seeds or pellets

ema22

Aug 8, 2013
uk
Parrots
African grey
Hello! I brought my african grey home 2 weeks ago (my first larger bird) and I've been feeding him on tropical bird seed mix and fresh fruit/veg twice a day. Is this correct or are pellets better for my bird???

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
For a African grey pellets are deffinitly better. Seed diets are terrible for the medium to large parrots and should only be given as treats. It can lead to organ failure, and arthritis in older age.

The best pellets are Harrison's and Totally organics, after that zupreem natural is ok(not the colored or nutblend zupreem).
You may have other good pellets made in the UK that I don't know of.

Last edited:
OP
ema22

ema22

Aug 8, 2013
uk
Parrots
African grey
Thanks copperarabian. I have read a lot online about keeping an African grey laterly but just assumed a "good diet" included fruit and veg. I didn't realise too many seed in his diet was harmful (although I was aware of too many sunflower seed). I started to notice that most parrot owners feed there feathered friends on pellets which is what made me ask. Thanks for your help and will start introducing pellets to his diet asap.

OP
ema22

ema22

Aug 8, 2013
uk
Parrots
African grey
Thank you jerseywendy an hello. I put my "new members" post up about a week ago but couldn't figure out how to put up a new tread post up (I think that's what it's called) so I put this post up the same way hoping for someone to see it and help me out.

I must also add that this site is great for information and seeing how others manage with certain predicaments. I've been on everyday to have a look. I'm 1 very happy member just need to learn how to put up posts.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Ema, if unsure, you can always ask a moderator. We are happy to help any way we can. :) And don't worry about posting in the wrong section, your thread can be moved.

Like THIS thread, I will move it into the African Grey section now...so watch this space. ;)

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
Thanks copperarabian. I have read a lot online about keeping an African grey laterly but just assumed a "good diet" included fruit and veg. I didn't realise too many seed in his diet was harmful (although I was aware of too many sunflower seed). I started to notice that most parrot owners feed there feathered friends on pellets which is what made me ask. Thanks for your help and will start introducing pellets to his diet asap.
Your welcome :)
Don't worry if it takes a while, birds can be very stubborn and picky. My galah was on a seed diet when I adopted her and it took 6 months until I could remove seed from her diet.

If he completely refuses a healthy pellet it's ok, try another type. The important thing is just getting him on pellets. Once he is eating pellets and no longer eating seed you can work on getting him on the best pellet available to you.

here is a past thread I made about pellets and their ingredients you may find helpful
http://www.parrotforums.com/general-parrot-information/28242-ingredients-pellets.html

Pajarita

Banned
Banned
Jul 11, 2013
I feed seeds to my Grays and they are super-healthy (one is 16 and the oher possibly around 12). It was the pellet manufacturers that put out the rumor that seeds are bad for birds (if they hadn't, they wouldn't have been able to sell their expensive product) and Harrison's (the first one to make them) locked the deal when they sold it to Avian vets who got a kickback for selling them (they recommended them and people believed them because nobody knew that Avian vets did not study avian nutrition in school).

Seeds and nuts are the source of protein for wild birds so it stands to reason that they couldn't be unhealthy for them. The trick is not to free-feed them (which you shouldn't do with pellets, either, anyway), to give them a lower protein mix than what the manufacturers recommend (I feed my grays a cockatiel mix with one human-grade toasted tree nut), measure it (my grays get 1/4 cup) and give it to them for dinner while feeding the 'health' food for breakfast.

OP
ema22

ema22

Aug 8, 2013
uk
Parrots
African grey
Thank you copperarabian!!! That link was a huge help as I'm new to buying pellets. I now know not to buy what ever my pet shop sells but to look around online to try the different ones I think are best so once again thanks :)

And to jerseywendy thank you also. It comforting to know there are people out there happy to help weather it's about my parrot or my terrible computer skills :) next time I will look through the "african grey" section when posting a question

Abigal7

Jun 17, 2012
United States of America/ Kansas
Parrots
Captain Jack (Hahn's macaw)

Clover (green cheek conure)
Variety is the key. Sun flower seeds are not good for birds. That said I feed my hahns macaw almonds, and cashews and he will get pine nuts when his beak is strong. Non colored pellets are something to be added to your birds diet. Fruits and veggies are good for your bird to eat. Seed mixes with dyed seeds are not good. MYsafebird store sells blends and sells nuts. Some people wash off honeydew seeds, set them on a towel and let them dry. They say their bird loves honey dew seeds.

Last edited:

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
I'm with Pajarita on this one as its the truth!!!! All pellets are is just more balanced nutrition that's less fattening that's all!

Most Reactions