OP
Anansi

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
What a lovely pic Stephen :). I'm so glad he didn't poop on your wife's head!

Hahahaha! Yeah, that might not have gone over so well. He's pretty good about his poop placement. (Except for that one time. But he literally did it right after I posted about his perfect record, here. Wicked sense of humor, that one!)

OP
Anansi

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
OMG, what a BEAUTIFUL photo of 2 VERY beautiful individuals!!! :D LOVING it!! :smile015:

Haha! Both quite beautiful, indeed. I just knew I had to post it.

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buddy - Red Crowned Amazon (27 yo)
Venus - Solomon Island Eclectus (4 yo)
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Sam - Cockatiel 1997 - 2004
Tweety - Budgie 1984 - 1987
Sweety - Budgie 1985 - 1986
What a great photo. What is it about heads that make them great perches, lol.

OP
Anansi

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
I just chalk it up to that wicked sense of humor. After all, short as I cut my hair, it's not exactly easy footing. Lol!

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
WOW! I love all the fabulous photos in this thread!

Doc, you have to frame that pic of Aida and Jolly! Beautiful models!

Only one of my birds demands to perch on my head and it isn't my Too. Thankfully, the little miscreant is potty trained, but there is that 1% chance of potty failure, haha Doc, clever wording, there.

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
Snapped a pic of Jolly in his second favorite roosting spot! (My wife's head!) Hahaha!
2015-04-17%2008.55.26_zpssyjkhkko.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Your wife and bird are gorgeous!

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
WOW, what a fantastic picture of your beautiful wife and Jolly:) She is simply movie star gorgeous, HT!

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
What I want to know is, where DID the poop go? On the floor? Down your neck?

The Beaks are OK as far as that goes. They seem to have a particular spot on their playgym where they like to drop their little grenades, so it's easy enough to place paper strategically beneath them. Dommie, on the other hand, always chooses his spot to be as inconvenient as he can possibly make it. I've had lovely warm green poo dropped down the side of my head so it runs down the back of my ear and drips off the arm of my glasses. I've had them released directly over the part of my head from which my plait falls so that I have to go immediately and wash my considerable head of hair free of bird-pat.

The other thing about Dommie's poo is that it's musical. Every time he goes, he sort of shimmies his behind a bit, fans his tail, squats a bit and lets fly. As the grenade deploys, it's goes 'squink' as it exits the bomb-bay and then 'splang' as it hits the floor. I find myself totally bemused by this. I was in the middle of a conversation the other day when I shushed the friend to whom I was speaking so we could hear the sound of Dommie's mission. She was amazed as well. If anyone can tell me why it is that a bird should do noisy, musical poos, I'd love to know!

The other thing, Stephen, is that I don't know how you can stand to allow a bird on your head with your hair cropped so short. Doesn't it hurt? Matt is bald (shaves) and he winds up with red scratches if he forgets to put a beanie on. LOL! I must say, I do enjoy watching the Beaks slipping and sliding about on Matt's head, though. :D

What's not very funny is when they get their little feetsies tangled in my hair. Now, that's a worry, especially when they take fright and try to fly off. Of course, they halt abruptly and then try to grab the nearest thing, which is usually my dainty little nose. :22_yikes:

OP
Anansi

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
WOW! I love all the fabulous photos in this thread!

Doc, you have to frame that pic of Aida and Jolly! Beautiful models!

Only one of my birds demands to perch on my head and it isn't my Too. Thankfully, the little miscreant is potty trained, but there is that 1% chance of potty failure, haha Doc, clever wording, there.

You know what, Huckleberry? I think I will frame that pic! Slap it up on one of my walls!

Hahahahaha! Poppy's a big girl. Be glad she's not the one who likes to hang out on your head! Especially if her potty training percentage proved to be anything under 100%! :eek: (That 1% can be a killer! Hahaha!)

Snapped a pic of Jolly in his second favorite roosting spot! (My wife's head!) Hahaha!
2015-04-17%2008.55.26_zpssyjkhkko.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Your wife and bird are gorgeous!

Awww, many thanks on their behalf, K1!

WOW, what a fantastic picture of your beautiful wife and Jolly:) She is simply movie star gorgeous, HT!

So I keep telling her, but she has yet to credit such compliments. Lol! Jolly, on the other hand, is not at all shy about letting me know how good a boy he is! Not so big on the modesty, that one. :rolleyes:

OP
Anansi

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
What I want to know is, where DID the poop go? On the floor? Down your neck?

The Beaks are OK as far as that goes. They seem to have a particular spot on their playgym where they like to drop their little grenades, so it's easy enough to place paper strategically beneath them. Dommie, on the other hand, always chooses his spot to be as inconvenient as he can possibly make it. I've had lovely warm green poo dropped down the side of my head so it runs down the back of my ear and drips off the arm of my glasses. I've had them released directly over the part of my head from which my plait falls so that I have to go immediately and wash my considerable head of hair free of bird-pat.

