OP
SassiBird

SassiBird

May 10, 2016
Media
Albums
Minnesota
Parrots
Black Capped Conure - Sassafras - 2015; GCC Rosalita - 2018; GCC Apple Blossom - 2018
Still no decision. Leaning toward "no". Trying to figure out how to do a proper in-home quarantine if I did. It's still too cold in MN to cut of HVAC to the QT room.

OP
SassiBird

SassiBird

May 10, 2016
Media
Albums
Minnesota
Parrots
Black Capped Conure - Sassafras - 2015; GCC Rosalita - 2018; GCC Apple Blossom - 2018
Ugh! He's still there! For sale. Waiting. For someone to give him/her a home.

If my husband leaves town for work I may not be able to stop myself. I did bring it up, but his response was "We don't need another one."
However...
Sassafras has been bugging us more and more to play, but we just can't play beaks and claws the way she wants. It has been getting harder and harder to get her to go in her cage when I leave for work. I think she needs more interaction, more companionship. BUT... last night for the first time she started getting territorial about my husband. She was cuddling by his face and was lashing out at his hands if they got too close. Uh-OH!

Last edited:

Jen5200

Mar 27, 2017
Media
Albums
Washington State
Parrots
Baby - Sun Conure;
Tango - GCC;
Bindi - Sun Conure;
Stanley - Pineapple GCC;
Screamer Ć¢ā‚¬Å“ScreeĆ¢ā‚¬ļæ½ - Cockatiel;
Tee - Pineapple GCC; Jimmy - Cockatiel
I was wondering where you were at on this decision! I donā€™t envy you knowing he/she is still available, Iā€™d probably be having the same internal struggle :)

DiscoDuck

Banned
Banned
Jun 9, 2012
Media
Wilmington DE - Landenberg PA
Parrots
Rudy - Hybrid Ruby Macaw Born 6/6/15 Scarlet Mother/Green Wing Father - Oliver BFA RIP 3/15/15 @ 34yo. Without you, I would not have Rudy. Thank you!
eek... if the store hasn't sold the bird yet. will they let you, uhhh.... care for him over a trial period? Sorta like "breaking the ice" so to speak.

I think everyone will likely win on this idea..

OP
SassiBird

SassiBird

May 10, 2016
Media
Albums
Minnesota
Parrots
eek... if the store hasn't sold the bird yet. will they let you, uhhh.... care for him over a trial period? Sorta like "breaking the ice" so to speak.

I think everyone will likely win on this idea..

Unlikely. A several weeks ago I offered to pay for a DNA gender test and told I would have to buy him first. Wha?

OP
SassiBird

SassiBird

May 10, 2016
Media
Albums
Minnesota
Parrots
Itzjbean, on another thread, has helped me realize that the only reason I'm considering this bird is because I feel sorry for it.

What I'm really looking for is a bird that will integrate into our family, have manners, and be a companion to our existing bird. Maybe that would happen with this bird in time, but we would have less risk if we found a reputable breeder and got a a young bird. It feels cold and heartless to say it, but...

I may still try to find a way to help the little guy, but the adoption is off.

Most Reactions