Screaming every 10 seconds

Ravoz

Jan 30, 2016
Hey everyone,

I have a BG Macaw born on 1 Feb 2016. My previous birds have mostly been Eclectus. Although I had two stolen and a third flew when spooked by a dog.

Presently the BG Macaw is the only family ownend pet.

Over the last two or so weeks he has commenced screaming every 10 seconds whenever I am home. I would say it is closer to sqwaking lol. He will literally sit in the one spot and non-stop.

I find the only solution is when I leave to go to work and sneak back in, he would be quite or if I go upstairs to sleep.

I had a spare second cage, which I have now used as a sleep cage. I thought he could be tired/exhausted as his primary cage is in the living room.. Ive been putting him inside his sleep cage at about 7:30pm - but still the same outcome.

His cage has various toys, but he appears uninterested.

He was syringe fed 5 times a day, over the last 2-4 weeks the number of feeds have decreased, as I have begun feeding him fresh fruits, Veg and nuts. I am still hand feeding him twice a day - once as soon as I wake up and the other when I return from work. I could fit a third before I go to bed if needed.

The noise is constant. He doesnt stop and I have tried a few things. I spend a lot of time with him and I have him flying around whenever he likes. He just sits in the one spot screaming.

Anything I need to be doing or changing?

When I do hand feed him he takes 120cc per feed. I stop, although he seems to get annoyed and lets out a loud scream for me to return with the food. I feel like he might not be ready to begining weaning...but then I watch him destroy his fresh foods lol.

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
My through exactly, not fully weaned and screaming for formula.

Most Reactions