second realday back to work, feels bad

bigfellasdad

Sep 21, 2017
Media
NorthWest England
Parrots
Enzo - adopted Female CAG circa 2004. A truly amazing young lady!
Yesterday was my first full day back to the office, I worked from home over the xmas/new year break and last week worked from home too. Yesterday morning I got back into the normal working day routine... get dressed, get Enzo up, do the dishes with her on my shoulder chatting away and making all the banging glass and pot noises, drink tea/steam veggies before showering and finally getting Enzo into her cage for the day.

This morning I think she realised it was back to the normal and she was clearly not wanting me to leave her. She was constantly shouting 'bye' and 'tickle tickle' and cuddling into me at every opportunity. She held on to my hoody and would not let go when I tried to get her in the cage...... feels bad :(

Im going for a long weekend to Spain from Thursday so worried for Enzo. Ive asked her prior owner to look after her whilst im away so i know she will be looked after well and a friendly face...... they break your heart some times these little fids.

Last edited:

DRB

Jan 23, 2016
Ohio
Parrots
Perjo - Female CAG hatch Nov 2015
I've dreaded setting up vacation of more than a couple days due to the fact I'd have to send Perjo to the breeders for boarding. She's two now I'm thinking maybe another 8-12 mos of maturing and bonding before I send her away for a week or more.

Sometimes I'm bummed to leave her alone for 5-6 hours.

Kentuckienne

Supporting Vendor
Oct 9, 2016
Middle of nowhere (kentuckianna)
Parrots
Roommates include Gus, Blue and gold macaw rescue and Coco, secondhand amazon
Wrench13 swears by explaining to the fid that you are going out for a while, and when you will be back. I trick Gus by giving him a treat - two pistachios and a cashew nut - after he is in the cage and just before leaving the house. I hope he will begin to associate humans going out with getting a treat. He LOVES both of those. I give him the cashew, and drop the pistachios in his food bowl. He looks over immediately to see them, but keeps eating the cashew as fast as he can. I think it distracts him and makes him happy, to get him through the transition. I got the idea from friends who give their dachshund a piece of Greenie when they leave, and tell him to watch the house. That dog is so focussed on the Greenie that he pays no attention to them going. Do you think that would work with your little girl?

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
Yeah, they can break your heart sometimes. The Rb KNOWS when I'm getting ready to leave, even at unscheduled times, and flies to a high spot and just sits. Fortunately, he has no impulse control, and after a few moments of shaking and screaming and eye-pinning, he follows a green chile into the cage. When I get home, he paces back and forth in the cage so fast that sometimes he loses footing and flap-tumbles to the floor. 34 years old. Needs to grow up.

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
That's why I'm a dull dude...I never go anywhere (vactationwise at least)

It did bother me a lot though when I was truckin' and would be on the road all week. When it was Amy and Smokey here,I'd have my buddy Joe,who just lives down the street,come and feed them and ask him to stay an hour or so (watch tv with them). I'm lucky enough to the point where they both have no problems going back into their house's when asked to.

I also have my stereo set on a timer,where it would come on around 7am and turn off around 9pm,so there is at least some noise for them.

Smokes would give me the hairy eyeball for a couple hours,or at least until I showed her a chicken leg bone ( her most fav treat in the world)

But it still sucked leaving them so long :eek:

Jim

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
Bumble is also having difficulty adjusting to the real life schedule. Being fortunate enough to take her with my on vacation was great, but she got used to being with me all day long (or close to it). She’s mad at me when I come home from work, even though I tell her every day where I’m going, when I’ll be home, the evening plans just as always. Hopefully she’ll settle back in soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Yeah, they get used to you being there, on long weekends or holidays. I just came off a 5 day long weekend, and Salty was like WHA??? when it was Geri and not me who opened the cage Monday morning. He usually a bit miffed Monday evening when I get home, but he is over it soon enough.

And yup, I swear by telling your parrots when you will be away for a vacation or business trip. Tell them several times, more as the date gets closer.

OP
B

bigfellasdad

Sep 21, 2017
Media
NorthWest England
Parrots
Thanks for all of the tips guys, much appreciated :) Ill give them a try out, particuarly like the timer for music, ill see if i can do that on my sonos.

DRB

Jan 23, 2016
Ohio
Parrots
Perjo - Female CAG hatch Nov 2015
I usually tell Perjo that I'm going bye bye soon, she knows what's up when I change clothes or put a jacket on. She reognizes my car by sight and I think by sound when I arrive home b/c she usually seems to be vocalizing something as I put the key into the door. I ALWAYS say HI or I'm Home when I enter and in the summer when the windows are open I always talk to her as I walk up the drive etc.

My one neighbor has to think I'm certifiable.

OP
B

bigfellasdad

Sep 21, 2017
Media
NorthWest England
Parrots
I got back from my small break to Spain last night, I wish we had made a video of Enzo's reaction when i got home. We went straight to the cage and let her out as usual, she flew to my shoulder and started the 'chicken dance', feathers all fluffed up, wings held out and low and she was stroking my beard with her foot. This time it was a little different, far more excited as she would flap her wings a little as well, so much so that she took off from my shoulder and landed on my head.... she has NEVER flown to my head before. I don't think any person has ever shown so much happiness to see me before.

Other than that amazing welcome, I believe Enzo has been flicking all of her seeds and veg out of the cage, she has clearly been grumpy whilst i was away. Putting on the Sonos during the day was a great success as well, I set an alarm starting at 8am for a 12hr duration, no snooze and to play a local radio station. I will use that again for sure, in fact I might just leave the alarm on all of the time for her.

Glad to be home, but missing the 10deg warmer climate and Mediterranean food and people already....

Tami2

Aug 18, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Levi - 6 yr old CAG

DOH-4/2/2016
Wrench13 swears by explaining to the fid that you are going out for a while, and when you will be back. I trick Gus by giving him a treat - two pistachios and a cashew nut - after he is in the cage and just before leaving the house. I hope he will begin to associate humans going out with getting a treat. He LOVES both of those. I give him the cashew, and drop the pistachios in his food bowl. He looks over immediately to see them, but keeps eating the cashew as fast as he can. I think it distracts him and makes him happy, to get him through the transition. I got the idea from friends who give their dachshund a piece of Greenie when they leave, and tell him to watch the house. That dog is so focussed on the Greenie that he pays no attention to them going. Do you think that would work with your little girl?

I do the same thing & I've done it from the beginning. I put a few pistashios in his foraging wheel before I leave the house. This way he doesn't mind going in his cage and is kept busy working for his 'Fave' treat.

We are also overdue for a vacation. We haven't gone anywhere where we couldn't take him. It's such a dilemma, considering leaving him with anyone else. :(

Most Reactions

Latest posts