta. He rides on my shoulder and we go all over town on a bicycle. It is commendable that you are concerned about diseases etc. I do not let Chiquita go near other birds in the pet stores for that reason. I try to be very protective of any and all possible threats to my closest loved one. Along with this responsibility, I also enjoy his presence and would not want to miss the wonderful times we have out in the open. But I do go to the lake at the park with Chiquita which has geese and we do not go near them. Chiquita knows if he sees a hawk to jump down in my shirt for safety. He usually sees them before I do. There is a growing problem here in the U.S. of lice and bed bugs. I do not take him on public transportation for that reason. I personally would not transport Chiquita in a back pack. I have a small transport cage that fits in a bag that I carry him in if, and only if it is absolutely necessary. In my car, Chiquita likes to ride on the passenger head rest and on my shoulder. The head rest would not work with leather due to the slick surface. Hope this helps. I am no authority or expert...this is just mine and Chiquita's experience.
~George

Last edited:
OP
BoomBoom

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Boomer (Sun Conure 9 yrs), Pewpew (Budgie 5 yrs), Ulap (Budgie 2 yrs), Eight & Kiki (Beloved Budgies, RIP)
Thanks for the responses!

Conurelover, the backpack is actually designed to carry birds. It has a perch inside and mesh walls so he could enjoy the view and the breeze :) Good point about ublic transportation.

Copper, is there something about duck and geese that I should avoid? And yes, this duck park has LOTS of waterfowls. They graze, sleep, swim, fly and poop all over. They pretty much live in the park. Even the artificial lake's water is kind of mossy and murky. Bad idea to take him to the park right? I never too him there in the 1 year he's been in the apartment just because I've always questioned how safe the 'air' would be in that park with all the fowls running amock. Its just so tempting since all I have to do is cross the street!

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
Chickens, ducks & geese are known to carry salmonella, so you don't want to touch anything they may have been on & you don't want your bird to either.....

If you do touch and/or handle things around the duck park, be sure to wash your hands before handling your bird(s).....

A number of years ago, the the San Francisco Chronicle reported “Infected birds inhabit S.F. Zoo’s new exhibit.” This article describes how the public was allowed into a new, interactive exhibit at the San Francisco Zoo, while birds infected with parrot beak and feather disease (PBFD) were flying around.

When I go to bird fairs/shows, I change clothes & shower before I interact with any of my birds...I also thoroughly wash & sanitize toys or anything else I buy at those shows/fairs too.....

Last edited:
OP
BoomBoom

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
I see, thanks Weco! I'll find some lace else to take Boomer. Not very many choices in the city sadly!

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
Actually, when you start taking a bird outside with you & they enjoy it, they will often get excited when they think you are going somewhere.....I can ask my patty if she's ready to go & she squawks a couple of times while doing a little jig then flies to my shoulder, while we go for a ride, I'm sure she would be just as happy if we went for a walk, but we don't live anywhere near a walking area.....guess we could drive to a park & walk around or just sit & watch what might be going on.....

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
I've taken Charlie to the marina a few times and he's enjoyed it! Yes, there's geese, and ducks, and other water birds there! But I don't put Charlie down on the grass/dirt nor does he go in the water! People also take their dogs there, so I'd rather him be on me than not on me, even if no dogs were around.

556807_10151002018216469_1377628048_n.jpg

Parrotdise

Mar 14, 2013
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot, Sam, Double Yellow Headed Amazon, Sierra & Black Headed Caique, Daisy Jane
Beautiful pic of Charlie. I think it is probably okay as long as you don't set your bird down on anything that could have germs. When i go anywhere that has birds though i always clean my the bottom of shoes because on occasion Daisy Jane likes to play on the floor, or one of the other birds will fly to the floor. I try to keep my floors as germ free as possible.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Thanks! :) I really wanted to take him and my pup to the marina on Tuesday, we had nice weather then, an even on Wednesday! Sadly, I've been sick since Monday and it doesn't seem to be letting up much!

I think the main thing is is to use common sense, watch your birds behavior, and enjoy the time outside!

BTW, if it helps (for any who don't know how they work), some youtube vids on the Pak O Bird.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1IhBhsoS1U]Elima tries out the Pak-O-Bird - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFeQ_Tsq_3s]Packsacked Budgie Li'l Babi - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPrnYrVkcrk]??????... - YouTube[/ame]

And this one is something different, but interesting nevertheless!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2P3NgRQ-_8]birdy back pack - YouTube[/ame]

And for those who prefer stroller style...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8hvemdcbOw"]Truely Too is the Bell of the Ball at the Farmer's Market - YouTube[/ame]

Parrotdise

Mar 14, 2013
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot, Sam, Double Yellow Headed Amazon, Sierra & Black Headed Caique, Daisy Jane
@ Monica I hope you feel better soon.

OP
BoomBoom

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
I love the look on Charlie's face. I wonder what he thinks of the ocean, he seemed slightly unsure.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Oh, I live in the middle of a desert, no where close to an ocean! (Well, maybe a 2-3 hrs drive if I could drive through mountains! or 3+ hrs to San Francisco!). I could be wrong, but I think he was born near Santa Rosa, CA, and then lived in San Francisco for several years before I adopted him.

Whenever I take Charlie somewhere, he'll be inside his carrier saying "Hi Char-LEE!" and if I don't respond, he'll scream at me! So... we have "Hi Char-LEE!" conversations back and forth until we get to our destination. Once there, he loves to get out and hang with me! Not a fan of strangers, but they don't scare him, either. He simply doesn't like anyone he doesn't know, so it takes a while to warm up to new people. As far as I can tell, he enjoys going outside! He gets eager to go places and will quiver his wings before we head somewhere! Afterwards, he tends to be tired out from all the sites and observations, so he tends to be a bit quieter! :D It's a nice perk! LOL

And thanks Parrotdise! I can only hope I'm on the mend! I'm getting tired of having all the nice days when I'm either working or sick! I feel like I'm getting cabin fever!

tokensmom

Jan 24, 2013
Parrots
GCC...TOKEN
Monica...what is Charlie wearing in that pic? Brand please? Doesnt look bulky...thinking Token would comply with a little teaching.

Parrotdise

Mar 14, 2013
Parrots
Charlie sounds so cute sounds like you have good company.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
That's the Aviator harness he's wearing - although I also have two feather tethers somewhere... It has no parts that snap together, no buckles, no hooks or anything like that. It was designed light weight and sturdy. As my understanding goes, if a parrot "breaks" one of the "welds", the manufacturer will give you a free replacement with reinforced "welds". Probably not the correct wording, but I don't recall the correct term when you "weld" two pieces of fabric together.

http://i1284.photobucket.com/albums/a562/loveoffeathers/image_zpse5c3658a.jpg
http://www.parrotrescuecentre.com/images/uploadedimages/aviator_harness.jpg

I also have photos of him wearing the Feather Tether, and IMO, that's easier to put on and take off than the Aviator harness is... but the Aviator Harness was designed better.

Most Reactions

Latest posts