The other thing about Dommie's poo is that it's musical. Every time he goes, he sort of shimmies his behind a bit, fans his tail, squats a bit and lets fly. As the grenade deploys, it's goes 'squink' as it exits the bomb-bay and then 'splang' as it hits the floor. I find myself totally bemused by this. I was in the middle of a conversation the other day when I shushed the friend to whom I was speaking so we could hear the sound of Dommie's mission. She was amazed as well. If anyone can tell me why it is that a bird should do noisy, musical poos, I'd love to know!

The other thing, Stephen, is that I don't know how you can stand to allow a bird on your head with your hair cropped so short. Doesn't it hurt? Matt is bald (shaves) and he winds up with red scratches if he forgets to put a beanie on. LOL! I must say, I do enjoy watching the Beaks slipping and sliding about on Matt's head, though. :D

What's not very funny is when they get their little feetsies tangled in my hair. Now, that's a worry, especially when they take fright and try to fly off. Of course, they halt abruptly and then try to grab the nearest thing, which is usually my dainty little nose. :22_yikes:

Hahahaha! No, Jolly still maintains a perfect record while head roosting. Thankfully. Knock on wood! But after I'd finished bragging about how perfectly potty-trained he was on this thread, I put aside the laptop and had him on my left hand (which, in turn, was resting against my abdomen) while reclined on the couch and watching a particularly riveting episode of SVU. All the while, I was absently petting him, and he was rather contentedly beak grinding away. Guess he was feeling content enough that it seemed too much of a bother to fly over to his usual spot on the tree stand, so he released a little stealth bomb right on my shirt. I was alerted by the sudden warmth I felt on my stomach. :rolleyes: Thanks, Jay.

ROTFL @ Dommie's inconvenient poop placement and musical delivery! Quite the visual... AND audio! And that must be all kinds of rough on you when he nails your hair. I've seen the impressive length of your hair, my friend. Enough to give even Rapunzel a run for her money! Wow!

As for whether Jolly perching on my head actually hurts? Not at all. The pedi-perch keeps his nails pretty much blunt, and his landings are so controlled that I don't get nailed there, either. Even when he loses his footing and starts to scrabble about seeking purchase, there's still no discomfort... well, save for the fact that something is on top of my head flailing frantically about for a foothold, of course, but no pain.

I can imagine the Beaks getting caught in your hair. Same thing happens to Aida on occasion with Jolly and Maya both. Quite entertaining, actually. :D

OP
Anansi

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Okay, so remember me posting about teaching Jolly to fly up the stairwell the other day? And how he was a bit apprehensive at first, but eventually did it?

Well...

Today I left him on one of the tree stands and went upstairs to my room to get something. While I was up there, I heard the now VERRRY familiar sound of Jolly's strong and rapid wing beats from downstairs... along with the also familiar rustle of flying newspaper as the gale generated by his swiftly flapping wings sent the tree stand's lining flying across the living room. (We've actually taken to nicknaming him Barry Allen, after the civilian name for the Flash, as the effects of his blurred movements are much the same. Lol!)

I thought nothing of it, until I noticed the sound was getting rapidly louder. I'd just begun to turn when Jolly landed lightly on my shoulder and made a loud kissing noise in my ear. (Ouch. Sweet, but ouch.) I was so impressed! He couldn't see where I'd gone after going up the stairs, but he flew up, streaked down the length of the hallway, reasoned that I'd gone into my bedroom and followed me right in!

Just had to share.

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buddy - Red Crowned Amazon (27 yo)
Venus - Solomon Island Eclectus (4 yo)
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Sam - Cockatiel 1997 - 2004
Tweety - Budgie 1984 - 1987
Sweety - Budgie 1985 - 1986
He's not let you leave him behind lol! I love that he has a deafening kid, lol. Great job Jolly!

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
WooHoo, way to go, Jolly! I'm glad you felt the need to share, Doc! What an awesome eclectus.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Go Jolly :D! It's always exciting when they do stuff like that, and for the first time!

OP
Anansi

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Thanks, everyone! I knew you would all appreciate, and even share in, my excitement. I just so enjoy watching our resident speedster streak through the house with the full confidence of familiarity.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Thanks, everyone! I knew you would all appreciate, and even share in, my excitement. I just so enjoy watching our resident speedster streak through the house with the full confidence of familiarity.

Now I'm gonna bug you! :54: Do you think it would be remotely possible for you to record Jolly flying once...or twice...or more? :D I'd love to see it. :smile015:

Most Reactions