Scam or not????

SharonC

May 26, 2010
My daughter has advertised her Mazda for sale...she just bought a Mini Cooper. She got this email which is rather unusual...Does anyone smell scam? She intends to ask further questions to the potential buyer, but it smells funny!

> Thanks for the swift response, just to let you know that am okay with the condition and price of the item, am ready for its purchase and my form of payment will be by PayPal.I would have really love to come for the viewing but due to my work frame that might not be possible as am on work inspection to Mexico at the moment and I do not have access to a phone,but if you have more pictures, might want to have a good look.
>
> I'll be responsible for the pick-up and the pick up money will be included in your payment to avoid delay and to enable pick up company to schedule an appropriate time for the pick-up at your location after funds has been received as i have other properties to be moved alongside with yours.
> All i will need is your PayPal email address to make the payment and then I will make arrangement for pick up.I will be expecting your
>
> email

wildheart

Banned
Banned
Mar 16, 2010
South Africa
It sounds very African to me.:( We have learned here in SA that if you even have a 1/2 % of doubt then believe that it is a scam.

OP
SharonC

SharonC

May 26, 2010
It does seems odd...although he's referred to payment being made via Paypal before car is picked up...

nofearengineer

Sep 8, 2010
Parrots
Gandalf - CAG (1997-2010) R.I.P. my baby boy.
Bitty - CAG (2 yrs old? and working on spoiling her rotten)
The whole "no access to a phone" thing is a bit off. Especially as the scammer sent an e-mail. Let's be real here...most people, myself included, won't buy a stick of gum sight unseen, much less a used car. I would bet my last dollar the second the car is gone, the Paypal gets disputed and refunded.

wildheart

Banned
Banned
Mar 16, 2010
South Africa
We have come to a point of only taking cash and NOTHING else. Even money transferred in bank accounts get reversed, plus when they have your bank details they steal all the money in your account. They only need an account number, nothing else.:( (Even the cash gets checked because there are usually false notes in between)

wildheart

Banned
Banned
Mar 16, 2010
South Africa
Sorry for sounding negative, it is our normal way of life in SA - TRUST NOTHING AND NOBODY.

How does this paypal e-mail work?

OP
SharonC

SharonC

May 26, 2010
Thanks, nofearengineer...I'm with you. Sight unseen is weird.

Wildheart, money gets transferred into your Paypal account. Paypal here is relatively safe, and as good as cash. (???) I've used it to pay for online orders...

JawzX

Aug 22, 2010
Media
Vermont
Parrots
8 year-old second-hand Alexandrine Parakeet Buddy (aka Baby, aka Ms. Prissy Beak)
sharon, Paypal is so highly geared to protecting the buyer that it easily screws the seller, even on large items.

All the buyer has to do is file a complaint or claim the item was never received and you can end up in a legal battle that lasts years with paypal's lawyers defending the "buyer". I worked for a camera store that accepted paypal for online purchases and we got screwed so many times and wasted so much time refuting buyer claims of non-receipt that we eventually stopped accepting paypal except for used items, which have a much higher margin.

Buy using paypal with confidence, accept payment via paypal with caution. (and yes, this sounds like a scheme)

nofearengineer

Sep 8, 2010
Parrots
Gandalf - CAG (1997-2010) R.I.P. my baby boy.
Bitty - CAG (2 yrs old? and working on spoiling her rotten)
Perfect Paypal explanation, Jawz!

Marnie

May 4, 2010
Williamsport, PA
Parrots
Indian Ringneck Parrot;
had
a Senegal &
2 love birds
it is absolutely a SCAM! i got one like this myself when i was trying to sell a vehicle.
the biggest giveaway is " and the price of the item"
when they don't even mention what it is they are buying, thats a dead give away.
tell them to go fly a kite!

OP
SharonC

SharonC

May 26, 2010
Thanks all...
She didn't like the sound of it, which is why she emailed it to me, and why I posted here. Thanks again!

Most Reactions