Seeking some guidance--My hen just laid an egg!

jfish930

Dec 13, 2010
Hello all!

I am the proud owner of a 6 year old Eclectus who has laid an unfertilized (she is the only parrot we have) egg. She has been acting "matey" towards me for a couple of months, during which I have tried to distract by playing with her etc.

Anyway, this is the 2nd time. Last time she was only about 3 and a half years old. For some reason, I find this "egg-laying" thing upsetting. I know it's normal, but she cried a small amount when producing it and it seems so cruel to have her go through all this when I know darn well it's for nothing as the egg will bear no young.

Anyway, last time around she laid a couple of eggs and then laid on them for 28 days or so. This time (just this morning) she has laid one egg and hasn't touched it at all. She has absolutely no interest. I haven't touched the egg. I only put a section of newspaper underneath her (she was on her rope about 4 inches above the bottom grid of the cage) so that the egg wouldn't break when it hit the grid; so the egg is laying on the newspaper. Last time, both she and her eggs laid on the newspaper.

Lastly, my wife and I are going away for a week in about 4 days. She will be visiting an all bird pet store, where she usually is "star of the store". She is so sweet and loves people and never bites. The owner of the store says she is good for business, so he leaves her on a perch all day and people come in and pick her up. One customer in particular comes in specifically just to see her! My question is do I send the egg with her? What if she has another egg? The bird store guy is an expert and he knows what to do and he also insists that if anything ever goes wrong while I am away (which is only 2x a year) he will take her to an avian vet he uses and I will pay for it when I return--which I am fine with--but that is his rules--this has never happened as she is extremely healthy.

Any advice for this lovelorn and concerned parront?

Thanks all!

Sorry for ranting,

Jfish

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
No there's no need to send the egg with her. By her going there she's not going to incubate in a strange place. Even though that's where you drop her off when going on vacation but to her is a strange place. When you move a mated pair around even with cage and eggs, they will abandon them. So the day she goes in, dispose the egg/eggs.

OP
J

jfish930

Dec 13, 2010
Thanks Mike. I lot has happened today since I posted this. After a few hours she began to sit on the egg. When I came home a few hours later, the egg was broken and she was no longer sitting on it. She is still acting "matey" (swinging her head back and forth in front of my face with her tail up and at the same time talking to me and saying "whatca doin" over and over). Hopefully her behavior will get back to normal soon once her hormones settle down.

Most Reactions

Latest posts