senegal advice

333george

Dec 1, 2011
Firstly my apology's if this is in the wrong place.

I have a problem with my Senegal, a female who we have had for 7/8 years, we were told she was about 18 months old when buying, and I would like to get some advice because I am at a loss at her latest behavior.

When purchased, She bite me for about the first 5 years but the intensity gradually faded and over the last 18 months or so she began to dance and has allowed me to touch and stroke her feathers until recently getting on my hand. When I was stroking her I could stop take my hand out the cage and 10 minutes later return it again no problem but now she's on my hand and I take it out for a rest she just bites and attacks me. My wife or any female she's fine with.

We let her out regularly, I have the patience of a saint, she has a large cage (80cm x 80cm x 110cm tall) loads of toys.

any advice would be great, this is our first parrot.

Kind regards...........R.J.P...........................:green2:........and Mrs Genghis

suebee

Jan 13, 2011
don't put your hand into her cage, place a perch onto her door for her to step up from

also my sene is uber hormonal from end nov till end jan, where i avoid extra contact and she is caged more over this period, as she does do flying attacks

also where are you touching her, her back is a no no area! as they see this as sexual

the dancing may be a type of posturing or mating ritual, so don't encourage it

patiance is good :) but just reduce contact/interaction would be the best way forward

OP

333george

Dec 1, 2011
Thanks for your prompt reply
I began by putting up with the biting and would tease her feathers around the neck area and top of the head with my finger tips, then she allowed her belly and chest, she loved it. Recently have moved to stroking her back so coupled with the Nov/Jan input this might be the problem.

The posturing begins when she wants to get on my hand and stops when she's on. she walks only on to my palm and I just move her from perch to perch. My intentions were to eventually bring her out the cage.

We have moved her cage so she is near enough for us to touch her from the telly seat, she was there before and now she's back seems a happier bird, it was like moving her away from us so that might not have helped.

Just want a bird that we can handle so do I leave things until the end of Jan time and not stroking her back never ? also going to read much more but I can understand this most recent behavior.

Kind regards........RJP............:green2:

suebee

Jan 13, 2011
don't ever stroke down back, season or not

short head scritches, are fine if she is in the mood lol an please feel free to post pics :)

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Hormonal season.....It's happening here at my house too....lol Just Willie who is super aggressive right now, rest are ok....Good luck with yours....

suebee

Jan 13, 2011
think i'd rather have my little nut chasin me all grrr then your willie!!! but it'll all be over soon :)

Most Reactions