Scary Scary day !!!

nicolino

Sep 9, 2015
S.Florida
Parrots
Scarlet Macaw
Double Yellow Head Amazon
First I would like to say , yesterday was a coldest night of the year in South Florida with temps coming down to 40-45 F. I decided to bring my DYH Chichi and Scarlet indoors for the night. Morning went as usual , my wife and daughter left the house earlier and after my morning routine ( food , fresh water and some veggies ) Im ready for work. On my way out of the door my Scarlet sudenly started acting weird , screaming, shaking the whole cage , standing on the perch next to her water bowl and splashing water all over . It was not like anything I have seen before . This bird was really acting strange. Her screaming was different , She was really acting out. I come back , tried to comfort her offered treat but the bird was going crazy. I was watching in disbelief not knowing what to do , what to think. Was she having a seizure of some kind or what. Im scared worried , what happened what did I do my mind racing back and forth thinking what could be wrong with her,what to do ----and then I smell it !!! Something was burning .It was not strong but there was definitely something burning. After a short investigation I discovered a towel which I thrown over a previously used heater has ignited and started to burn. Im still having a goose bumps writing this . After I got thinks under control,Scarlet went back to normal , calmed down and play with her toys like nothing happened. Went off to work but came back several times throughout the day to check on her and the house. I do not even want to think what could have happened if I left the house for work, without paying attention to my crazy acting bird. It was her way of warning me something was wrong. Thank You Scarlet !!!

Last edited:

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
:11: YOWSER! What a HUGE scare!!!

I am SO happy to hear this had a happy ending!! Please give your Scarlet head scritches from me. What a good girl for letting you know!!! :)

I can only imagine how your heart had to have been racing! Whew!!!

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Gotta pay attention to stuff like that.

They know when something isn't right...

It could even save your life (and/or theirs!)

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Super scary event to start your day! I'm so glad you know your bird well enough to have understood you needed to stop and fix the problem. Birds are incredible beings. I'm happy things turned out well.

Crazy

Dec 25, 2013
Central Florida
Parrots
Buddy ❤️ - Cinnamon Cockatiel (1 y.o)
Sol - Budgie 😋 (17 y.o)
R.I.P. Luna 2002 - 2012 (Budgie) 💖💕
That's scary!!! :11: I'm glad everything is okay!!!

Most Reactions