Senegal Parrot Challenged

M

Moxie

Prior to the 6 years we recently spent in Panama I owned a wonderful female Ecletus Parrot, and a B&G Macaw. There was the 'getting to know you' part of our relationship that got me bit more times than I care to admit, but afterwards there was a very good relationship, especially with the Eclectus. After not owning any birds for a number of years and having recently moving back to Wisconsin, I adopted a male Senegal Parrot. Though Moxie doesn't bloody my hand like the macaw did at first, his bites are harder to understand where they came from. When you think you've got a Senegal figured out, he reminds you that you haven't a clue. He's so stinkin' cute though that you just gotta love 'im.

ZephyrFly

Sep 21, 2014
UK
Parrots
Pazu - Green Cheek Conure - Hatch Date ~27 September 2014~
Welcome! And I understand the sentiment. My conure can be a bledy stinker, but hell if he aint cute.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
That's pretty much a trademark of any in the Poicephalus family! Even well behaved ones are prone to communicating with their beaks more readily than most other species. "Biting first, asking questions later" is typical. Robin always communicates in little nips even though he's not necessarily "biting". Birds of this genus many times will show very subtle (or pretty much undetectable to us) body language warning before striking hard. You'll find also, many Poicephalus parrots have a bite of much stronger force than any other species their size. I've had larger birds in the past, still Robin can filet your flesh like no other when he's in that mood lol. I LOVE Pois regardless!

Last edited:

Hawk

Banned
Banned
Dec 5, 2014
Media
Albums
Michigan, USA
Parrots
5 Parrots, 8 year old Blue-fronted Amazon, 2 1/2 yr. old African Grey, 2 3/4 year old Senegal. 5 month old ekkie, 5 month old Albino parakeet. Major Mitchell Cockatoo, passed away at age 68.
Senegals are fun, My 3 year old Male "Birdell", is a petite Senegal. Tiny for his size. But Reminds everyone from time to time that he's incredibly fast and can keep up, er, Bite like the big ones.

But he's so darn cute, can dance, shake the booty, or tail feathers. ( Or as we call it, an imitation of Miley Cirus...twerking. All my birds can nip at times, but Birdell tears flesh. Though he's a good boy most of the time. Gotta love a Senegal. Especially a Handy-caped one.

BirdiesMom

Jan 15, 2016
Redding, ca
Parrots
Senegal
I have a Sennie who is 13+ and has a tude beyond compare! He also can read my mind! He was a "mans" bird when we first got him...over 5 years ago. He would "hunt me down" and attack my feet if I interupted or joined them (my husband and Birdie) in whistling to/with each other!! That was when Birdie had full run of the house, and he RAN the house! He would bite me any chance he got! Not cute little love nips, but full on beak and mandable meeting in the middle of my finger, being bit in the face, having my ear being dive bombed when I am not expecting it... I have gone through the ringer with this bird. If I offered him something to eat and he didn't want it he would attack. Keep in mind, He never bit my husband.
Through the past few years I have kissed up to Birdie, preened him, bonded with him, became his "Girlfriend"... Unfortunately I do not know how to be a girlfriend to a bird, so I still get scholded (nipped, bit, attacked). Now one hand is a rival and is never safe from Birdies jealously. Bags are an arch enemy that must be anialated at all costs, especially if my hand is involved. And he seems to want to get my hand first. One of the BIG MAJOR changes that has occurred is my husband is now also feeling Birdie Wrath. He does not have the same patience level as I do. Birdie has now put himself In jeopardy of being rehomed.
Sennes can not be trusted. They can turn on you at anytime, for any reason. I love my Birdie, don't get me wrong, but they are not for the tender or meek. When they bite, they bite hard!! Just ask my vet who didn't listen to me when I told her to use her thickest gloves!! Or look at my fingers that have multiple scars... Gotta love those Senegals!

Hawk

Banned
Banned
Dec 5, 2014
Media
Albums
Michigan, USA
Parrots
5 Parrots, 8 year old Blue-fronted Amazon, 2 1/2 yr. old African Grey, 2 3/4 year old Senegal. 5 month old ekkie, 5 month old Albino parakeet. Major Mitchell Cockatoo, passed away at age 68.
Prior to the 6 years we recently spent in Panama I owned a wonderful female Ecletus Parrot, and a B&G Macaw. There was the 'getting to know you' part of our relationship that got me bit more times than I care to admit, but afterwards there was a very good relationship, especially with the Eclectus. After not owning any birds for a number of years and having recently moving back to Wisconsin, I adopted a male Senegal Parrot. Though Moxie doesn't bloody my hand like the macaw did at first, his bites are harder to understand where they came from. When you think you've got a Senegal figured out, he reminds you that you haven't a clue. He's so stinkin' cute though that you just gotta love 'im.

They are fast when they bite, and well they don't bite really, they CHOMP...!!! TWIST and let you see their teeth Ha HA ha.
( They don't have teeth, But one wouldn't know that with their bites) But ya gotta love them, Here's mine Photo Bombing in a photo.

Attachments

• Photo Bombing Senni.jpg
    Photo Bombing Senni.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 233
  • P1030462.jpg
    P1030462.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 214
Last edited:

Hawk

Banned
Banned
Dec 5, 2014
Media
Albums
Michigan, USA
Parrots
I have a Sennie who is 13+ and has a tude beyond compare! He also can read my mind! He was a "mans" bird when we first got him...over 5 years ago. He would "hunt me down" and attack my feet if I interupted or joined them (my husband and Birdie) in whistling to/with each other!! That was when Birdie had full run of the house, and he RAN the house! He would bite me any chance he got! Not cute little love nips, but full on beak and mandable meeting in the middle of my finger, being bit in the face, having my ear being dive bombed when I am not expecting it... I have gone through the ringer with this bird. If I offered him something to eat and he didn't want it he would attack. Keep in mind, He never bit my husband.
Through the past few years I have kissed up to Birdie, preened him, bonded with him, became his "Girlfriend"... Unfortunately I do not know how to be a girlfriend to a bird, so I still get scholded (nipped, bit, attacked). Now one hand is a rival and is never safe from Birdies jealously. Bags are an arch enemy that must be anialated at all costs, especially if my hand is involved. And he seems to want to get my hand first. One of the BIG MAJOR changes that has occurred is my husband is now also feeling Birdie Wrath. He does not have the same patience level as I do. Birdie has now put himself In jeopardy of being rehomed.
Sennes can not be trusted. They can turn on you at anytime, for any reason. I love my Birdie, don't get me wrong, but they are not for the tender or meek. When they bite, they bite hard!! Just ask my vet who didn't listen to me when I told her to use her thickest gloves!! Or look at my fingers that have multiple scars... Gotta love those Senegals!

Those Senni's can sure do a number on the ear. Who needs to go and
ge ears pierced when you have a senni that can do it for free.

Most Reactions

Latest posts