Service Bird

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
This just showed up on one of my other parrot groups & thought some here might find it interesting.....

When software executive Mike Alden boarded a flight from Boston to San Francisco last year, he was startled to see a parrot perched on top of another passenger's head.

The passenger insisted the parrot was a service animal that eased his anxiety about flying.

"He needed the parrot to keep him sane," said Alden, CEO of Axceler, which sells data-management software for corporations.
The odd things that passengers have brought on board are legendary: crocodiles, a tiger cub, even dead relatives (because it's cheaper to buy them a seat than putting them in cargo). Those instances clearly broke the rules.

But what about the bird?

Even though the pilot came out and insisted he wouldn't fly with the animal loose in the cabin, the parrot ended up staying, Alden said. Turns out, you can bring lots of different kinds of service animals onto a plane. A passenger simply needs to prove that the animal is not merely a pet. The animals must also not pose a safety risk or disruption to cabin service.

Other animals allowed, according to the Department of Transportation: Miniature horses, monkeys and pot-bellied pigs.

So the next time you hear squealing, don't assume it's that baby behind you.

ShellyBorg

Apr 8, 2013
Redding, CA
Parrots
TAG Spirit,RLA Danny,Senegal Damon, Parrotlet Opal, B&G Paris
I am hard of hearing and have a service dog that is trained to help me. If the parrot was not harnessed or in a cage it was not a service animal! Those of us who needed them try hard to make sure our animals do not interfere with others and are undercontral at all times. This new swing of everyone claiming its a service animal is making it hard on those of us who need them

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
I'm not sure about service animals, but I do know that one animal is allowed on board as long as the carrier can fit underneath the seat in front of you. You have to make a reservation before hand though.

Jtbirds

Banned
Banned
Mar 6, 2013
Pennsylvania
There are therapy birds but never heard of a service bird. My friend had a cockatoo that was a theray bird and I had the chance to do so with a couple of mine in the last, but haven't.

BillsBirds

Jan 9, 2012
Largo, Florida
Parrots
Timneh African Grey (Bailey), Lovebird (Elvis)
Parrots can be used as "Emotional Service Animals". You need a doctor's letter explaining it's use with your condition. The Americans with Disabilities Act recognizes things like anxiety, post traumatic stress disorder, and other psychological issues, as qualifying for ESA animals, whatever they may be. So, Parrots are used as Service Animals.

Jtbirds

Banned
Banned
Mar 6, 2013
Pennsylvania
bills isnt that considered more of a therapy type animal compared to an animal doin a service like the usds group.. because what you said is what i had a chance to go with and they were saying therapy:p.

BillsBirds

Jan 9, 2012
Largo, Florida
Parrots
Timneh African Grey (Bailey), Lovebird (Elvis)
Hmm...that's what I was told by someone I know who trains service dogs. I haven't researched it very much.

Blue

Aug 16, 2012
portland, or
Parrots
Odin - CAG
Salty- Hahn's Macaw
Greenie - Eclectus
Lexi- Eclectus
bills isnt that considered more of a therapy type animal compared to an animal doin a service like the usds group.. because what you said is what i had a chance to go with and they were saying therapy:p.

I think the difference would be if the animal goes some where to visit different people, it's therapy. If the animals stays with one person all the time, its a service animal

goalerjones

Oct 24, 2011
Parrots
Hahn's macaw, RIP George, Jenday Conure
Hahnzel keeps me sane and makes it look like I'm not talking to myself as much!

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Merlin & Charlie (Senegals)
There are therapy birds but never heard of a service bird. My friend had a cockatoo that was a theray bird and I had the chance to do so with a couple of mine in the last, but haven't.

Therapy and Service animals come hand in hand. By providing emotional therapy, they're providing a service of continual emotional stability. So it can just sometimes be a jumble of the words confusing people.

Service animals are usually those that stay with their guardian such as drug dogs, balance dogs, whereas therapy animals are usually dogs that are brought to care homes, hospitals etc for a wider range of therapy for more people :)

I also disagree with something someone said about the animal needing to be harnessed to be a 'service' animal. Guide dogs/assistance/balance etc, need their harness for their work, other animals however do not need to be 'controlled' or help the owner through their harness contact.

Some autistic children have 'service' dogs who are pretty much pets who provide the child with reassurance (aka. emotional support/therapy!) that a human can't bring. Doesn't make him any less of a service dog because he doesn't need a big bright label and harness on him when 'serving'.

Any animal can qualify as a service or therapy animal as far as I'm aware. However you have to prove their ability and use to you/people using the animal, so obviously my senegal parrot isn't going to give me stability on my feet through the use of a harness...

I buy it, though with my parrot, I'd definitely not include him as a therapy pet, he sends me to therapy if anything else!

Zazoothehahns

Apr 5, 2013
I love love love animals, I can under stand a pig, they are extremely smart, and while my first true love is for horses, and I have owned both large and small, almost all knowledgeable equine owners will strongly advise against a mini horse being a service animal. Therapy animal,yes, many are great therapy animals, as I believe there are many species that are intuitive, calm and have a relaxing effect on those that come in contact with them, but not service animals.
Service animals usually are capable of opening doors, picking up bringing objects on command, bringing the phone or alerting others if there is an emergency, detecting oncoming strokes, guiding a handler to safety, flipping on switches and providing needed service to the handler. A therapy animal is certified, but doesn't need to possess any skills other than being unflappable, gentle, calming and beneficial to the well being of the individuals they visit. After the visit, these animals are typically allowed to do whatever this species is known to do, minis/equines/goats whatever, hang out in the barnyard or pasture, cats lounge about, and so on. A service animal remains nearby or beside their owner waiting for their commands.

Last edited:

Aquila

Nov 19, 2012
Philadelphia
Parrots
Sydney - Blue Front Amazon
Gonzo - Congo African Grey
Willow - Cockatiel
RIP:
Snowy, Ivy, Kiwi, Ghost - Parakeets
Berry - Cinnamon GCC
The way I've understood it (I'm a professional dog trainer,) is that a service animal is trained to perform a specific task or "service." Mobility dog, seeing eye dog, seizure alert dog, etc. Where as a Therapy animal is a well behaved, emotionally supportive dog, that performs nonspecific tasks or offers comfort.

One could argue that a bird could make a better service animal than a dog for things like seizures or the blind! Giving worded instructions!

Most Reactions