Same cage

Bluedawn

Oct 15, 2023
Parrots
Double yellow headed Amazons
Holly, approx. 50 yrs old and Corky, 15 yrs old
Hi,
I am new on here. Four months ago, I was given a 50 yr old DYHA. She is such a great bird. I had a cockatiel for 28 years that passes away last year and have really missed. So, when I got Holly, she filled a little of that empty space. I decided I would like another DYHA and found a 15 yr old. I was wondering if after they get to know each other they can be placed in the same cage? I have a large macaw cage that came with the 15 yr old.
Thank you,

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
With zero experience with one of the "Big Hot Three" in the Amazon World and having not lived though the Mating (Hormonal) Season you have guts! And, now to introduce another DYHA's, wow!!

All humor aside. Have both DYHA's DNA Sex Tested, like Yesterday!!

Regardless of what you may read on other Forums. There is no way to know whether they to will love each other, vastly dislike each other regardless of the sex of each. Regardless of sex they may just as well like each other's company more than yours. The combinations of a triangle relationship is huge.

Way to early to consider sharing a cage.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Is it possible that they can share a cage?
yes, it’s possible.
Will they ….. that is something that will take time and close observation.

First order of business is to read the sticky thread in the Amazon sub-forum on body language.

second keep the cages close together but not touching (we don’t want toe biting.

see how they interact when close to each other, watch their body language.
Look for aggressive body language (like the amazon line of death). Tail fanned out to max, wings spread and nape/head feathers fluffed up.
This would likely mean they aren’t going to be friends.

If it looks like they don’t hate each other you can try letting them out of cage at the same time.
Be ready to intervene if things go bad, even if you get bitten your first priority is to keep your birds safe.

You may have trouble with the cage.

Birds become very territorial over there cages and the 15 year old bird may be upset/unwilling to share a cage.

even if it all works out well as a last tip.
Be sure to have a food dish for each parrot you have per cage. The two thing my parrot couples fight over most is food and perching locations.

I have had 2 amazon couples both of whom I “put together “
my first was accidentally, Red Lored Amazon and an Orange wing amazon.
My second and current amazon couple “The Twins” Luna and Merlin.

OP
B

Bluedawn

Oct 15, 2023
Parrots
Is it possible that they can share a cage?
yes, it’s possible.
Will they ….. that is something that will take time and close observation.

First order of business is to read the sticky thread in the Amazon sub-forum on body language.

second keep the cages close together but not touching (we don’t want toe biting.

see how they interact when close to each other, watch their body language.
Look for aggressive body language (like the amazon line of death). Tail fanned out to max, wings spread and nape/head feathers fluffed up.
This would likely mean they aren’t going to be friends.

If it looks like they don’t hate each other you can try letting them out of cage at the same time.
Be ready to intervene if things go bad, even if you get bitten your first priority is to keep your birds safe.

You may have trouble with the cage.

Birds become very territorial over there cages and the 15 year old bird may be upset/unwilling to share a cage.

even if it all works out well as a last tip.
Be sure to have a food dish for each parrot you have per cage. The two thing my parrot couples fight over most is food and perching locations.

I have had 2 amazon couples both of whom I “put together “
my first was accidentally, Red Lored Amazon and an Orange wing amazon.
My second and current amazon couple “The Twins” Luna and Merlin.
Thank you, very informative. So far they have gotten along. No tail fanning or wing spreading. I did have them out yesterday and no problems. I will keep them separated at night until I am absolutely sure they will not be a problem with each other. They have such different personalities. Corky, 15yr old, is probably twice the size of Holly, 50yr old. Incredible birds!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Thank you, very informative. So far they have gotten along. No tail fanning or wing spreading. I did have them out yesterday and no problems. I will keep them separated at night until I am absolutely sure they will not be a problem with each other. They have such different personalities. Corky, 15yr old, is probably twice the size of Holly, 50yr old. Incredible birds!
Does the 15 year old have a trails or stripping of red lines on the Nape??
There is a sup-species of DYHA that can be larger the standard DYHA.

OP
B

Bluedawn

Oct 15, 2023
Parrots
There is a sup-species of DYHA that can be larger the standard

There is a sup-species of DYHA that can be larger the standard DYHA.
No, I don't see any red lines.

OP
B

Bluedawn

Oct 15, 2023
Parrots
Figured out that Corky is a Magna Double yellow head Amazon, which are same bird just larger.

OP
B

Bluedawn

Oct 15, 2023
Parrots
He is still meaner than the devil, but I keep trying. If I don't watch him, his favorite thing to do is jump on top of my head...

OP
B

Bluedawn

Oct 15, 2023
Parrots
I have some paperwork that I didn't realize says Magna double yellow headed Amazon parrot. Then I started researching. They have all the same markings, just a lot bigger. I haven't weighted him but when he steps up on the stick, he is considerably heavier than Holly and larger. I can't get the pictures to upload correctly for some reason?

smwboxer

May 31, 2020
San Juan Cosala, MX
Parrots
Mealy Amazon - George
Double Yellowhead - Fred
Maximilian's Pionus - Pancho
Blue Ringneck - Kramer
Military Macaw - Abulardo
Red-Lored Amazon - Lucy
My Mealy, Yellow-headed and Maximillian's Pionus all share the same cage to sleep at night. During the day they are all free on the back patio.

Most Reactions

Latest posts