Senegal is a Garbage Disposal!

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
So Kane, my almost 6 month old male Senegal parrot eats everything. And I mean everything. At first I thought this was a good thing because I had no problem switching him to Zupreem natural from the fruit pellets he was weaned onto. He eats all his fresh veggies, fruits, whole grain everything, so he is very easy on that front. But he will eat anything and everything you're eating or that you leave out, and he does it quickly! He ate half a piece of pizza once in literally under 3 minutes once. I've learned not to get up and walk to the kitchen for anything while I'm eating because my plate will be half eaten when I get back, guaranteed.

I had a little get together and people brought food. I inherited a tray of really expensive, awesome cheese and then another cheap meat and cheese tray...Well I was snacking on them, watching a documentary, and my Shar Pei had to go out. Stupidly I got up to walk to the dining room and open the sliding glass door to let him out in the yard...Less than a minute. I came back to see Kane had flown from his T-Stand to the couch, had grabbed a huge piece of smoked Gouda (that was amazing), and a chunk of pepperoni. He had already swallowed them and had curled up in the sleeping bag I was snuggled up in...He's full now and I guess wants to curl up for a nap...

I've never known a bird to eat so much so fast, not even a very large bird, let alone a juvenile Senegal parrot. He had already eaten his pellets and some cooked oatmeal for his breakfast, now this. And he's absolutely thrilled and content with himself right now...

Now we have a strict "no people food outside of the kitchen or when I'm not with it rule"; I'm actually concerned about it, he's going to blow up like a balloon, and that's not even considering the health issues he could develop besides the weight gain...

My little garbage disposal, cuddling with his full tummy...

f6a02e5846a019219feb4190ad7566be.jpg

82f4b0e87af02b7fc836d42a57aa0706.jpg

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

BeatriceC

Feb 9, 2016
San Diego, CA
Parrots
Goofy (YNA), Oscar (Goffin 'too). Foster bird Betty (RLA). RIP Cookie, 1991-2016 ('tiel), Leo (Sengal), Charlotte (scarlet macaw). Grand-birds: Liam (budgie), Donovan (lovebird), RIP Angelo (budgie)
I think it's a Sennie thing. Mine is al little piggy too; to the point where we actually started having problems with an irritated crop when he ate too fast. Here he is trying to get away with a cookie. No, he didn't get to keep it. Yes, he was very mad about that.

JamesC

Sep 3, 2011
Knoxville, TN
Parrots
Blue Crown Conures: Tootsie and Rosco.
Senegal Parrot: Sidney.

Feathers of the past:
Budgies: Sunshine, Digit, Kiwi, and Yahto.
Senegal Parrot: Kelly.
"Fly free, little ones. Love and miss you."
Mine is a big eater of just about everything too. He eats much more than the two larger blue crown conures who own me. Yet, he never seems to gain weight. Always right there in the 150ish gram range while the conures go up and down a lot. He is a lot more active than the blue crowns, though. Lots of flying. Lots of hanging upside down and swinging or climbing around his home. Close to 10 years old now and he is still and active little brat.

OP
EllenD

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
Lol, that pic of him trying to get away with the cookie is hysterical! I had to take a granola bar away from Kane as he had grabbed it off of the kitchen counter, wrapper and all, and was high-tailing it to his cage. The look of disappointment in his face when he realized I was standing there watching him was priceless. He literally saw me and just dropped the granola bar on the floor, made a little sad baby noise, and went right into his cage. It was like "Oh damn it, so close this time..."

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Latest posts