severes or hahns. what do u guys and gals think?

Jazzz

Feb 8, 2012
I am so torn between a severe or a hahns macaw, i am also getting mixed reviews about their behaviours. if there r any mini macaw owners out there chime in please.

I currently own a cockatiel and a sun conure named cuzzz and jazzz respectively:green1:

retdpd

Jan 9, 2012
Media
Eastpointe Michigan
Parrots
Hahns Macaw(named ELMO)
I have an adopted Hahns(Elmo) about 21/2 years old. He is a bit nippy at times and a bit loud.

He is my built in alarm system, if someone comes to my door.

Mine is definately a one person bird but will tolerate others if I'm not around.

I would not own one if I had small children as he does have a strong and sharp beak and has bitten a couple of friends who made the mistake of putting thier finger through the bars. They learned no stitches were required luckily.

He had some issues because his original owner died of cancer and was given up at a rescue. He was listed as unadoptable because he was so nippy.

He definately is a lot of bird in a small package. He is loud and does throw a tantrum on occasion. He has no fear I have 2- cats Bert(22lbs and Ernie(17lbs) he will call them purr at them and on a couple occasions went after them. They just ignore him.

He is the type you have to understand and learn from !!!Once you do he is just an outstanding companion. We have been companions since August of 2011. I would never trade him or wish I had a different bird.

So if you have the time,patience and did your research I would highly reccomend a Hahns.

You'll come to love his independence and attitude like I have.

Hope this helps

Last edited:

luvmytooo

Dec 22, 2011
New York
Parrots
*Yoshi* Goffins Cockatoo
* Rosie*Rose Breasted Galah
*Stella*Hyacinth Macaw
*Baby*Catalina Macaw

*Multiple Parakeets*
I was looking into the mini macaws at one time. I actually was almost convinced I wanted a Illigers though. Everything I read up on the Illigers I liked but the only one I found was in a pet store that I didnt have any respect for because of the way they kept their birds so I passed on that decision . Good thing though because a friend of mine who got very sick wanted me to take her Rose Breasted Cockatoo . Two toos will keep you on your toes ! :p

Good luck with whoever you choose :)

JJones1719

Mar 9, 2011
Media
MD
Parrots
7 Year old SI Eclectus named Guapo, I have a 6 year old GW Macaw named Neleno
If you don't mind me asking, why are you only limiting yourself to smaller Macaws when there are so many larger Macaws that are not nippy and make wonderful companions. Just wondering. Thanks and best of luck to you. Joe

DannyA93

Jan 22, 2012
Las Cruces, NM
Parrots
Pineapple Turquoise Greencheek Conure-Ivy❤️, Male Cockatiel-Lusa (aka Bub =D)
I want a macaw but they live for sooo long! thats probly the only reason im kind of scared to get one! i don't want to have to make him get a new home after 60 or 70 years with me:( and i was looking up mini macaws too and they dont live as long and just smaller? idk maybe im looking at it the wrong way.

luvmytooo

Dec 22, 2011
New York
Parrots
*Yoshi* Goffins Cockatoo
* Rosie*Rose Breasted Galah
*Stella*Hyacinth Macaw
*Baby*Catalina Macaw

*Multiple Parakeets*
I want a macaw but they live for sooo long! thats probly the only reason im kind of scared to get one! i don't want to have to make him get a new home after 60 or 70 years with me:( and i was looking up mini macaws too and they dont live as long and just smaller? idk maybe im looking at it the wrong way.

Either one you decide , what would happen to it if you ..ahem...something happened to you suddenly ?
Always good to have a will , get someone you know well that would take the best care of your animals , to take ownership of pets when the inevitable happens. And make sure they are aware and are ok with this. You will feel differently about which bird you choose once you take care of this albeit touchy subject. ;)

thebirdnerd

Dec 28, 2010
Parrots
Whitefaced Pied Male Tiel- official greeter at the Rainbow Bridge, forever in our hearts,
Turquoise Mutation IRN,
Congo African Grey- please come home to us,
Blue mutation IRN
Ifyou are set on a mini, I would go with the Hahn's. They have great personalities (if socialized properly) and good vocabularies. If size isn't a problem then I would go with a blue and gold macaw. Severes get aggressive when they get older.. I'm sure there are many people who have Severes that are sweet, but every one I've come in contact with were nippy to say the least. Just my experiences with these birds..

maggiesmom

Feb 17, 2012
New here but had to just give my experience. As for the Severe Macaw. My analogy is this...they are not a first time bird, not a second time bird and quite possibly not a third time bird. Minature Napoleon for sure! Some severe's I'm sure are just born with a "gentler" demeanor, however ours was not one of those. We hand fed him from two weeks old and was the sweetest, most loving bird until he was a teenager. From that time on he was a bird to be feared LOL. I have many many years of experience with macaws and toos and our Eddie by far was the most challenging of all.

Mike

Mar 15, 2011
Media
Albums
Atlanta, GA USA
Parrots
A Greenwing, a Sun Conure, and a Hahn's Macaw

Yes, you're looking at it the wrong way. Instead, ask yourself what quality of life you would give to the bird, and what quality of life the bird would bring to you. You can always ensure a good second home for your bird if you take the time to make arrangements in advance.

Geez, if life expectantcy was such an issue then nobody would have children, would they?

Mike

Mar 15, 2011
Media
Albums
Atlanta, GA USA
Parrots
A Greenwing, a Sun Conure, and a Hahn's Macaw
My daughter has had two Hahn's. The first was large and quite a biter. The second, is small, cute and cuddly, and quite the personality. I'm not sure I could tell you which is better.

mandolynn

Feb 25, 2012
ND
Parrots
Indian Ringneck Parakeet(Flora)
Red headed Amazon(Paco)
Family Parrots-
Blue Crowned Conure(Sapphire) Mitred Conure(Sammy) Severe Macaw(Nikita)
My brother has a severe we adopted and, yes, she can be naughty, but not any more than a big macaw. It took her a long time to bond with us, but she snuggles alot and talks up a storm. I love severes, they can be loud and demanding, but are awesome birds. But the severe is quite a bit bigger than a hahns and does have a decently long life expectancy

DannyA93

Jan 22, 2012
Las Cruces, NM
Parrots
Pineapple Turquoise Greencheek Conure-Ivy❤️, Male Cockatiel-Lusa (aka Bub =D)

Yes, you're looking at it the wrong way. Instead, ask yourself what quality of life you would give to the bird, and what quality of life the bird would bring to you. You can always ensure a good second home for your bird if you take the time to make arrangements in advance.

Geez, if life expectantcy was such an issue then nobody would have children, would they?

Hmm. thank u first off haha and that does make sense wen i'm ready for a macaw ill definatley give it tha best life i could possibly give!! and for tha children thing i think that different cuz a bird cnt jus move out and start his life like a child would when they grow up haha

Most Reactions

Latest posts