set back

AMR500

Feb 12, 2011
So tonight when I got home from work Bela decided for whatever reason that my hand was the devil and bit me very hard drawing blood. I was a little shocked, and pulled away. But I was determined, so I offered my hand again - and again he nailed me, only this time wouldn't let go, despite me pushing into him, so I did the earthquake and let him 'fall' to the ground. I tried taking him away from his cage - but he exhibited the same behaviour. So I went downstairs and talked to one of the avian tech's and she said the best thing to do was put him in his roost cage - dark and give him a time out for the night. She said it was more for me than him. I am set back almost more than him, as I'm afraid to offer my hand now. My finger is swollen up quite badly.
She said sometimes you just never know what had them do this, something might have given him a flash back of his previous abusive home or who knows what. SO she said to go back to having him step up to a towel/dowel and start there again.
I'm sorry - I'm just so upset. Since I got him, he has NEVER bitten me like that before. It scared me! He's been getting 11-12 hours of sleep at night, lots of socialization in the evening etc. I did notice the last few mornings he's been grabbing 'harder' with his beak to step up out of his cage - but nothing bad.
When I put him in his cage at night he doesn't like it and he comes frantically climbing down the side as I leave.
I'm just so frustrated and upset. Obviously I'll go back to the towel/dowel training but am so upset with this set back. She says it can be quite normal.

Anyone else have input?

Most Reactions