sea shells?

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
are seashells safe for a parrot to play with?

went to Costa Rica a few weeks ago and brought back many seashells. I was on the floor of my room trying to sort them out and clean them and Lincoln was very adamant about getting one to the point where he was doing everything in his power to get to them. When I went to bring them downstairs he even climbed down from the cage and tried to follow me down which he rarely does. I really want to give him one but only after a thorough scrubbing of course. but is it safe?

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Once washed with Dawn and hot water or like product, heavily raised and dried in Sunlight - chemically they are safe. The only concern is if your Parrot begins to break them or they have shape edges. At that point the sharp edges are a problem. Clearly they can be sanded to remove the sharp edges.

Its a type of 'toy?' that should only be provide with your constant oversight.

OwnedByGeorge

Jun 7, 2017
Once washed with Dawn and hot water or like product, heavily raised and dried in Sunlight - chemically they are safe. The only concern is if your Parrot begins to break them or they have shape edges. At that point the sharp edges are a problem. Clearly they can be sanded to remove the sharp edges.

Its a type of 'toy?' that should only be provide with your constant oversight.

They need to be boiled as well

Most Reactions

Latest posts