My sad little pip

Zulucypip

Aug 9, 2023
Parrots
Dusky conure
Can anyone help? My 22 year old dusky conure, Pip, recently lost her lifelong cagemate,Fay, a 28 yr old sun conure, who passed away over a month ago. pip was present when Fay died in our arms. Pip attempted to wake fay up by preening her several times, unbelievably sad for all of us! Now Pip is alone in her cage and becoming MORE depressed despite all the attempted advice here. It's been 6 weeks,and now she won't come out of her cage. Should we try another bird?

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
Hi there, I’m very sorry to hear about Fay. It’s really hard to lose a life long friend.

I had a Jenday conure for 10 years by herself. After that I got a sun conure. My Jenday has really perked up. When I have one out the other is contact calling. When I go out of town I don’t feel as bad because I know Kiwi isn’t just sitting by herself. I don’t regret getting a second conure.

You already have conures so you know they aren’t always quiet. So you more then likely wouldn’t be bothered by the noise/screams.

I will mention the introduction of my conures didn’t go well. My sun was aggressive towards my Jenday. It took some time to get the 2 to where they weren’t bickering.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Can anyone help? My 22 year old dusky conure, Pip, recently lost her lifelong cagemate,Fay, a 28 yr old sun conure, who passed away over a month ago. pip was present when Fay died in our arms. Pip attempted to wake fay up by preening her several times, unbelievably sad for all of us! Now Pip is alone in her cage and becoming MORE depressed despite all the attempted advice here. It's been 6 weeks,and now she won't come out of her cage. Should we try another bird?
Welcome to the forums, @Zulucypip, though I am so very sorry for your loss of Fay. Undoubtedly Pip is grieving, and sadly it's impossible to know for sure whether the addition of a new bird will help her or not. In my experience the one who is left behind generally gets on pretty well with a new bird, but there's always a chance they won't like each other. I have had that scenario in my flock, fortunately it has only happened once but it's doubly heartbreaking for all concerned when it doesn't work out. If you feel in your heart that YOU are ready for another bird, and are prepared for what may ensue if they don't like each other then it's a chance worth taking in my opinion. There are no guarantees of course but parrots are flock creatures after all and it does sound like Pip might just benefit from having another bird around.

Once again, my very deepest condolences for your loss, and I wish you the very best of luck if you do decide to go for it 🙏 🙏 🙏

Last edited:

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Hi there, I’m very sorry to hear about Fay. It’s really hard to lose a life long friend.

I had a Jenday conure for 10 years by herself. After that I got a sun conure. My Jenday has really perked up. When I have one out the other is contact calling. When I go out of town I don’t feel as bad because I know Kiwi isn’t just sitting by herself. I don’t regret getting a second conure.

You already have conures so you know they aren’t always quiet. So you more then likely wouldn’t be bothered by the noise/screams.

I will mention the introduction of my conures didn’t go well. My sun was aggressive towards my Jenday. It took some time to get the 2 to where they weren’t bickering.
It really does make going away for a few days so much easier for me psychologically knowing that my budgies aren't all alone.

Most Reactions