Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
So yesterday I took delivery of a bunch of new parrot toys from one of the vendors here on the board. A hanging balsa toy, some foot toys, and a plastice puzzle thing. I took out one of Saltys toys that he has gotten board with, hung the balsa thingy in the same spot next to his main perch and put Salty in his cage. He took one look at the toy, one look at me, and I said 'Go on, its not gonna bite you' and he proceeded to start to rip the cork thingys out of it and in general to tear into it. He's like that with most every toy. He waits for me to tell him its OK, go ahead, and he rips into it. If Daddys tells him its OK, off he goes. Is that usual for amazons?
He is pretty fearless. Maybe too much?

Peppo

Nov 27, 2015
Parrots
Paco-Male Double Yellow Head Amazon
With Paco, I have to say it is ok and a good thing, rub it on my face, give it to my son,have him say it is ok and good and rub it on his face. Then it is ok to play with. I guess if the toy doesn't attack us then he feels it is safe for him. I am trying to teach him to say "I have issues..."

Christinenc2000

Oct 8, 2014
North Carolina
Parrots
Big Bird _ Blue & Gold Macaw
BB is scared of most anything that has not hung around his cage for at lease 24 hours. After that he assumes it will not bite him and its ok to play with

OP
wrench13

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
LOL, Salty has already destroyed 1 of the 3 balsa blocks the hanging toy came with. Its just tatters of wood now. Onto the second block of wood.

Took a funny video of him last night, trying to climb out o a plastic chain to reach a bell, which he never gets to, but his vocalizations are a hoot. He laughs like Salacious Crumb ( the little creature that attends Jabba the Hut in the first star Wars)
latest

and give a a funny kind of exclamation sound. I tell ya , its better n' watching the telly for laughs.
Now if I can just find a service to host these videos, that dont require one to register to see them.

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
Hey thanks and loads of fun to be had. Loved Salty's hoop swing, looks great fun.

Thanks also for the Dropbox suggestion!

OP
wrench13

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
That hoop/swing thingy is his favorite place to hang out, and is where he shares his meals with us at dinner time. What a great investment that was, as was the stainless bowl suspended under it , to catch the scraps and lil poopies. I think I spent a total of $20 on it.

OP
wrench13

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Man, he goes thru balsa wood like, like , like a chainsaw thru butter. Got to find a cheap source, cuz the prices at the hobby type stores is crazy high. Anyone know of a source for clean balsa?

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Fearlessness is a good trait in a bird IMO. Means they'll likely be a good candidate for going out and about and becoming socialized. It can also lead to naughtiness;)

Looks like Salty is a very confident little bird, well on his way to being a good pirate companion:D

Most Reactions