Seed to pellet conversion & diet question

IRN_Mom

Aug 6, 2014
GB
Ok, I can't remember for the life of me where I read this, but I wanted to ask your opinion, since Deuce should be home Friday, I want to start to convert him off of the seed base as soon as possible. The breeder did say that he does like fruits and veggies as well, so he's not on a strictly seed diet, which I think will help with the conversion.

Anyways, it said for the first week to offer seed for 20 minutes each morning and evening, with pellets in the cage constantly. On week two, offer it for 15 minutes twice a day. Continue reducing it down 5 minutes each week until you get down to two 5 minute offerings for one week. Once that week is over, only offer seed for 5 minutes once a day for a week, and then discontinue the seed after that.

Obviously I have to make sure that he knows that the pellets are food first. I am also going to be feeding fresh foods as well (chop and whatever else I happen to have on hand that day), and I have some TOPS seed that I'm going to be sprouting for him.

Does this sound like an OK plan to get him on a better diet, or do you suggest something else a little less dramatic?

Phlox

Jun 16, 2014
Is there a reason you want no seed? Most birds do eat some in the wild...so I think its a fine part of the diet. I usually free feed pellets but only offer like a tablespoon of seeds, mixed with fresh or dried veggies and fruits.

OP
I

IRN_Mom

Aug 6, 2014
GB
Some is fine... but he is on mostly seed now with an occasional pellet and a veggie or two a day. I don't feel like he can get proper nutrition from that.

Phlox

Jun 16, 2014
My best advice is to find a company or a local store that you can buy sample size pellets to try and figure out which one your bird will eat. Then make sure they are always available. A lot of birds take to them pretty easy, at least larger ones. Little birds like budgies sometimes fight it since they eat so many seeds as their natural diet.

I like to have a little of everything for my fids.

OP
I

IRN_Mom

Aug 6, 2014
GB
How in the world did I manage to miss that one? Lol thanks!

Colorguarder08

Banned
Banned
Mar 8, 2010
Washington State
Parrots
Riley-white faced grey cockatiel (hatch date 6-28-2014) RIP Halloween-pied cockatiel
Riley weaned on to seeds and pellets but ate mostly seeds so since she didn't eat much the first day she was here I gave her some seeds on the second day but I also got this foragaing toy that is a cardboard box with a tiny hole in it (it has an acrylic holder) and I filled the toy up with seeds and so now if she wants seeds she knows she has to work to for them. I free feed pellets (although I don't fill up the food dish as she likes to sleep in it). But you can also get a brand of pellets that Deuce will like and slowly increase the seed to pellet ratio until there are no seeds in the mix or very little.

Most Reactions