Serious problem

munami

Apr 13, 2019
Ottawa, ON
Parrots
Luna // F // Whiteface Pearl Cockatiel
I know that's a hard blow to take thinking that your cockatoo likes your mother better but you have to not take it personally. Birds are weird sometimes and they choose people they like, and not to mention, you haven't even determined if your mom really is the issue. It's only been about a day or two since you've come home and people have told you repeatedly that cockatoos hold grudges. It might also be the environment he's in as noodles has mentioned. Cockatoos are very smart and very very emotional. Essentially you're dealing with a human child. You have to do this at Coopers pace even if that's frustrating.

Now is the time to figure out what to do and move on from there. Prepare for the next time this happens. Ideally never leaving would be great, but that's not realistic at times. Start rebuilding your bond, feed treats, training, and petting on his terms. As noodles has mentioned, it is so extremely important you only pet on the head and neck. Your mother must know this too because it is vital.

It's hard not to take things personally because in the long run, you love these birds and when it's not reciprocated, it's rough. Just don't let it affect the action you're going to take to fix it.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Try to stop taking it personally-- this is likely temporary--- again, how long have you had Cooper?

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
This is very normal behavior for a parrot. In his mind, you up and abandoned him with no warning or explanation. Now he’s mad. Our amazon once bit me bad on the lip after we got home from a vacation. He was upset, that doesn’t mean he forever hated us. As your bird gets more used to the concept of you going away and coming back, over the years, he will get less mad and more excited to see you return.

My parents travel a few times a year and their parrots (including a cockatoo) they’ve had over 40 years know when they’re leaving because my mom sets out their bags in full view of the parrots (something that must be learned over time) and they get more excited than angry once they return. They have a bird sitter come twice a day to feed and water them, but that’s it. Personally, I think it’s more confusing for a bird to go to someone else’s house where they start to settle in VS a sitter coming to your house (ideal) or boarding at a vets office or trusted bird store.

OP
I

Ianknight

Jul 5, 2019
He is acting normal but when my mom comes around he goes psycho again, I appreciate yalls help :( .....also guys I think I’m going to adopt an umbrella because her owners are moving and she needs a good home

OP
I

Ianknight

Jul 5, 2019
Oh and sorry noodles I didn’t see your previous reply Iv had cooper for a few weeks

munami

Apr 13, 2019
Ottawa, ON
Parrots
Luna // F // Whiteface Pearl Cockatiel
I'm not sure if getting another cockatoo will help. Worse comes to worse, Cooper could see them as a threat and hate both you and the other bird even more. A few weeks is absolutely no time at all in bird world. That's not enough time to build a trust bond at all and plus you said you left for a week too. So Cooper goes into your home, just as he's settling in, his flock mate leaves him and he's unsure if he's coming back. He probably feels abandoned. While I admire that you're trying to help out another displaced bird, please consider how it will affect your current bird too.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Getting an another umbrella will NOT help this situation. I really, really, really wish you would reconsider and just ride this out..You have not given it enough time, and you hadn't established a relationship with your bird when you left, so you are really rushing things.
Plus, when you have 2 birds, you run the risk of the same thing happening (in terms of bonding) but between the birds. That having been said, your bird is fine. You just need to be patient.. Getting another bird will only complicate the situation further and potentially increase behavioral issues.

OP
I

Ianknight

Jul 5, 2019
Update on cooper the biting has decreased substantially but he still trusts my mom more

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Great news! This is a long haul, not sprint. Keep up the efforts to bond and improve trust. No reason Cooper should be a one-person bird.

OP
I

Ianknight

Jul 5, 2019
Well he loves my mom a lot , I guess I spent all that money and time for a bird for my mom ����

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Possibly, but do not give up!! This need not be a binary choice of you or your mom.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
There is always a risk like this when you get any bird, but cockatoos are less prone to being one-person birds than others. When I first got mine, for the first 3 months, she only liked my boyfriend and didn't care for me. This passed once we established a bond. Cockatoos are less likely to be permanent one-person birds than others (due to their flock dynamics) but it does take time. You really need to be patient. We are talking MONTHS.

OP
I

Ianknight

Jul 5, 2019
We are working on just making him a bird that’s nice to everybody hopefully it pays off, my family loves birds and we are thinking about getting a baby Amazon our friend has up for adoption and keeping it separate from cooper but it’s a big decision and we aren’t sure yet lol

Most Reactions