Scratch marks on beak

Billdore

Nov 12, 2016
Vermont
Parrots
African Grey Timneh
Sorry it's me again. So Timneh seems to have been scratching her beak a lot on the sand perch while i was gone today. Seems like its a bit itchy around where teh skin and beak meet. No funny smells or anything. All seems well physically but a lot of scratches on the beak when i got home from work. With the temperature dropping my humidity is also. Could this just be a dry skin thing? Timneh does not love water and baths probably 2 times a week in the water dish instead of the designated awesome ceramic bathing dish. Trying to work on getting in teh shower and kitchen sink, also misting. We are getting there but i don't think theres enough moisture. We stood in the bathroom this am with the water running for a nice steam bath. Humidifier will be coming soon. Thanks for all the help.

jdlehman76

Apr 20, 2016
Lexington, OH
Parrots
Bella - Congo African Grey
My CAG, Bella, likes to rub/scratch her beak on various things. She often does this after eating, I have always assumed it was part of her preening and cleaning process. She will also gently rub it against my hand when she feels I'm not paying enough attention to her. My guess is that the abrasive perch is just causing it to be more visible.

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
Sorry it's me again.
Hey, you are only at 88 posts! I am sitting at 4100!
You have some catching up to do before reaching my level of annoyance!

Wanted to add, most parrots love a beak massage! My JoJo won't allow neck scretches, but becomes a zombie when I massage his beak!

Last edited:

Jerseyjeff62

Sep 11, 2015
New Jersey
Parrots
parakeet 20yrs(RIP PETEY),Gracie a TAG
Yea never be sorry for asking a question. This forum is all about questions.maybe change out the sand perch to stop the visual scratches?

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Sorry it's me again. So Timneh seems to have been scratching her beak a lot on the sand perch while i was gone today. Seems like its a bit itchy around where teh skin and beak meet. No funny smells or anything. All seems well physically but a lot of scratches on the beak when i got home from work. With the temperature dropping my humidity is also. Could this just be a dry skin thing? Timneh does not love water and baths probably 2 times a week in the water dish instead of the designated awesome ceramic bathing dish. Trying to work on getting in teh shower and kitchen sink, also misting. We are getting there but i don't think theres enough moisture. We stood in the bathroom this am with the water running for a nice steam bath. Humidifier will be coming soon. Thanks for all the help.

Yea never be sorry for asking a question. This forum is all about questions.maybe change out the sand perch to stop the visual scratches?

For every question there is an answer. Or two. Or an entire thread!! :)

OP
Billdore

Billdore

Nov 12, 2016
Vermont
Parrots
African Grey Timneh
Just seems a little extra dry all of a sudden. It's finally gotten to vermont temps of cold and my humidity has dropped 15% in my house. Hoping a humidifier will help. Timn h does climb around the cage a lot.

Last edited:

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
The Rickeybird beaks his perches (wooden, concrete, and texture) during and after eating, and sometimes when just excited or mad. What a sound it makes. I assume he's doing it to clean and shape (and sharpen?) his beak AND sometimes to release some emotion or energy.

Most Reactions