SCREAMING question

HumanWings

Jan 18, 2012
mid-western USA
Parrots
I am currently parrotless but hope to be owned by a parrot in the next few months. :-)
What's it like to live with a screaming macaw? How often do they scream? Why do they scream? How loud is a macaw scream? Are macaws that talk less likely to scream? Is a screaming macaw a behavioral issue or is it a normal everyday thing?

I want to go into this knowing what to expect.

I will appreciate any comments I get thanks. :)

Safira

Sep 27, 2011
Aberdeen, Md
Parrots
Safira (B&G Macaw)~~ Gracie (CAG) ~ Lucy (CAG)
Go to youtube.com, look up screaming macaw. Put your volumn as loud as it can be.. that's probably only half as loud as a macaw in person.

Mare Miller

Banned
Banned
May 14, 2011
Media
sierra foothills of central California
Parrots
13yr. old male umbrella cockatoo,
we call him Amigo!

7yr. old Goffin cockatoo, she IS Sassy!!
I don't own a macaw and I've never had experience with one but do live with an umbrella cockatoo. Need to tell you, they scream for a reason.

I free flight my bird going on two years. When we first acquired him, Amigo, he tortured us to no end! We had no idea what was going on in his mind. He lived with us in our home for 2yrs. before we decided to try a new method, being free flight.

I now know that birds scream out of frustration. They also scream when there is a threat in their territory. They scream when it's getting close to bedtime and they are trying to clear their territory of predators. There are different types of screams, I prefer to call them yells. Amigo will yell when he hears a car coming into our property. He will yell at red-tail hawks to warn them that he sees them and he has his alarm sound, the ravens in the area will perk up at this one.

Now knowing Amigo's different yells allows me to speak from knowledge. His screams in the house were not the same as his outside yells. His screams in the house were based on frustration. Oh, I need to add,,,Amigo doesn't yell often.

Last edited:

rsaskey

Feb 1, 2012
Parrots
Blue & Gold - Echo
I have a 6 month old blue & Gold. She screams when my kids get loud, when we yell at the kids, and every now and then just to do it.

OP
HumanWings

HumanWings

Jan 18, 2012
mid-western USA
Parrots
I am currently parrotless but hope to be owned by a parrot in the next few months. :-)
Go to youtube.com, look up screaming macaw. Put your volumn as loud as it can be.. that's probably only half as loud as a macaw in person.

Are you sure about this? I have high quality speakers on my computer. It can get louder than what is typical.

I am not trying to be sarcastic. I am seriously asking as I have never heard a macaw scream in person. I know they can be loud but they are so little. Can they really be THAT loud????

Safira

Sep 27, 2011
Aberdeen, Md
Parrots
Safira (B&G Macaw)~~ Gracie (CAG) ~ Lucy (CAG)
My macaw screams when I'm having a conversation..or when she has a nightmare. I have known a few Macaws that scream in the morning, evning, and when they feel like it. Also when they are excited or scared.

OP
HumanWings

HumanWings

Jan 18, 2012
mid-western USA
Parrots
THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR THE RESPONSES!!!

I don't own a macaw and I've never had experience with one but do live with an umbrella cockatoo. Need to tell you, they scream for a reason.

I free flight my bird going on two years. When we first acquired him, Amigo, he tortured us to no end! We had no idea what was going on in his mind. He lived with us in our home for 2yrs. before we decided to try a new method, being free flight.

I now know that birds scream out of frustration. They also scream when there is a threat in their territory. They scream when it's getting close to bedtime and they are trying to clear their territory of predators. There are different types of screams, I prefer to call them yells. Amigo will yell when he hears a car coming into our property. He will yell at red-tail hawks to warn them that he sees them and he has his alarm sound, the ravens in the area will perk up at this one.

Now knowing Amigo's different yells allows me to speak from knowledge. His screams in the house were not the same as his outside yells. His screams in the house were based on frustration. Oh, I need to add,,,Amigo doesn't yell often.

Ok so does your cockatoo yell less in the house when you started free flighting him? I ask because I do want to freeflight all of the birds that I get.

QuackQuack

Oct 20, 2011
Midwest USA
Parrots
KITTY: Pineapple Green Cheek Conure (2 year old)
BODE: Nanday Conure (5 years old)
KIWI & BLUE: English Budgerigars (RIP after 10 years)
Even if you had a Kilpsche surround sound gaming center to play the macaw video with, I would still say they can be louder. People houses away from our bird sitter knew she had her blue and gold. He was a very well adjusted, happy boy but when he got excited it was deafening.

Mare Miller

Banned
Banned
May 14, 2011
Media
sierra foothills of central California
Parrots
13yr. old male umbrella cockatoo,
we call him Amigo!

7yr. old Goffin cockatoo, she IS Sassy!!
The only time Amigo yells in the house is when someone is driving in and the dogs start to bark, or, if he sees a very large bird, (his cage sits by a slider door), flying around outside his window.

He talks and communicates with us, loves attention, (not from my husband), and seems to be a very well adjusted cockatoo, as well as they can be, that is. I happen to be Amigo's biggest fan, (and probably only). I love you Amigo!

To answer your question, yes. Amigo definitely yells less in the house since we started free flight with him.

Last edited:

Most Reactions