Safe wood

eliholtman

Sep 13, 2017
Cincinnati
Parrots
Kiwi the 'keet
Yako the 'keet
I just received this corner shelf thing for my birds and was wondering if this wood is safe or not... I assume it is but I’m a little skeptical and idk why I just have a weird feeling so I felt that I should ask on here
e59e947418b232d9860dd0873031af2b.jpg
55ddd4027b8f47da813dac3e9dea5364.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Probably pine wood. Did the place you purchase it from say what kind of wood?

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I feel you on that, it looks like it has been treated! It has a shine that worries me. I have looked at some like these but hesitated because weren'tm USA made...

OP
eliholtman

eliholtman

Sep 13, 2017
Cincinnati
Parrots
Kiwi the 'keet
Yako the 'keet
I feel you on that, it looks like it has been treated! It has a shine that worries me. I have looked at some like these but hesitated because weren'tm USA made...

It doesn’t have like a chemical smell but the smell is just off a little it’s weird

itzjbean

Jan 27, 2017
Media
Iowa, USA
Parrots
2 cockatiels
If you bought on Amazon did it have good reviews? Normally that kind of wood is fine. Are your birds chewers?

OP
eliholtman

eliholtman

Sep 13, 2017
Cincinnati
Parrots
Kiwi the 'keet
Yako the 'keet
If you bought on Amazon did it have good reviews? Normally that kind of wood is fine. Are your birds chewers?

Mostly w shredding stuff not so much wood or perches tho

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
The problem with that particular corner-perch is going to be the danger of your bird(s) chewing on it, as it's definitely either been treated, or it's been "sealed" with something; it's quite obviously that it's not "Raw" Pine, because if it was it wouldn't be shiny like that. The only way raw wood becomes shiny like that is if it's either chemically-treated, or if it's sealed with something on it's exterior, like a water-sealer, a varnish, etc. I don't think there's any question that the outside of it has been either treated or sealed with some type of chemical, varnish, water-sealer, etc.

So if your bird(s) chew on it they are directly chewing on the chemical/sealer/varnish. So there's your problem.

I'd message the seller that you bought it from on Amazon, or ask your own question to the seller on Amazon, and ask them directly what the outside of the wood has been sealed or treated with, because it's definitely not "raw"...

OP
eliholtman

eliholtman

Sep 13, 2017
Cincinnati
Parrots
Kiwi the 'keet
Yako the 'keet
The problem with that particular corner-perch is going to be the danger of your bird(s) chewing on it, as it's definitely either been treated, or it's been "sealed" with something; it's quite obviously that it's not "Raw" Pine, because if it was it wouldn't be shiny like that. The only way raw wood becomes shiny like that is if it's either chemically-treated, or if it's sealed with something on it's exterior, like a water-sealer, a varnish, etc. I don't think there's any question that the outside of it has been either treated or sealed with some type of chemical, varnish, water-sealer, etc.

So if your bird(s) chew on it they are directly chewing on the chemical/sealer/varnish. So there's your problem.

I'd message the seller that you bought it from on Amazon, or ask your own question to the seller on Amazon, and ask them directly what the outside of the wood has been sealed or treated with, because it's definitely not "raw"...

I’m probably not going to end up putting it in their cage it’s just too big of a a risk factor

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
Better safe than sorry, though it may be alright, you never know until you ask the seller...I'd guess it's got something on it that is sealing it though...I don't know why anyone would make such a nice little corner-perch for birds and then seal it/finish it with something...

Most Reactions

Latest posts