Salmon and Coconut Oil

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Boomer (Sun Conure 9 yrs), Pewpew (Budgie 5 yrs), Ulap (Budgie 2 yrs), Eight & Kiki (Beloved Budgies, RIP)
Hi everyone. I've been doing some research on two things I would like to include in my sun conure's diet. I wanted to hear what everyone thought about it. I've read through the various threads on this forum but opinions were varied.

Salmon

I recently realized that vitamin D is often overlooked in my bird's diet and it is probably one of the most important ones for his calcium needs. I was looking for foods rich in vitamin D and salmon was one of the top ones. I know that sunlight plays the biggest part in vitamin D synthesis but I'd like it to exist in his diet too. From reading old blogs and forum posts, I realized a lot of people feed their parrots fish. I plan on boiling salmon filets every 2 weeks or so. Is this a good idea? How many of you feed fish meat to your parrots?

Coconut Oil

Some members in this forum swear by it. It is rich in Beta Carotene which I think is converted into Vitamin A. Boomer already gets loads of Vitamin A from his favourite veggies so I'm not too concerned about that. I am interested in the high Lauric Acid it contains, which from what I read, is some sort of antiviral, antibacterial and anti-microbial agent. There is also the added bonus of healthy and sleek plumage. It all sounds too good to be true right? The only thing that worries me is that Coconut Oil is saturated fat. Some also say the coconut oil is the current trend in a long line of 'super foods' and that most of the benefits for our birds are not grounded with scientific facts.

I like adding new things to my bird's diet and enrich it as much as I can. I don't want to be jumping on bandwagons but I don't want to miss out on something that could potentially be a great supplement. I would love to hear your opinions!

Last edited:

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
I give Rosie salmon on occasion, but only when we are eating it. I don't go out of my way to make it, but I also take Rosie out in the sun a lot.

I don't use coconut oil.

goalerjones

Oct 24, 2011
Parrots
Hahn's macaw, RIP George, Jenday Conure
Hahnzel loves salmon like I do. If my wife liked it like we do we would have it more. I use coconut oil for cooking my eggs in when no one else will be eating but he and I since it can be an unwanted flavor for the eggs. As for its health properties, I use it instead of butter, but havent seen data for birds.

I do know tuna is bad for animals though.

LoveMyParrots

Dec 29, 2012
Media
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
Ozzie - alexandrine parakeet
Ozzie also loves salmon, but he doesn't get it very often. I buy either Tasmania or Atlantic salmon, and I get the ones that you can eat it raw. If I can eat it raw, I'm sure it is safe for Ozzie when it's fully cooked.

And remember, cooked salmon only for parrots! No matter how good the quality or freshness, never feed raw!

I don't feed coconut oil, but Ozzie does get coconut water. I buy the natural ones with zero fat and no preservatives. I normally use this as a frozen treats on hot days.

I buy this brand, it's 100% coconut water (the coconuts are from Thailand)

image_zps7f1ff491.jpg

Last edited:

Birdlover11

Aug 23, 2012
Long island
Parrots
Pepsi and sprite, both are American male budgies
I don't feed fish or coconut oil but I do feed exotic safe fruit. Like star fruit, pomegrantite , mango. The more the variety the more vitamins he could get.

Annageckos

Jul 4, 2012
PA, USA
Parrots
Ziva - Pineapple Green Cheek Conure
I have given my GCC some salmon and she loves it. She only gets a little bit, either when I feed my fish or my cats/dogs get it. The fish cats and dogs get it raw, but I nuke it for Ziva. She also likes chicken, I give her a tiny bit once in a while. I do use coconut oil too for her, I mix a bit with her veggies, I use it too.

Most Reactions