Sammy's welfare

1oldparroter

Nov 4, 2019
Waiteville, WV
Parrots
I am 71, married and fairly private. I have PM privileges but prefer the phone. Printed messages, are so limited. jh
I live in West Virginia USA or I would take Sammy. Sure can't afford to drive or shipping. I suppose you have run ads in the surrounding towns? jh

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Unfortunately, the debt is indelibly tied to the house. Here, our debt laws favor only the banks. Almost nothing is deductible from income tax anymore, and our tax load here is over 50% of every dollar earned. Our mortgages are not deductible, and even our "free" healthcare is not only expensive....it's mandatory by law, & and the same time considered by government as a "taxable benefit", so the fees we pay are also heavily taxed.

For me, unless I win a lottery, the die is cast. Nonetheless, I will survive, one way or another.

It's Sammy whose welfare I weep over. My heart aches over what he's becoming without a meaningful "parront" in his life. Worse, I swore an oath to provide a wonderful life to him. Although by circumstances beyond my control, I have still failed to keep my promise to him, something I never thought I was capable of. I am saddened and ashamed, and I have to find a way to provide him a good life.

Sorry to know the tax and debt system is terribly burdensome.

Have you considered temporary or short-term medication of Sammy with psychotropic meds? Before discounting as ridiculous, allow me to share the story of T-Bird, my female macaw.

T-Bird required surgery for prolapsed vent. She was moderately tame but despised post surgical care of meds and bandage. CAV suggested short term use of Haloperidol (Haldol) as mood enhancer. Worked like a charm, and I was able to care for and cuddle her, kiss on the beak, etc. I vowed to discontinue when healed as unnecessary intervention seemed unethical. There was indeed a halo effect of increased tolerance weeks and months later. In Sammy's case, the need for adjustment is extreme. Might be worth a try balancing risks/rewards.

Shine

Nov 3, 2016
Northern Nevada
Parrots
Fidget - BFA, Addy - Red Lored
Hi, I've followed your story with Sammy since I found this website a few years ago. I was so hoping that things would improve with him. I remember you posting about things going on and all the things you tried with him and the ups and downs. I can feel your heartbreak with having to make this decision and I'm so sorry that it's come to this.

Its obvious that you are putting him and his happiness first even if it's horrible for you. You are a great parront!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
mh434

mh434

Oct 28, 2014
BC, Canada
Parrots
Yellow-naped Amazon "Sammy"
Love birds (4)
Green-cheeked Conure "Skittles" - now, sadly gone from my life
Blue-Crowned Conure "Tequila"
African Grey "Reno" - sadly, now gone from my life
Sammy has been re-homed with a young, parrot-experienced couple.

It is clear that, as painful as it was for me to do, it was the right thing for Sammy. The couple told me that on their way home from my place, Sammy was sitting on their shoulders (in the car!), chattering away happily, and just being his old self.

It breaks my heart, and I will always deeply regret my failure, but I must remember that it's Sammy's welfare that matters. I have broad shoulders, and I'll learn to live with the hurt, but Sammy needs to be happy. At this point, it seems like he is....

My thanks to all those over the years that gave me advice & did everything possible to help. Sometimes, it seems, the difficult decision is the only one & the best one, in the end. The past couple of weeks since he left have been very, very hard.

That wasn't the end of my heartache, of course - for the same reasons I also had to re-home my blue-front Conure Tequila as well. I thought I'd be okay with it, after grieving for Sammy. I helped the new family load him, his cage, his toys, etc. in their car, and wished him and them well.

But, as they drove away down my driveway, I heard him ring his bell. He loves that bell - he even loves to stand up under it & wear it like a hat, and he rings it joyfully, whenever he feels like it. I've gotten so used to the sound of his bell that it had become part of my life, my background. Now, I realized, I had just heard his bell for the very last time, and it felt like a part of my heart just fell away. I'm a big strong man, and I've seen & experienced horrific things in my life (I'm currently in my 41st consecutive year of law enforcement), yet the sound of Tequila's little bell tore me apart. I have to admit, I stood there in the driveway, all alone (moreso than ever before in my life) and broke down sobbing. The tears still come when I hear a bird bell ring and the memory of him going away, out of my life forever, remains seared into my brain.

The problem with loving them is that, one day, it must end, and your life will be changed forever when it does.

It's incredible how important they become, and how much their departure hurts.

Last edited:

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
I am so sorry that you have had to go through this---so painful. You love your birds and you did what you knew was best, and that is a decision that is VERY hard to make (even for the most objective thinkers). You tried and that matters. Sorry, again....Thank you for caring and putting them first.

Most Reactions

Latest posts